Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Logomans, Bat Barrels and Bat Knobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Logomans, bat barrels and bat knobs. For a number of years, these have represented the ultra-premium options in the game-used market, especially for modern players. A Game-Used jersey has just 1 logoman (I believe...) and bats have just a single barrel and single knob.

A few years back it seemed like the logoman was the most popular, and knobs were a distant 3rd. More recently it seems like logomans have fallen out of favor a bit, while knobs have increased in popularity. Right now I think overall the market has bat barrels as the favorite, then knobs and finally logoman.

Which one do you prefer?

For a nice comparison, recently a seller had both a Logoman and a bat barrel for Jeff Kent (I picked up the Logoman)

Sold for $210
$_12.JPG

Sold for $86
$_12.JPG

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Barrels are usually the most distinctive, often including the engraved name or signature. For me, this is just about the ultimate modern card:
barrel.jpg

Knobs might have markings with the size/weight, maybe the player's number magic markered on it. Sadly, I have none of these (Sizemore doesn't have one, AFAIK). The logomen are generic, although it's kind of cool when the colors are team-coded, so the Marlins have teal or whatever.

It also depends on the design of the card. 2013 Topps Tier One knobs are just beautiful, but others, not so much. The Kent Logoman shown is just the regular card design with oh-by-the-way here's a logoman patch. Compared to 2008 Premier, it's just not exciting.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Barrels are usually the most distinctive, often including the engraved name or signature. For me, this is just about the ultimate modern card:
View attachment 45565

Knobs might have markings with the size/weight, maybe the player's number magic markered on it. Sadly, I have none of these (Sizemore doesn't have one, AFAIK). The logomen are generic, although it's kind of cool when the colors are team-coded, so the Marlins have teal or whatever.

It also depends on the design of the card. 2013 Topps Tier One knobs are just beautiful, but others, not so much. The Kent Logoman shown is just the regular card design with oh-by-the-way here's a logoman patch. Compared to 2008 Premier, it's just not exciting.

Definitely a great point on the distinctiveness of the bat barrel. They are extremely cool. And the knobs do sometimes have markers.

Also your point on the Kent above is definitely valid.

It's interesting comparing logomans which are from jerseys, to bat knobs. The logomans are definitely going to be rarer (since a player can use many bats in a single game) but there is something about the bat and its role in the game that gives it some added allure IMO.

I've been picking up logomans when I see them at prices I consider reasonable.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Oh sure, they're all worthwhile cards. If prices on these top-end GU cards for good players like Kent are under $100, they're great pickups.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I like them all. Only have a handful of logos and no barrels or knobs. With anything, it depends on the look of the card. I've seen barrels look like crap. The ones recently in National Treasures are gorgeous.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I'm pretty torn on logoman vs. bat barrel, but knobs are a distant 3rd for me. Maybe it's because I don't own one of the cool ones with the player numbers, weight, etc., but there's just much more character in a barrel or logoman, I think. I'd probably lean towards logomans as my favorite, especially the old D-backs ones with the teal patches.

Plus you have to take into account the giant Laundry Tags now, I think those have really increased in popularity in the last couple years with those Museum Collection ones.

robertwolf1

Aug 8, 2008
I do not own any of the subject type cards because of cost. With the means, I would put barrels would be at the top. Never have been drawn to the logoman. I actually prefer laundry tag or sick patch based on eye appeal alone.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I think the barrel is also more interesting because unlike jersey cards, where the top end would be the logoman then you have dozens of great patches from that same jersey and below that the ol' plain white swatch, with a bat you have one barrel piece, one knob, and a ton of boring slices from inside the bat. You hardly ever see "surface of the bat" pieces other than the barrel nameplate or knob, so that makes them much more special.

A small part of it might also be conspiracy theorists who believe that a bunch of jersey cards are phony jerseys, but a bat nameplate with that player's name MUST be real.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I think the use of the "logoman" from hats and especially jersey tags has hurt the market for those cards a bit. Granted, the true jersey logo is superior, particularly to the tag version, but I think it's had a negative effect.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I think Jeff hit it on the head, It really depends on the look of the card. I think for older players before Logomans the barrel is number 1 followed by knob then tag or button. For Players that are hofers and do have cards that have logmans and Barrels (Like Maddux, Thomas, Ripken, ect) its a toss up as these player will have less logmans and more barrels. In particular pitchers like Greg Maddux, I would rather have their Logmans than bat barrels only because they dint bat very much. For current players I think Bat Barrels would be more popular, followed by Knob, logoman, tag then button.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Interesting discussion. Albert Belle just recently showed up in these particular categories... but doesn't have the logoman option but does have the knobs out there and nameplates.

NEW_zpscc9c9fcb.jpg

2014%20Topps%20Tier%201%20Knob%20FRONT_zpsk8rdfxud.jpg

For me, the nameplate seems to be a little more premium than the knob but we're really splitting hairs. If there was a logomen, not sure again... I guess that would be up there but I tend to like the bat pieces like these. They show more wear/tear, etc.

Anyways, cool conversation.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Great comparison.. I have a unique patch that is rare.. It represents a moment in time that we will never forget..
They only made 15 total and I have only ever seen these two.. (which is why I have them)

flag2.jpg

shawn-green-flag.jpg

I have this one..

mlb.jpg

Somewhere I have a Bat Barrel as well..

Good topic..

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Logomen (logomans?) are more susceptible to hobby-wide suspicion of inauthentic items, so they are decreasing roughly proportional to the decrease in jumbo / prime patches.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Logomen (logomans?) are more susceptible to hobby-wide suspicion of inauthentic items, so they are decreasing roughly proportional to the decrease in jumbo / prime patches.

Why would they be more susceptible? These cards are always labelled for what they are, and if the concern is that the companies are not being careful that items are actually game-used, the bats can be player model without being game used...

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Great comparison.. I have a unique patch that is rare.. It represents a moment in time that we will never forget..
They only made 15 total and I have only ever seen these two.. (which is why I have them)

flag2.jpg

shawn-green-flag.jpg
I ways wanted one of those but never saw a chance to get one...

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Why would they be more susceptible? These cards are always labelled for what they are, and if the concern is that the companies are not being careful that items are actually game-used, the bats can be player model without being game used...

Very true and no offense to bobcat but people have to quite wearing tin foil hats. Not all game used card are susceptible. Has there been skeptical items bought and put into cards? Yes but the majority are actual game used items. Trust me I do not like the new wording on the back of the cards and all the discussion of fake this and fake that but as collectors we have to collect something. What should I collect autos? Those have to be real right, lol. How about Vintage, nobody fakes vintage, lol, or modern cards like superfractors, those cant be faked because of the technology, lol. In any part of the hobby whether its autographs, vintage, superfractors or what ever its good to do your research and that's all you can do in this hobby. If you come across a game used card and you heard a report that Panini, upperdeck or topps bought non game used jersey and you trust that report don't buy it. Infact if you don't trust game used at all don't buy it.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Very true and no offense to bobcat but people have to quite wearing tin foil hats. Not all game used card are susceptible. Has there been skeptical items bought and put into cards? Yes but the majority are actual game used items. Trust me I do not like the new wording on the back of the cards and all the discussion of fake this and fake that but as collectors we have to collect something. What should I collect autos? Those have to be real right, lol. How about Vintage, nobody fakes vintage, lol, or modern cards like superfractors, those cant be faked because of the technology, lol. In any part of the hobby whether its autographs, vintage, superfractors or what ever its good to do your research and that's all you can do in this hobby. If you come across a game used card and you heard a report that Panini, upperdeck or topps bought non game used jersey and you trust that report don't buy it. Infact if you don't trust game used at all don't buy it.
I've always said perception is reality in this hobby unfortunately and that is just life. You can disagree all you want but if I sat around thinking about whether the stamp size piece of wood in the tons of cards of Albert Belle that I have was actually in a bat that was actually held and used by Albert Belle in an official MLB game, I would get no sleep and probably just pack it up and leave the hobby. I mean who the hell knows for sure? How many white cloth "relic" cards do I have of Albert Belle? A lot. Do I think they are all from a jersey that was on Albert Belle's back during an official game? At this point might as well. lol.

Anyways, totally agree with the post I quoted above. Everything can be questioned IMHO in this hobby and it is up to the collector to either deal with it and come to a peace of mind about it or to keep moving. For me, it is what it is.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I dont own any logomen cards. Sadly they just dont appeal to me. I have many of the high end barrels. I also like the bat knobs as well. I always liked the early sp leg sigs sweet spot and premier barrells

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I love the Premiere Logoman set. Probably the best done of all time.

Attachments

• David Ortiz Premiere Logoman.jpeg
    David Ortiz Premiere Logoman.jpeg
    580.6 KB · Views: 24

Members online