Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I was watching the 98 Jeter Pinnacle Gold/30 and it only went for $320. Another one that ended a day later sold for $610. It seems to me the prices aren't as high on ST auctions as they would from individuals.

Wow that's crazy people must have missed that because that should have def been higher. Griffey i know would bring some serious loot.

Jeter market must not be as strong as I thought. He has 2 97 platinum golds on eBay that I thought where in line with what they should be and they have been up for weeks.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Damn that's it! I feel bad for people that invested in him at his peak and didn't sell!

Yeah the guy cost me some cash with his stellar performances on the field, and then because of his less than stellar actions off the field and his choice of words, I surely wouldn't come out ahead if I sold my collection right now but I sure have had a great time putting it together. I still get excited finding a card of his I need from the 90's. I am one of those guys who collects and doesn't necessarily invest. I tried that a long, long time ago and lost every time. My wife questions me why I still buy the Alex cards I need to complete the quest I started way back in 1996. With all that being said, I did buy multiples of high end cards 15+ years ago and sold the duplicates and some super, super rare ones with prices that probably would have caused a divorce if I didn't sell.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Jeez, the Ripken only brought $818. Is there THAT big of a difference between Griffey prices and Ripken prices? I thought they were fairly close.

I actually picked up that Red Ripken (and the Purple) on the same day, coincidentally. My snipe was a lot higher than $818, I really thought I got a steal at that price. I actually can't believe Griffey is quoted at 5-10x that amount, makes me want to buy another Ripken!

ripkencrusade_zpsb4f2072d.jpg

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I actually picked up that Red Ripken (and the Purple) on the same day, coincidentally. My snipe was a lot higher than $818, I really thought I got a steal at that price. I actually can't believe Griffey is quoted at 5-10x that amount, makes me want to buy another Ripken!

QUOTE]

You definitely did! I'm not even a Ripken collector/fan, and I'd pay a lot more than the $818. Well done, sir!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I know we have talked about this before but how the hell do we tell the difference online or eBay between the 1998 Stadium Club Triumvirate Luminescent and Illuminator?!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I know we have talked about this before but how the hell do we tell the difference online or eBay between the 1998 Stadium Club Triumvirate Luminescent and Illuminator?!

It's tough to tell from a single picture, but...

The cheapest ones, the luminous, are like a base chrome card.
The second tier, the luminescent, are like chrome refractors.
The toughest, most expensive, the illuminators, are transparent (see-through) with a refractor-ish gleam on parts of the card.

If you see rainbow/refractor, it's (at the very least) a luminescent.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's tough to tell from a single picture, but...

The cheapest ones, the luminous, are like a base chrome card.
The second tier, the luminescent, are like chrome refractors.
The toughest, most expensive, the illuminators, are transparent (see-through) with a refractor-ish gleam on parts of the card.

If you see rainbow/refractor, it's (at the very least) a luminescent.
Yea, the third one, illuminator, I'm having trouble figuring out a way to ask the seller(s) what to do in order to tell me which it is... most times the person has no idea what they have....

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I'd ask him: "When you hold it up to a light, is the whole card transparent." Or maybe shoot me a link to the auction first. I've (successfully) identified and snagged 3 Griffey Illuminators that were listed wrong, based on a photo. Some might say I'm a pretty big deal. I don't want to brag, but I agree with them.

Haha.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Yea, the third one, illuminator, I'm having trouble figuring out a way to ask the seller(s) what to do in order to tell me which it is... most times the person has no idea what they have....

Two ways to ask:

Luminescent - refractor finish on front only
Illuminator - refractor finish on front and back

Luminescent - background is all leather
Illuminator - silhouette "cutout" of the player on the back

Luminescent - Illuminator
b-984.jpg
b-983.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
^^Looks like visually a player cutout on the back, that is a giveaway. The card I posted on eBay has the refractor finish on the front but doesn't look like it is the card. Thanks guys! What a pain in the a$$ to locate and lock down for my PC.

hairyharold

Mar 20, 2014
from my experience

luminescent, the card itself has a refractor finish, but the player doesn't.
illuminator, the player image has a refractor finish, the card does not

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011

ripkencrusade_zpsb4f2072d.jpg

If I can get the Jeter for that price I am jumping all over it.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Yeah, he actually has several good pictures of it to where if it was an illuminator, you'd be able to see through it to the item behind it.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
2 super sweet cards arrived today. '98 Select Numbers has such a 90s look, I love it. According to what I've read it would have been #/291 if released (291Ks in 97). Be interested to know if anyone can ballpark how many made it out the fire escape.

Also, this isnt the '97 Finest Die-cut/Embossed Gold Refractor (just the regular refractor here), but there is one on eBay with a grotesque asking price. Anyone know est. print run on that rarest version?

1424217959385.jpg
1424217969407.jpg

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
2 super sweet cards arrived today. '98 Select Numbers has such a 90s look, I love it. According to what I've read it would have been #/291 if released (291Ks in 97). Be interested to know if anyone can ballpark how many made it out the fire escape.

Also, this isnt the '97 Finest Die-cut/Embossed Gold Refractor (just the regular refractor here), but there is one on eBay with a grotesque asking price. Anyone know est. print run on that rarest version?

View attachment 46540
View attachment 46541

its estimated that there are 31 of the Gold Embossed Refractors

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
That's actually a really sweet 90's insert, I never followed 1998 select. Looks like something I'd definitely collect, congrats on the pickup and thanks for the pic!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

View attachment 46540
View attachment 46541

These are so freaking nice-looking. I have a few Griffeys from this set (5-Star, Jersey Numbers) but have never seen one of his like this. Anyone know if it exists?

Members online

Latest posts