Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1998teampinnacleGOLD.jpg

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I finally did it. I went and picked up a "cameo" card. But! I've set some ground rules.

1) Only the rarest of rare
2) Must be 60/40 or better.

In other words, if the 1999 Fleer Jeremy Giambi is a 50/50, I consider this a 60/40.

JG1.jpg

JG2.jpg

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD

Dang is that the /25 one? Been maybe a year or two since I saw one if so. My fault for searching "Cal Ripken" instead of just "Ripken" :(

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Dang is that the /25 one? Been maybe a year or two since I saw one if so. My fault for searching "Cal Ripken" instead of just "Ripken" :(

Yeah, I'm still sick over it. I sold mine a few years ago and this was my chance to buy one back. Not that my bid was a lockdown bid, but ya never know :)

The one I used to own:
attachment.php

This is the only one in my collection:
attachment.php

I was hoping board members picked up the Ripken and the Belle that ended this weekend...?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Need some help guys. Here is a 1990 Donruss Double Front card of Belle and Buckner on eBay. I know there are three versions of this card (1) both sides are glossy, (2) Belle glossy, Buckner not and (3) Buckner glossy, Belle not. I can't seem to figure out if this is (2) or (3) explained before. The card says "Back Glossy" which leads me to believe the Belle side is glossy but the pictures tell a different story because the Buckner looks like the glossy side for sure. Also, the others that I have of this card have Belle on the front, so not sure what to believe. The seller has no clue and doesn't know for sure, which is pissing me off. This might or not be a version I need and trying to figure it out... thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221863928254?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Item number: 221863928254

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
Need some help guys. Here is a 1990 Donruss Double Front card of Belle and Buckner on eBay. I know there are three versions of this card (1) both sides are glossy, (2) Belle glossy, Buckner not and (3) Buckner glossy, Belle not. I can't seem to figure out if this is (2) or (3) explained before. The card says "Back Glossy" which leads me to believe the Belle side is glossy but the pictures tell a different story because the Buckner looks like the glossy side for sure. Also, the others that I have of this card have Belle on the front, so not sure what to believe. The seller has no clue and doesn't know for sure, which is pissing me off. This might or not be a version I need and trying to figure it out... thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221863928254?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Item number: 221863928254

The Buckner side looks like the glossy side to me. I have both glossy/dull versions of Belle/Buckner and when I compare the (bad) listing images with mine, it looks to me that Buckner is glossy because the coloring is brighter. Since they're double fronts, the "back" is relative, but usually from what I've seen Belle is typically considered the "front" of the card so maybe either Beckett slabbed it wrong or the person who got it graded requested it to be slabbed a certain way.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The Buckner side looks like the glossy side to me. I have both glossy/dull versions of Belle/Buckner and when I compare the (bad) listing images with mine, it looks to me that Buckner is glossy because the coloring is brighter. Since they're double fronts, the "back" is relative, but usually from what I've seen Belle is typically considered the "front" of the card so maybe either Beckett slabbed it wrong or the person who got it graded requested it to be slabbed a certain way.
This is exactly what I am seeing and thinking. What do you think about the price? The Buckner glossy and Belle not card is the version of the three that I am interested in. Are your versions in your PC or are they for trade/sale? Just curious. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
I wasn't going to believe it until I had it in hand, well, here it is! My biggest coup in quite awhile. It was listed with other Encore Golds /125 but given that it was a large Piazza collection sell-off I was certain another knowledgeable collector would pick up the trail. Safe to say my max bid was well in excess of 5x where it ended.

100.jpg

101.jpg

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
This is exactly what I am seeing and thinking. What do you think about the price? The Buckner glossy and Belle not card is the version of the three that I am interested in. Are your versions in your PC or are they for trade/sale? Just curious. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

I'd be ok with $35 for a BGS 9.5 of either version. Overall, any of the Red/Red test issue versions are pretty hard to come by and are usually pretty condition sensitive. I think I had my ungraded Belle glossy listed a while back for ~$20 so if you can get it for close to the starting bid price, even better. And since you asked, yes, both my Belle versions are for sale/trade. Both are ungraded. The Belle glossy is in very nice shape (would probably grade very high). The Belle dull version (the one you're interested in) is a bit off-center, but otherwise sharp. However, if I were you, I would want the BGS 9.5 for the PC.

BTW...If anyone else is looking for their player from that test issue, I still have a variety of glossy/dull and dull/glossy cards that I can probably help you out with. Just PM me...

Members online

Latest posts