Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is There Going To Be A "Pay It Forward" Thread This Year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I was part of this last year, was a very good idea and I enjoyed being part of it.Bummed there isn't one started yet this year.Or am I missing it somewhere?Did it really go that bad last year?No one wants to participate this year?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I think it turned into the "Free to a Good Home" thread, which irself spawned the "Upper Echelon" thread. Lots of generosity here!!

- Rodrick

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
No

Go to the free to go home thread as a way to get involved, give away cards, pay nice cards forward, etc.

All attempts at the Upper were a disaster and probably did more bad than good IMO.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
No

Go to the free to go home thread as a way to get involved, give away cards, pay nice cards forward, etc.

All attempts at the Upper were a disaster and probably did more bad than good IMO.

---

The lack of people willing/able to make the higher end one work is, whether we like it or not, a microcosm of what the board turned into. A group of guys that feed off of free handouts instead of guys that genuinely do something for the betterment of the group.

Just my opinion though.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The lack of people willing/able to make the higher end one work is, whether we like it or not, a microcosm of what the board turned into. A group of guys that feed off of free handouts instead of guys that genuinely do something for the betterment of the group.

Just my opinion though.

I can't disagree with you.

My comment was strictly straight forward and honest. I don't mind not having it around any longer. I've given away countless items in the free to go home thread and have enjoyed every minute of it.

Just a simple answer to the question which the title reads - No

---

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal

Just my opinion though.

There are some were trying to keep it going, but it ended up being the same group of people offering up the cards. After a while not seeing any new members participating it killed the upper echelon.

I do agree that the pay it forward thread was pretty much doomed from post 1. We tried to rebound from it but it just kept going down in value, then boosted back up a few times with way nicer cards posted than received but then right back down. Most people were taking nice cards and replacing them with cards they didn't want.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
No

---

There were some very nice cards given away & received in the upper echelon but it was pretty much the same few members posting all the nice cards. Just couldn't get enough people to get involved with good intentions.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Not to mention the last cards given away in the pay it forward thread were 2 cards from me, a battle of the bay combo Will Clark & Dennis Eckersley autos that I posted without claiming anything just to try to get it restarted and nothing was ever posted in return so those 2 cards were never paid forward from what I remember.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Not to mention the last cards given away in the pay it forward thread were 2 cards from me, a battle of the bay combo Will Clark & Dennis Eckersley autos that I posted without claiming anything just to try to get it restarted and nothing was ever posted in return so those 2 cards were never paid forward from what I remember.

That's too bad.Tell me who you collect other than Weekes and maybe I can find something to send you to get rid of the sour taste.Pretty sure the thread survived for several pages, so I thought it was a success for the most part.Could have sworn someone gave up an Aaron autograph, so some nicer cards were exchanged.While I didn't have anything that nice, I thought I did my part to keep it alive.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
That's too bad.Tell me who you collect other than Weekes and maybe I can find something to send you to get rid of the sour taste.Pretty sure the thread survived for several pages, so I thought it was a success for the most part.Could have sworn someone gave up an Aaron autograph, so some nicer cards were exchanged.While I didn't have anything that nice, I thought I did my part to keep it alive.

That's not necessary, I put those cards up without wanting anything in return other than to get the thread going again.

Thanks for the offer though

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Could have sworn someone gave up an Aaron autograph, so some nicer cards were exchanged.

There was.

It was the genesis of the idea.

I had [MENTION=2209]200lbhockeyplayer[/MENTION] (Mike) turn this...
5161440351_551ae25cfa.jpg

into this...

8200508355_93da66dba4.jpg

I'm not upset about giving an Aaron away at all. I made it clear early on that I was not looking to ever pick up a card in the thread. I'm upset that I wasted Mike's time and his generosity on making the card for the betterment of the board and seeing the thread basically fail from the start. I truly think it's one of the things that eroded away at Mike and has caused him to drift away and ultimately not post here anymore.

Irony.

I was trying to stir up generosity and motivate great members to move cards to collections that they would be treasured in and it contributed to driving some people away. Some really good people.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
There was.

It was the genesis of the idea.

I had @200lbhockeyplayer (Mike) turn this...
5161440351_551ae25cfa.jpg

into this...

8200508355_93da66dba4.jpg

I'm not upset about giving an Aaron away at all. I made it clear early on that I was not looking to ever pick up a card in the thread. I'm upset that I wasted Mike's time and his generosity on making the card for the betterment of the board and seeing the thread basically fail from the start. I truly think it's one of the things that eroded away at Mike and has caused him to drift away and ultimately not post here anymore.

Irony.

I was trying to stir up generosity and motivate great members to move cards to collections that they would be treasured in and it contributed to driving some people away. Some really good people.

That's a shame.That cut card looks a lot better than many of the cuts I've seen from Topps, Leaf, UD.Didn't run into 200lbhockeyplayer much here, but I read many of his posts and he made some nice contributions to the board.Posted a lot of good material.

I take it you don't consider Bonds the home run king?

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
That's a nice aaron. I too posted in both the free to good home lower end and upper echelon thread. Think I was plus 2 in giveaways/takes. Doesn't matter as I felt good about doing it. The idea of such a thread is great, but the overall idea is lost on some people when they knowingly post something not even close to same sale value or something they're trying to get rid of. People do take advantage of it unfortunately

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Wasn't one of the problems people trying to claim cards for friends, and they, in turn take days posting next card available?

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I always wanted to contribute to the Free to Good Home thread, but i have nothing that would benefit the usual visitors except my buds in the Bagwell thread. I have helped them a few times though, so at least i feel like i've contributed...

i do appreciate the Will Clark cards i got for my best friend though. And he appreciated them too.

Members online

Latest posts