Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Interesting.... got outbid on ebay by member here for a Griffey pattern # 1 whom I know already has it.
Not sure what to make of that. Oh well. What goes around come around I guess .

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
If you are not happy with the Buhner card I sent two months ago looked at it pretty closely for any blemishes please return it and I will refund your money...Why are you waiting til now to openly
complain about it on this board rather than send me a message when you received the card 2 months ago if you were not satisfied with the card ? I traded for that card on your behalf and then sent you the card to help you immediately.

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
If you are not happy with the Buhner card I sent two months ago looked at it pretty closely for any blemishes please return it and I will refund your money...Why are you waiting til now to openly
complain about it on this board rather than send me a message when you received the card 2 months ago if you were not satisfied with the card ? I traded for that card on your behalf and then sent you the card to help you immediately.

No longer messing with these TEK lists.

Nowhere in my post did I express unhappiness or disappointment. Pattern 62 is well known for spotting, so it's probably the best I could do anyways.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
(November 12, 2014) Received & down to 3 now! 29 - 39 - 44 left. 87 of 90 = 96.6%! Here's hoping for a Black Friday COMC miracle.

Now over 5 months without a sniff of any of my last three. I've picked up maybe 5 or 6 dupes since them, as I've taken the position that having a pile of dupes could someday help in a trade of some sort. I may have my 2nd set done before my 1st!

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
The problem is that anyone who had any interest in collecting Ken Caminitti (loved that guy from his Houston Astros days before he ramped up the steroids after becoming a Padre) in the 98 TEK was working who didn't complete it doesn't really want to buy an entire set now but some will pay 5x or more for the final ones just to finally finish off their own sets. Its the chase of competing the sets yourself that is the reward..not the set itself necessarily so outright buying someone's competed set unless they are a huge new fan of that player doesn't do that for some set building collectors.

However, Ive had two $22,000+ offers to buy my 8100 card Master set since the start of year so it really depends on the specific player and the deep pockets of the collector involved. One of FCB members brags to have a fish on the hook who buys his/her Juan Gonzalez Diffractors for $ 150 each so it depends on the $$$ of the collector

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
The problem is that anyone who had any interest in collecting Ken Caminitti (loved that guy from his Houston Astros days before he ramped up the steroids after becoming a Padre) in the 98 TEK was working who didn't complete it doesn't really want to buy an entire set now but some will pay 5x or more for the final ones just to finally finish off their own sets. Its the chase of competing the sets yourself that is the reward..not the set itself necessarily so outright buying someone's competed set unless they are a huge new fan of that player doesn't do that for some set building collectors.

However, Ive had two $22,000+ offers to buy my 8100 card Master set since the start of year so it really depends on the specific player and the deep pockets of the collector involved. One of FCB members brags to have a fish on the hook who buys his/her Juan Gonzalez Diffractors for $ 150 each so it depends on the $$$ of the collector

Just wondering how long did it take you to make the master set. I am only 27 away from the base set of Jeter but I am fine with slowly picking these up one at a time. Still to many rare cards I need to worry about cards that more times than not I can get for under $10.00. But I bet the entire 90 card set of Jeter if sold would go for over $1000.00.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

Wait... You have received $22k or better offers and you said no? That is a die-hard... You're a bigger man than me. Good stuff.

Also, yea, I am probably one of a handful of Belle collectors who gives a hoot about his cards lol

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Just wondering how long did it take you to make the master set. I am only 27 away from the base set of Jeter but I am fine with slowly picking these up one at a time. Still to many rare cards I need to worry about cards that more times than not I can get for under $10.00. But I bet the entire 90 card set of Jeter if sold would go for over $1000.00.

Finished it in 2004 so five or six years. But at that time you could go in the back door at ebay and contact other 98 TEK bidders and make trades with other guys bidding on TEKS
Much more difficult now since the set is going on 18 years old and Jeter is now a HOF to be very popular player and many collector who might have some 98 TEK of Jeter are probably going to hold onto them until he gets voted into the HOF in four or five years.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Nowhere in my post did I express unhappiness or disappointment. Pattern 62 is well known for spotting, so it's probably the best I could do anyways.

I checked my Thome pattern 62 and yep, it has lots of spots. I think the reason pattern 62 has spotting problems is because it has a spot pattern. Pattern 36 looked fine, so I lucked out on that pattern.

I've got the Buhner pattern #7 coming in soon. I'm looking for Thome Teks. I need patterns 4, 16, 17, 22, 24, 28, 34, 42, 44, 52-54, 59, 63, 83, 90.

I also need 1999 and 2000 Thome Teks, which is listed near the end of that thread. Let me know. Thanks.:p

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Now over 5 months without a sniff of any of my last three. I've picked up maybe 5 or 6 dupes since them, as I've taken the position that having a pile of dupes could someday help in a trade of some sort. I may have my 2nd set done before my 1st!

You are a smart man. I have traded a few of my Thome dupes for other Thome cards I needed. You never know, it could help you land the last RJ card you need. I won a lot of 123 Teks this week but not a single RJ card in it. They are really hard to come by. Good luck getting the last 3.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
LOL... didn't you have it at auction? Did it get no bids or you just pulled it because you didn't want it to sell for minimum? Sucks man, sorry to hear that, makes me think about what my Belle set would go for lol

I've had it at BIN for 79.99 for a while. I sent it to auction once just out of curiosity and it only made it up to 45 bucks. The amount of shipping I paid to put this set together for individual cards was probably a couple hundred bucks alone. I'm not that motivated to sell the set since I'm doing way better financially these days. I even picked up a couple singles lately to add to the Padres PC which is my main focus now.

I sold off some of my more rare Caminiti cards earlier this year at decent prices. I just got burnt out on the Caminiti collection. Maybe I got a lil bi polar and just started selling them out of boredom. I kind of what to start super collecting another player.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California

I would take the 22k and run.

Nice to see you guys are still around lol

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I've had it at BIN for 79.99 for a while. I sent it to auction once just out of curiosity and it only made it up to 45 bucks. The amount of shipping I paid to put this set together for individual cards was probably a couple hundred bucks alone. I'm not that motivated to sell the set since I'm doing way better financially these days. I even picked up a couple singles lately to add to the Padres PC which is my main focus now.

I sold off some of my more rare Caminiti cards earlier this year at decent prices. I just got burnt out on the Caminiti collection. Maybe I got a lil bi polar and just started selling them out of boredom. I kind of what to start super collecting another player.
No offense to you but I think it is chicken sh!t when people run auctions just to see how it goes to then pull it down. Again, not taking a shot at you but rather sad it has got to the point where you had to do that. I guess you just need to sit on it and probably never realize the full price you've paid. I mean you'll never recoup what it cost you to build it one card at a time obviously. I wouldn't even want to know what I have spent in just shipping alone for my Belle collection. Even if I sold the entire thing for $10k, a huge portion of that would be just recouping shipping and other fees I have paid over the years. Sad to sit back and think about it I guess...

Latest posts