Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If there was a Baseball card Hall of Fame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don't think these sets in particular need a whole spot but sets like action packed, extra bases/game day etc...Need a display as a whole to show some of the out of the box ideas that didn't work as well as most of the sets being mentioned but share in the spirit of trying to advance the hobby/business. Not to spark a debate, but perhaps sportflix falls into this category as well?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
It's a really interesting idea. I would hope the first inductees would be as revered as the one in Cooperstown.

Small class (5-6) but the best of the best.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Could start compiling a list of all "nominees" and FCB members could vote (see MisterT's PC tournaments) to see what gets in for this "inaugural" year - 75% gets in, just like BWAA.

I would be totally in for that! Also, the idea of having a website dedicated to this would be really cool.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Who?

What a great concept...I think FCB should actually make a committee and make some nominations.

For individuals I would have to include Paul Sumner

I had to look him up, as the name was not instantly recognized like the rest were to me.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Ok, we need this too…

"it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of really good".

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Interesting to see that this has been carried out before. However, seeing some of the nominations thus far, FCB's could be more comprehensive by including more than just cards and people.

Created an excel sheet to track the nominations thus far and will continue to update - here's what we have thus far:

2017 FCB Baseball Card Hall of Fame
[MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] or [MENTION=6581]BBCgalaxee[/MENTION] - can give one or both of you access to edit accordingly going forth or to take over from here. Willing to continue to help as well, just let me know.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Couple more

1992 topps gold (first parallel)
Whatever the first baseball card was

DTA

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Add in the 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle, because the Baseball Card Hall of Fame deserves an ACTUAL Mantle Rookie Card.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've been interested in learning about the early days of the hobby. There's a whole mythology about Golden Age comic book guys, artists, writers, technical people (letterers, colorists, printers), and the publishers, but very little seems to be known about the card people. While the Topps people like Berger and Shorin are somewhat known, and they did do a whole lot themselves (or at least the take credit for doing so), there must have been others throughout the 50s-70s. But who designed the T-205 or T-206 sets? Who created Goudeys and Play Balls? Who created the Old Judge line, getting hundreds of ball players into studios for their staged photos?

Also, Justice Clarence Newcomer probably deserves a mention.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
Jefferson Burdick is considered the father of modern collecting. He worked with a few other guys but the first actual catalog of cards was his.

There were a bunch of photo studios that did the photos of the old players. I think it was the Carl Horner Studio that did the most famous one and the basis for the T-206 Wagner. There are some cabinet cards of the actual photo.

Scott F

Members online