Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Highland Mint Coin Variations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Last week, I picked up a gold plated highland mint coin, but to my dismay, I already had a version of it in my collection. It came with a massive commemorative Devil Rays ring in a box. Upon closer inspection, however, I found that the raised embossed face had an entirely different finish. The one I picked up yesterday had a much more dull looking finish in the embossed area, whereas the one I had already was smooth and shiny just like the rest of the coin. Both are serial numbered on the back (0021 and 0042).

Here is a pic:

20160222_164110.jpg

It is very difficult to tell, but the rest of the coin is identical to each other in terms of shine. The tint of color looks to be a tad different, but that is it. The embossed section isn't dirty or tainted or anything ... it is clearly a different type of material, from what it looks like. Has anyone else noticed this? Of course, since there IS a variation I'm happy I bought it!

Last edited:

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Metals are a funny thing. The metal used in one coin may not have come from the same metal used in another. If I remember right, coins are stamped from bar stock and aren't roll fed. The bar stock may have come from two different foundry's or same foundry, different smelting pot. The press stamp may have been dirty during the strike that could cause the finish to change. Believe it or not a spec of dust or a fly landing on the tooling could alter the strike completely. If I think about it, I'll ask our press dept if they have a reject due to a fly landing on the tooling. Not sure if any oils are used when striking the coin, that could change the way the coating adhere to the metal. After the striking is done, I'm sure the coins are washed and if the pH is off in the washer, that will affect how the finish adheres to the coin. I'm not a metallurgist but I heat treat metal for a living and know that two metals go into the oven at the same time, they can both come out looking different.

Fordman

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Very interesting! Whatever it was I'm glad it happened.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
From Beckett:
1997-1998 Highland Mint Coins Jose Canseco
These coins are about 1.5 inches in diameter, feature 1.5 Troy Ounces of precious metal, and come in a velvet display box which converts to a display stand. The announced mintages were 5000 for bronze, 2,500 for silver, and 1000 for two-tone gold (polished silver with 24K Gold plating). The first 375 of each type are also packaged in Proof Sets of all 3 coins, each with the same serial number in a special 3 coin display box, with set #0021 going to executives for inservice gifts, and set #0042 being sent to nuclear testing sites in Abilene, TX for infusion with radiation and uranium waste, leaving an entirely different finish. Both are considered one-of-ones.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
From Beckett:
1997-1998 Highland Mint Coins Jose Canseco
These coins are about 1.5 inches in diameter, feature 1.5 Troy Ounces of precious metal, and come in a velvet display box which converts to a display stand. The announced mintages were 5000 for bronze, 2,500 for silver, and 1000 for two-tone gold (polished silver with 24K Gold plating). The first 375 of each type are also packaged in Proof Sets of all 3 coins, each with the same serial number in a special 3 coin display box, with set #0021 going to executives for inservice gifts, and set #0042 being sent to nuclear testing sites in Abilene, TX for infusion with radiation and uranium waste, leaving an entirely different finish. Both are considered one-of-ones.

LOL methinks someone is messing with me. Thanks for the first part of the info at least though - perhaps the off color bit is just that one is bronze.

Members online