Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

W...T....F?? Will Clark Card "books" $4, sells for FOUR HUNDRED bucks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I think Beckett is off on their pricing. These cards have a tendency to sell very well and Clark collectors are nuts.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I LOVE finding Will Clark cards when the seller goes by books. 2 of my single card biggest flips have been Clark

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It was a best offer, so it may have gone much lower than $400.
But even $100 is nuts. Crazy player collectors.
The description says the last one sold for $499 BIN. :eek:

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The only PC card I've ever sold was a Will Clark. As much as he's one of my favorite players, and I have a big Clark collection, the stupid money I got took the sting away.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I would say that is a nice surprise day for a seller, but see that the seller obviously knew what they had and priced it accordingly.

Reminds me of the best sale I ever had, where two bidders went wild over a 1993 Cardtoons Ernie Banks (Mr. Club) and bid it up to $25! Sold another to the underbidder. $50 for the pair!!!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I know he has an awesome loyal fan base, but what would a Griffey, or Cal, or Jeter sell for? $1,000?

Anyway to magically turn my showcase parallel into a reserve collection?

I've got several big time Jeter collectors in my store, I'm positive none would know this card's value. I'll have to tell them to bolo.

Last edited:

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
To be honest this sale doesn't suprise me at all. Will Clark has a large following of collectors that always seem to pay high prices for rare or hard to find cards. Nolan himself is a big time Will Clark collector and is has extensive knowledge about Clark's card prices as well as many other tough promo cards.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have to admit I'm ignorant of this set. Is that particular subset hard to find? No other Reserve Collections have sold on ebay recently, so it's hard to gauge the set's popularity or scarcity, although there is very little of it on ebay. There is Frank Thomas Goin' Yard card for $90 BIN/BO. I'd think with all the Thomas collectors it would be gone instantly if it was worth that price.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC

Yeah, there is a lot going on here. The most important is that there is at least one Will Clark collector out there with super-deep pockets who doesn't seem to care what he's paying for cards he needs.

I remember when the seller got that on COMC and told me about it. He didn't pay quite that much for it :cool:

Now, about 1997 Score Reserve Collection... I am working on the set, so anyone that has singles, I may be interested. They are rare because they come from an otherwise poor product that had a terrible checklist, didn't sell, was overpriced, and nobody opened. Tons of unopened boxes are out there somewhere. You can find them regularly on ebay, but they are way overpriced. There was probably such a glut that some have been destroyed - wouldn't be surprised at all. Try to get them for $10-$15 a box delivered. Reserve Collection are approx. two per box. Most stars surface from time to time, but some commons are nearly impossible to track down.

In general, Reserve Collections are rare and deserving of a premium price. But since they are not recognized or understood by collectors (or even identified!), they will never be worth what they should except in extreme PC situations like Will Clark and Ryne Sandberg.

Football Reserve Collection singles are even more difficult to come by because the checklist is bigger and it flopped just as hard if not harder than baseball. Jaderock has almost every Mark Brunell known to man, but (last I heard) has neither of Brunell's Reserve Collection cards despite shredding many boxes himself. At one point I think he had a bounty on them.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yeah, there is a lot going on here. The most important is that there is at least one Will Clark collector out there with super-deep pockets who doesn't seem to care what he's paying for cards he needs.

I remember when the seller got that on COMC and told me about it. He didn't pay quite that much for it :cool:

Now, about 1997 Score Reserve Collection... I am working on the set, so anyone that has singles, I may be interested. They are rare because they come from an otherwise poor product that had a terrible checklist, didn't sell, was overpriced, and nobody opened. Tons of unopened boxes are out there somewhere. You can find them regularly on ebay, but they are way overpriced. There was probably such a glut that some have been destroyed - wouldn't be surprised at all. Try to get them for $10-$15 a box delivered. Reserve Collection are approx. two per box. Most stars surface from time to time, but some commons are nearly impossible to track down.

In general, Reserve Collections are rare and deserving of a premium price. But since they are not recognized or understood by collectors (or even identified!), they will never be worth what they should except in extreme PC situations like Will Clark and Ryne Sandberg.

Football Reserve Collection singles are even more difficult to come by because the checklist is bigger and it flopped just as hard if not harder than baseball. Jaderock has almost every Mark Brunell known to man, but (last I heard) has neither of Brunell's Reserve Collection cards despite shredding many boxes himself. At one point I think he had a bounty on them.
How close are you with the set now? I sold you a large lot of them which should of helped. Do you have the Clark? I was THRILLED to get the Belle's knocked off my list... pain in my a$$

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009

Yeah, this was an extra I picked up, but I too, had a bounty on the Will Clark before I found my first one. For something with pretty good odds of pulling, it's pretty obvious to see the product was a major flop for Score and somebody probably has hundreds of cases just collecting dust, possibly sent back to Score and destroyed. Who knows. That was the 2nd Clark to sell in the past few years. First one brought $500 and I was happy with $400 :)

I've been messaged over and over for years on these particular cards. I tried to put together a set myself shortly before you started and just didn't want to compete. I had the most fun when collector's had no clue about this issue and I could pick them up cheap. Year after year, collector's are becoming more aware of them as their need lists get filled and this one still doesn't surface. Price guide, which used to list them incorrectly anyway, can be ignored. How can you trust their value judgement when they don't even get the listing right? But with that said, you can still pick up deals every once in awhile. I still search for these every 3 or 4 days to see what's coming up for listing, but haven't won many recently.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
The only one I have is this one.

Attachments

• 1400624767162.jpg
    1400624767162.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 37

Members online