Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How, exactly, does one "swipe 1st"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I opened a couple of blasters of 2016 Archives today, and I love these 1953 cards, largely due to the trivia on the back. Some great questions there, varying levels of difficulty.

This question on Posey's card caught my eye.

Scan_zpsbyrgacns.jpeg

Here's a close up.

Scan%201_zps3gzkus7u.jpeg

I read this a few times because I just didn't understand.

Obviously, this was an error on the editor's part. Obviously, they meant "2nd, 3rd, and home" (I looked it up just to be sure).

Obviously, I have too much time on my hands at the moment to scan and post this. Just thought it interesting.

Read the backs of your cards, kids!

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I opened a couple of blasters of 2016 Archives today, and I love these 1953 cards, largely due to the trivia on the back. Some great questions there, varying levels of difficulty.

This question on Posey's card caught my eye.

Scan_zpsbyrgacns.jpeg

Here's a close up.

Scan%201_zps3gzkus7u.jpeg

I read this a few times because I just didn't understand.

Obviously, this was an error on the editor's part. Obviously, they meant "2nd, 3rd, and home" (I looked it up just to be sure).

Obviously, I have too much time on my hands at the moment to scan and post this. Just thought it interesting.

Read the backs of your cards, kids!

Drop third strike, steal second, steal third. Drop third strike, making it safely the first is considered stealing first base.

Fordman

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I don't understand that video. Braun had clearly established himself at 2nd base when Segura slid back into it. Does not the trailing runner have the right to the bag? Why was Braun called out? And I also thought you couldn't go backwards like Segura did. All this time, I thought I understood baseball.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Drop third strike, steal second, steal third. Drop third strike, making it safely the first is considered stealing first base.

Fordman
I do not believe this is recorded as a SB, however.

And re the trivia question, Dee Gordon did not do that on 7-1-11.

MatthewN

Sep 30, 2015
Coralville, IA
Dropped third strike is still scored as a strikeout, no stolen base. A catcher can be charged with an error, but does not have to be, it can also be ruled a WP or a PB if the batter reaches safely.

I believe the lead runner has the right to the base, except in force situations, in which case the trailing runner has the right to the base.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Dropped third strike is still scored as a strikeout, no stolen base. A catcher can be charged with an error, but does not have to be, it can also be ruled a WP or a PB if the batter reaches safely.

totally concur. I've seen it official scored as a WP and PB before, still waiting to find one where an error has allowed a runner to reach first but adding error to the list makes sense to me.

As for the Dee Gordon thing of that 7/1/11 5-0 dodgers win @LAA, I looked up the official scoring and Gordon reached on a fielders choice, stole second, stole third and then stole home so there was no swipe of 1st. I wonder if that got by Sooz's goaltending. ;)

EDIT: Or I wonder if that was a known error in the 1953 set that topps is mimicking in 2016. When I first saw those archives cards and having never seen the reverse of a 1953 card before, I was impressed how in 1953 technology they could put the athlete's auto over text. After thinking about how it could be done without photoshopping, I reasoned Topps probably had the athlete sign a clear piece of film and then pasted it over the text when they were doing their mockups.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts