Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Manager Joe Maddon Opts Out of His Contract w/Rays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
This is bad news for the Rays and baseball overall in Tampa/St. Pete---the only hope the Rays have of surviving long term in this area is for them to move to Tampa and I'm not sure the other Rays major "players" are convinced of that as much as Maddon was---he owns a house on Bayshore Blvd (prime housing street just feet from downtown Tampa and the forum) and is opening a new Italian restaurant Ava on SoHo (The main drag for restaurants and bars in Tampa) next month to tremendous fanfare and backing ---he has connections, respect and is liked within the Tampa community and would have been a great face of the stadium project-without Maddon at the helm and as the face of the franchise, a move across the bay looks less and less likely. Longoria could be great but how much longer before they trade him as well?! More than likely they will be the Las Vegas Rays in the not so distant future.

Thanks,
Jeff

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Twins will hire Phil Plantier as their new manager.

I'm with [MENTION=3164]jbhofmann[/MENTION] on this one, as I see him joining the Cubs.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
This is bad news for the Rays and baseball overall in Tampa/St. Pete---the only hope the Rays have of surviving long term in this area is for them to move to Tampa and I'm not sure the other Rays major "players" are convinced of that as much as Maddon was---he owns a house on Bayshore Blvd (prime housing street just feet from downtown Tampa and the forum) and is opening a new Italian restaurant Ava on SoHo (The main drag for restaurants and bars in Tampa) next month to tremendous fanfare and backing ---he has connections, respect and is liked within the Tampa community and would have been a great face of the stadium project-without Maddon at the helm and as the face of the franchise, a move across the bay looks less and less likely. Longoria could be great but how much longer before they trade him as well?! More than likely they will be the Las Vegas Rays in the not so distant future.

Thanks,
Jeff

The rays need to start spending more. Sure sometimes not spending anything works but being able to pay a couple bigger FA's or home grown players instead of trading them would ensure a much more competitive team.

Members online