Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jun 26, 2013
Chicago
Ok Eric you are all set bud. One sealed box of 1998 Topps Tek is on it's way to you my friend. Let me know if yoy pull anything good. Thanks and enjoy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Sorry but bidding up for the sake of bidding is paranoia. Look at the feedback and there are actually random people buying what turn out to be rare cards.

This thread does not affect prices as much as you would think. In fact the 90s thread has not affect prices either but rather shared interest on cool cards. I have talked to numerous guys collecting 90s inserts and they have no clue about FCB. The difficulty to find TEK has driven demand and interest.

Last Lankfors diffractor surfaced and my monster bid was crushes. Those of us willing to pay over book to acquire our cards have affected the market based upon supply and demand. Hell I just traded a diffractor for three base Lankfords to help fill my set.

And yes I know this is my personal opinion and not everyone will agree.

Last edited:

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Have you posted them before in this thread? If not, I'd like to see 'em!

Here you go.

1998ToppsTekDiffractor.jpg
1998ToppsTekDiffractor89.jpg

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Uhh..Why would that be considered paranoia? Why would anyone bid for the sake of bidding unless they are just trying to help their seller friend out? What would the paranoia be about? Rare? Still no clue about how many TEK diffractors of each specific card # pattern# there are since that number has never been released.

Sorry but bidding up for the sake of bidding is paranoia. Look at the feedback and there are actually random people buying what turn out to be rare cards.

This thread does not affect prices as much as you would think. In fact the 90s thread has not affect prices either but rather shared interest on cool cards. I have talked to numerous guys collecting 90s inserts and they have no clue about FCB. The difficulty to find TEK has driven demand and interest.

Last Lankfors diffractor surfaced and my monster bid was crushes. Those of us willing to pay over book to acquire our cards have affected the market based upon supply and demand. Hell I just traded a diffractor for three base Lankfords to help fill my set.

And yes I know this is my personal opinion and not everyone will agree.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Maybe thats why you dont care for the 1998 Topps TEK set.

But I do love the set, just don't feel compelled by the diffractors, even as a Burnitz player collector. I can kinda see them being more of a rush if you're collecting the set/as much as possible

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Uhh..Why would that be considered paranoia? Why would anyone bid for the sake of bidding unless they are just trying to help their seller friend out? What would the paranoia be about? Rare? Still no clue about how many TEK diffractors of each specific card # pattern# there are since that number has never been released.

There are fewer Diffractors listed at any given time when compared to other higher value cards. In the circle of collectors that I know (outside of FCB) TEK have gained steam fur to rarity. So many people have figured out what you knew long ago, this is just another affect of the 90s insert craze and not FCB or someone here trying to screw anyone else.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I hadn't really been thinking about Tek until I made those recent deals. Last week I even dreamed about Tek. I was opening a box of 98 Tek and got Diffractors of Don Mattingly and John Valentin. ROFL

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Another base '98 Tek (Ripken) masquerading as a diffractor, with a tiny little scan to boot. Already bid up from .99 to 15.50 in a few hours. Four more days to go. The red printing on the sleeve says "diffractor" so it must be one!

Cal Ripken Topps Tek Diffractor Insert Super RARE No Reserve $$$$ | eBay

Yikes.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if at least half the sellers doing think they might actually have a Diffractor. To someone unfamiliar with Tek, a base card looks pretty "special." And that pattern in particular is possibly the brightest of the entire set - way more white space than clear space.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yikes.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if at least half the sellers doing think they might actually have a Diffractor. To someone unfamiliar with Tek, a base card looks pretty "special." And that pattern in particular is possibly the brightest of the entire set - way more white space than clear space.
You're back!

Now let's set a date for this break ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts