Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas NNOF: the first year in Beckett

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So I dusted off the old stack and found most of the issues from 1993.

Feb $5
Mar $6
Apr. $8
May $8
June $15
July $25
Oct. $25
Nov. $25
Dec. $35

Back then, New cards did not go up $30 in one year very often.

Now, I really just skimmed through the above issues but I didn't notice anything article about the card.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I had no idea that the card debuted at just five bucks, thought it was more than that.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for your efforts and posting this Mike.

I'd like to share an evolving article I've written for my website about the card.

http://www.bighurthof.com/#!1990-topps-variations/c1gda

Hey guys,

I'd like to add to this by sharing a link to a related article I wrote about the statistical breakdown of the card. Both articles (Ross's and mine) link back to each other.

http://www.radicards.com/statistics/frank-thomas-1990-topps-414a-nnof-statistical-breakdown

Also, I'm looking at the October '95 Beckett - the one with Mantle on the cover - book price for the NNOF - $1600!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
[MENTION=8332]BiggioBrooks755[/MENTION]

I was lucky to find a collector whom had opened a lot of Topps in 1990; he went digging through his old boxes and found several blackless cards and worked out a very fair deal so that I could add them to my collection.

Sadly, I haven't put together the full run yet, but I have a few of the nicer errors. I knew when I posted that I believed other errors existed that it would create competition and likely mean I would never fulfill my quest, but I'm further along than I would have been otherwise.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I wonder if you land a Thomas nnof, will all the other cards be blackless in the same box.

@BiggioBrooks755

I was lucky to find a collector whom had opened a lot of Topps in 1990; he went digging through his old boxes and found several blackless cards and worked out a very fair deal so that I could add them to my collection.

Sadly, I haven't put together the full run yet, but I have a few of the nicer errors. I knew when I posted that I believed other errors existed that it would create competition and likely mean I would never fulfill my quest, but I'm further along than I would have been otherwise.

How many Biggio did he find?

Jan 14, 2009
Didn't a copy of the Biggio Blackless go unsold at $49.99 a few years back? I recall someone listing a batch of them: Biggio, Franco and Fisk, perhaps? And only Franco sold. I could be wrong but I distinctly remember being surprised (it was after the CU thread) by a few not getting opening bids and thinking it was yet another example of apathetic bidding with little-known/uncatalogued variations.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I can't pinpoint the exact year and I was not actively collecting in 1990, but I don't think I had even heard of the card until around 1994. I remember holding one in my hand at a shop. It had gotten really hot and the guy who had it wanted $250 for it. I think that might have been high book at the time. That copy was not mint, maybe EX with definite corner issues. I collected Thomas at that time and really wanted it, but $250 was crazy to me, especially in the condition it was in. I passed. I'd still like to have one, but more for the history behind it than anything. The prices are all too high now in my mind, but then again, I don't value it the same way those who are buying them do.

I had no idea that the card debuted at just five bucks, thought it was more than that.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Those are the ones I own; we ended up working out a cash/trade deal for all three of those cards. I don't think the Biggio was quite that low, I was thinking more like $150, but it's possible. They all graded out at PSA 7 and 8.

Didn't a copy of the Biggio Blackless go unsold at $49.99 a few years back? I recall someone listing a batch of them: Biggio, Franco and Fisk, perhaps? And only Franco sold. I could be wrong but I distinctly remember being surprised (it was after the CU thread) by a few not getting opening bids and thinking it was yet another example of apathetic bidding with little-known/uncatalogued variations.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hey guys,

I'd like to add to this by sharing a link to a related article I wrote about the statistical breakdown of the card. Both articles (Ross's and mine) link back to each other.

http://www.radicards.com/statistics/frank-thomas-1990-topps-414a-nnof-statistical-breakdown

Also, I'm looking at the October '95 Beckett - the one with Mantle on the cover - book price for the NNOF - $1600!

In reading your article I couldn't help but recalk the classic Chevy Chase SNL line:
img.png

Thankfully Olerud was only in Topps Traded that year so I don't have to worry about a blackless.

Members online

No members online now.