Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starting my own card company - first offering inside!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
FCB APP USERS: Can't see pics? Go here: http://tanmanbaseballfan.blogspot.com/2014/09/starting-my-own-card-company-first.html

OKAY, so maybe I'm not starting my own card company ... but I am looking and making some patch cards for the public. I've been accepting art commissions for a while now, so this is the first time I've made something cool to sell as-is like this before.

As I watch baseball games these days, I can't help but see nothing but players wearing awesome patch cards all over themselves. As the camera zooms in, I think OOOHHH ... what an awesome letter set Samardzija would make ... not necessarily Ryu, though. Or ... OOOOH what an awesome commemorative patch they are sporting this year ... would look great embedded into a 2.5x3.5 card!

Needless to say, I have been really itching to buy some game used items and make cards out of them to sell some and keep some for myself. I broke down and bought a game used Rangers baseball cap of Ivan Rodriguez to cut my teeth on.

20140906_203907.jpg

It is a beauty and even has the written # under the bill!

20140906_203856.jpg

But then, something terrifying happened ....

20140906_203919.jpg

AHHHH!!!!

Up to this point, as you know, everything I have made that I show off for the most part is Canseco - and that stuff basically stays in my personal collection for my own enjoyment.

Here is the Pudge Cap Button 1/1 card:

20140906_151513.jpg

and standing up

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm limited of course in doing something like this because I don't have the ability to use pictures or logos, so I skipped the logos and team name, and did a digital sketch enhancement in lieu of a picture.

Last edited:

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Damn thats awesome and something I've never seen done before. You'll be able to make some nice cards with the remaining hat as well!

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
That's really cool

Keep it up it will only get more and more attention

Question
I see a "gold top border "
How'd you do that?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Cool card! Neat idea using the cap button.

Just curious though, what's different about making this one compared to your previous Canseco customs? You mentioned not being able to use Rodriguez's picture or the Rangers name/logo, but you usually use Canseco's picture and team logos.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
[MENTION=1928]Y4NK335[/MENTION] thanks! [MENTION=9653]NY Tony[/MENTION] - the middle and bottom are gold also - it is my custom card making secret ninja skills :) [MENTION=4705]olerud363[/MENTION] - the difference is i don't sell the Cansecos. everyone and their brother seems to be selling customs on ebay with real pics and logos, etc. i'm just not too comfy with that myself, personally.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Cool card! Neat idea using the cap button.

Just curious though, what's different about making this one compared to your previous Canseco customs? You mentioned not being able to use Rodriguez's picture or the Rangers name/logo, but you usually use Canseco's picture and team logos.

I believe that he's not using the logos and team names on this card because he made it to sell, but I could be wrong

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
If you are selling the card, technically you don't have the right to use Rodriguez' picture (even if "enhanced"). That being said, you're such small potatoes, I can't see anyone coming after you, logo or not.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
On behalf of the Major Leagues, and the Major League Players Association, I give you permission to use names, teams and pictures as you see fit. Thank you for believing In our product, and thank you for your part on spreading a positive image of our sport and players to others.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Looks good.What are you going to do with the signature?I have never seen a hat button on a card, nice creativity.What case do you use for it?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
[MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION] - thank you ... now I can really start going on this stuff! :) [MENTION=2602]SINFULONE[/MENTION] - thanks! i'm actually probably going to be doing a 4x6 or 5x7 custom type of card. Think box loader or cabinet card mixed with cut auto mixed with jumbo relic. I'm looking forward to doing something with it.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Great job , I like the size of the "cut" . You may be small potatoes, but your a whole sack of em

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Thanks guys! Here is a pic of the back

20140907_172756.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
On behalf of the Major Leagues, and the Major League Players Association, I give you permission to use names, teams and pictures as you see fit. Thank you for believing In our product, and thank you for your part on spreading a positive image of our sport and players to others.

Said no corporate lawyer ever.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Really nice looking card. Well done.

I lack both the time and skill to do something even close. Even if I had the time, mine would look like a 3 year old with crayons compared to how sharp that looks.

Members online

Latest posts