Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Things most collectors don't know...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Along those lines - Tom Glavine has a "rookie card" in the 1987 Sportflics Team Preview set as a member of the Atlanta Braves, one year prior to all his major release rookie cards....

Now that is something I never knew!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
You use to have to go to the Baseball card store or a show in order to get cards you need on your checklist haha

Jan 14, 2009
6 original version checklists (sp because only some are this version)...6 amended checklists (also sp for the same reason as the 6 original versions)....

I don't think the checklists are exactly short-printed. Only one version can be found in packs. The amended versions exist only in the factory set printing of the product which is arguably an entirely different printing as most cards have an alteration in border pattern and/or text arrangement on back. Practically two separate sets. Had they been found in both formats (packs and factory), that would be different.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Much more basic and relative to the SP talk above......... It seems like many collectors think that SP just means that a card is limited in general. Most don't seem to be aware that SP refers to a card that is printed in lower quantities than other cards IN THE SAME SET. So a card #/10 is NOT SP'd if all of the other cards are also #/10.
Or the same card picture is 25, 50, 99, 150, 199, 299, 399, 499 in that same set

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I miss the gum that would shatter because it was so stale. Mix that with a little big league chew, happy kid.

A lot of people still don't know that the term Broder cards (used to reference un-licensed cards) originated from a father/son duo, Ed and Rob Broder, that created un-licensed sets (I think one was a photographer and the other made the cards).

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Along those lines - Tom Glavine has a "rookie card" in the 1987 Sportflics Team Preview set as a member of the Atlanta Braves, one year prior to all his major release rookie cards....

yup....was on a trip to penn state as a member of the south carolina state math team when we stopped in either a toys-r-us , woolworth , or walgreens....thanks to having no shops or shows in my small town , i'd never seen anything like the little boxed sets they had so i picked up a bag full including the sportflics preview set (with the glavine AND a decent maddux/palmeiro cubs card) , a toys-r-us set (whose bonds got VERY pricey at one time) , a woolworth set , a k-mart set , and a few other random odds and ends (the variety in that single store - carrying k-mart , woolworth , and toys-r-us sets - is why i can't recall exactly what store it was)

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
That in the 80s, PANINI used to make Topps stickers for the albums.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Not all years of sweet spot fade.
2007 was the bad year because of a horrible fake baseball leather. maybe less then 1% of all other years combined actually are or did fade.
In any search or post I make online several people always ask or state about said fading.
One horrible year seemingly groups the other 8 great years into the same category

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
2007 was the bad year because of a horrible fake baseball leather. maybe less then 1% of all other years combined actually are or did fade.
In any search or post I make online several people always ask or state about said fading.
One horrible year seemingly groups the other 8 great years into the same category

2007 depends on marker or pen used and surface. Got some Hunter Pence cards that are still doing quite well but they seem to signed on a different surface with a different pen(even the ball hide feels different.

Along those lines...I love ud glass(basketball) autos and autos on acetate in general. Sad thing is, they too seem to fade. Not all of them. But some do.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
2007 depends on marker or pen used and surface. Got some Hunter Pence cards that are still doing quite well but they seem to signed on a different surface with a different pen(even the ball hide feels different.

Along those lines...I love ud glass(basketball) autos and autos on acetate in general. Sad thing is, they too seem to fade. Not all of them. But some do.

I believe my Hunter Pence is from 07 and is green ink auto on bat... seems to be doing fine but Ill have to examine. Are you collecting him?

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

theses did too

sweetgloves.jpg

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
From an '88 Beckett, Gant, Williams, Kelly, Berorra, Stottlemyre, etc are listed as sp.

In total, that Beckett listed 25 base cards as short printed AND every mvp card as sp too. But makes no mention of checklists.

Funny how 27 years later, there's still un certainty.

Cool stuff about the 1988 Donruss set SP's. It's the 1 non-Topps set that I tried to collect, at least for awhile. My fat little 1990 Dr. James Beckett price guide lists 26 SP's. I've got 15 of them but all of them from 651-660. The checklists aren't listed as SP's but just variations A (from packs) and B (from sets). I've got a few of the A'S but none of the B's.

As far as the MVP cards, the book just says the last 13 cards are somewhat tougher to find than the 1st 13. I'm having a tougher time with the 1st 13.:confused:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I believe my Hunter Pence is from 07 and is green ink auto on bat... seems to be doing fine but Ill have to examine. Are you collecting him?

Yep!

As for the autos, most susceptible were the cheap plasticky leather ones. The old school sweet spots seem like legit omlb's were used. But my 2007 pence autos that were on balls were signed in what looks like some sort of gold fine tip paint pen(I mean it's a super fine point). The gloves and bats don't seem to have too many problems. Some bats look like they too had paint as opposed to sharpie used.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Mickey Mantle's first name was chosen because his father was such a big fan of Mickey Cochrane. - Mickey Mantle was named after Mickey Cochrane.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Mickey Mantle's first name was chosen because his father was such a big fan of Mickey Cochrane. - Mickey Mantle was named after Mickey Cochrane.
Mickey Cochrane got his nickname from his Irish Heratige, being just another "Irish Mick". Before that, his nickname was Kid Cochrane when he was a football and basketball star.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
in 1992 Diamond Kings became Inserts, and not part of the regular set

And there were four Diamond Kings per box with four "stacks" of cards per box and each Diamond King located the same number of packs down in each stack. One never bought from a box unless you saw the box opened before your eyes.

Good memory Magicpapa. I had not thought of that in years.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
And there were four Diamond Kings per box with four "stacks" of cards per box and each Diamond King located the same number of packs down in each stack. One never bought from a box unless you saw the box opened before your eyes.

Good memory Magicpapa. I had not thought of that in years.
remember_zpslnx6aier.jpg

Members online