Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hobby terms which irk you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
We haven't done this in a while....

Ball cards (Don West infamy)

Paste board (impossible to find one PSA SMR which doesn't mention this term)

Pack fresh (means nothing)

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Mine is BOOK VALUE

For some reason everyone in this hobby believes that Beckett prints BOOK VALUES for cards. They in fact do not--what they "TRY" and do is give a collector a buying range.

Pack fresh I agree with you on--a lot of cards come out "pack fresh" with dings, creases, pack crimping

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
"Sick"! It was a great 2014 National Treasures chest patch piece, but by no means "sick" as used in the auction description.

"If you don't like paying $x.xx for shipping, please don't bid on my card" - If the card was a common base auto card, I would go elsewhere. The patch is fairly unique to that athlete so it's not like I can go elsewhere to bid for that good of patch card.

sometimes "Mojo" gets overused (when viewing Youtube box breaks and the big card of that video is nice but not jaw-dropping.

"case breaker" - every time I see or hear that, I think ILLEGAL! Why do box breakers have to go through all those hoops if their activity wasn't actually illegal or they were using those hoops to hide income from the taxing authorities (not paying gross receipts or sales taxes, income taxes, self-employment taxes, etc).

edit: "1/1" -- rarely is there ever a card worthy to be called a true 1/1 in the hobby since most are mis-described as 1/1 or the manufacturer makes some small change to create a parallel and names it 1/1 so you can have 10 or 20 or 50 1/1's.

Last edited:

bblair_2002

Aug 12, 2009
Fort Plain,NY
I can't stand these words or phrases that I either don't like or have been blown out of proportion:

Sick - Main one.............hate it and a dealbreaker if this word is used in a possible deal.
Quicksale - Usually meant for cards no one wants.
Something for everyone - Have yet to see a thread with these words in the title that contain a card I wanted.
High End - I know what high end cards are,but colorful autographed cards of kids who are barely out of high school don't qualify to me.

Another thing that irks me,and it's more grammar related,is when someone uses an apostrophe to pluralize a player's name (ie. I have these Jeter's to trade.)

I'm not a grammar **** but you learned how to use an apostrophe in 3rd grade and doing this makes you look stupid.

I'm done :D

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I can't stand these words or phrases that I either don't like or have been blown out of proportion:

Sick - Main one.............hate it and a dealbreaker if this word is used in a possible deal.
Quicksale - Usually meant for cards no one wants.
Something for everyone - Have yet to see a thread with these words in the title that contain a card I wanted.
High End - I know what high end cards are,but colorful autographed cards of kids who are barely out of high school don't qualify to me.

Another thing that irks me,and it's more grammar related,is when someone uses an apostrophe to pluralize a player's name (ie. I have these Jeter's to trade.)

I'm not a grammar **** but you learned how to use an apostrophe in 3rd grade and doing this makes you look stupid.

I'm done :D

I was going to say quicksale as well. Drives me nuts. Seems like people put it in their titles and then the cards are priced above value so unsuspecting buyers think they are getting a good deal.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Mojo which has seem to die down as of late. But mine is a "must have for player x collectors" Most likely I already have his card if I collect player x

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Bowman "paper"

As in "lot of bowman paper Kris Bryant for sale"

Bowman is bowman, bowman chrome is chrome. Pretty easy.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Bowman "paper"

As in "lot of bowman paper Kris Bryant for sale"

Bowman is bowman, bowman chrome is chrome. Pretty easy.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

This!
You don't see the term topps paper used. The ideas of prospectors confound me. It's either topps or topps chrome:TC (Nothing wrong with them, just a different mindset)

Members online

Latest posts