Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cashner/Rea/Guerrero Traded to the Marlins For Naylor/Castillo/Cosart/Capps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Haven't heard yet who they're getting back.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Sources: The Marlins, who have been looking for rotation depth, have an agreement in place to acquire Padres right-hander Andrew Cashner.

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Just got more interesting.

Barry Jackson ‏@flasportsbuzz
Per source, Marlins also getting pitcher Colin Rea from Padres. So Miami getting two starting pitchers from SD, Cashner and Rea

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Preller gets their best power bat. Wow.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Source: Naylor among players headed from #Marlins to #Padres.

[MENTION=1888]JoshHamilton[/MENTION]

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Mlbtraderumors is saying at least one player from the Marlins major league roster is going to San Diego also

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Mlbtraderumors is saying at least one player from the Marlins major league roster is going to San Diego also

No, it's another minor league pitcher headed to SD - Luis Castillo.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
The housecleaning continues...

Maybe in a couple of years the Padres can contend. They seem to be loading up on young (possible) talent.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Lot of buzz in New york that the nats would trade Lucas Giolito for Andrew Miller. If true the Yankee's would be crazy not to do it.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Feels like they could hold out for more given how badly the Nats need a closer

Which is a shame because closers are way too overvalued as it is. On top of the fact that they only pitch one inning a game they generally have very short shelf lives and are in essence just pitchers that couldn't hack it as a starter. If I were the Yankees GM I would jump on the opportunity to get a potential front line starter.

Prospects are always a gamble but at the very worst if Giolito can't hack it as a starter, they can always convert him into a closer. If he does come anywhere close to reaching his potential the Yankees will have made out like bandits, as front-line starters have HUGE value these days.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Here is is the reason. Giolito is unproven. Yes he has tons of upside. But think about Joba, Hughes, Prior, and tons of other can't miss #1 guys. Miller was almost like that but something clicked. He has a low salary compared to other closers and has two more years on his contract and not a rental. He is dominant. The Yankees aren't rebuilding. They are reloading and that is why the even want to make a push for Chris Sale. So if they can hold off trading Miller then keep him and Betances together and maybe sign Chapman in the offseason because they have money coming off the books soon enough.

I don't understand it myself, wow!! How is Giolito not enough for Miller, what are they gunna get for him? I just don't get it

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
"Hey, do you want our worst pitcher?"

"No way!"

"Ok, ok, how about our TWO worst pitchers?"

"You drive a hard bargain. Deal!"

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Here is is the reason. Giolito is unproven. Yes he has tons of upside. But think about Joba, Hughes, Prior, and tons of other can't miss #1 guys. Miller was almost like that but something clicked. He has a low salary compared to other closers and has two more years on his contract and not a rental. He is dominant. The Yankees aren't rebuilding. They are reloading and that is why the even want to make a push for Chris Sale. So if they can hold off trading Miller then keep him and Betances together and maybe sign Chapman in the offseason because they have money coming off the books soon enough.

He "clicked" the moment that he only had to pitch 1 inning a game. That happens with many failed starters, generally the ones who are very good the first time through the order but then collapse after that because the opposing team quickly figures them out and adjusts. Closers are the most overvalued players on the team. If I had an opportunity to grab a "potential" frontline starter for a 1 IP man I'd grab it...especially if I've already got one on the team who's nearly as good (Betances...another failed starter). Sure, he's just a prospect and could turn out to be nothing more than another 1 IP man like Miller or Betances (or maybe not even that) but it's worth the gamble in my mind. The return value is immense if it works out. I wouldn't even look at this trade as a rebuild move, just something to help secure the future. After all, the Yankees already have another top closer on the roster who's younger.

Members online

Latest posts