Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PWCC on Ebay, schiller or ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
The thing with consignment sellers is that the card's owner can be one of the bidders, therefore a shiller.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I think the reason he gets premiums on a lot of cards is because of this " Interest-free short term payment plans are available for large purchases. Contact PWCC for details "

He literally gives people a month and a half to pay, with that regard im gonna assume some folks will take that even if it means paying top dollar on something plus hes becoming a well known seller (If not already) which just continues to bring in new bidders. I know for myself, before this year I did not pick up many Vinatge Rcs but now have changed focus a bit and am starting to pick up Vintage Rc and im always bidding on PWCC auctions. So im somewhat of a new customer to him meaning im sure there are more people like myself whom just now discovered PWCC even though hes been around a while.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
Does he have a further reaching audience on Ebay than any other seller with the same items?
Just seems odd...

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
He has built a following over the years. When you have the big ticket cards and the volume like that, people know who you are and will look through all your stuff, regardless of target search. I find myself perusing PWCC auctions because I know he'll have some good items I may not have necessarily been searching for at the time, but may find interest in.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
the owners of the cards are shilling the crap out of their auctions. There is really no doubt about this.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
There are a number of big sellers of sport cards that eBay gives preferential treatment to. PWCC is one of them. (I'll sometimes see their items as one of the featured items when I open eBay.) They have a reputation and often offer really tough to find cards. Some buyers look no where else.

That being said, it seems like in some cases the owner of the card is shilling the item.

I will mention that when I sold out a while back I used Probstein123 who is also a major consignor on eBay. No shilling was involved by anyone and I got pretty significant premiums on many of the rarer items (although a few sold pretty short of expectations) so there does seem to be more eyes on auctions of guys like PWCC and Probstein123.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I just view the bidding pattern as odd, it jumping from 2500 to 5000, then to 7000. Just has a certain suspicion when you see it go in such flat increments.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have bought from PWCC several times..

I use Gixen and put in what I am willing to pay.. If it goes over so be it..

Bid what you are willing to pay and move on.. With some of the PSA graded cards there are registry set collectors that pay top dollar for cards..

I've seen regular cards of no-stars go for thousands of $$..

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I know there are numerous sellers who get premiums for their listings. There is a particular "set breaker" who sells signed cards and he seems to get people to pay many times above and beyond what other sellers get for their cards. Could shilling be involved? Certainly. Could he have a dedicated following of buyers who trust him and are willing to pay top dollar for that sense of security. Absolutely. I have won many items from him for what I feel is a fair price, but I have lost many more times what I have won. I've never checked to see if a bidding pattern is there in that case though. I guess I don't care, not that I condone that type of activity, but I pay what I am willing on snipes.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I am in agreement, I usually will set a snipe of what I'm able to afford/want to spend. But I have a tendency to see if someone is conspiring to drive up the price of said item, and forcing me to make a tougher decision than necessary.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I believe they want to discourage it, but what stops 5 friends of the guy consigning the item from running the price up to what the seller needs/wants out of the item? They don't pay and the auction runs again...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Man, I wonder what it would be like to have 5 friends that collect cards. I am an island in that regard, unless you count online friends. There is not one single person in my circle of friends that collects cards. I guess I would not make a good shill team.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
Man, I wonder what it would be like to have 5 friends that collect cards. I am an island in that regard, unless you count online friends. There is not one single person in my circle of friends that collects cards. I guess I would not make a good shill team.

Collecting cards has nothing to do with it... If you have an open Ebay account, you can shill...

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I have bought from PWCC several times..

I use Gixen and put in what I am willing to pay.. If it goes over so be it..

Bid what you are willing to pay and move on.. With some of the PSA graded cards there are registry set collectors that pay top dollar for cards..

I've seen regular cards of no-stars go for thousands of $$..

This logic is the exact reason they shill and actually the favorite excuse of shiller's. And in reality the phrase bid what you want to pay is meaningless.

If I am willing to pay $50 but the card was going to sell for $25 but was shilled to $45 I was ripped off for $20. Had they not shilled I get the card for $25. Regardless of I sniped or not.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
This logic is the exact reason they shill and actually the favorite excuse of shiller's. And in reality the phrase bid what you want to pay is meaningless.

If I am willing to pay $50 but the card was going to sell for $25 but was shilled to $45 I was ripped off for $20. Had they not shilled I get the card for $25. Regardless of I sniped or not.

That's basically how I think of it. I may have the snipe set to a max, but if someone who has no intent of buying the card is there just driving the price up, it pisses me off.

Members online