Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A positive sight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
For all those that say the hobby shop is dead I beg to differ. In my way to Walmart this morning I drove past the LCS I frequent. There was a line forming a half hour before he opened. They were all waiting for his black Friday event. Nothing crazy or any real blowouts. Just good prices and black Friday packs from Panini,Historic Autographs and Leaf. His shop is always packed. He also has no gaming cards. It just goes to show if you are honest, competitive and do right by people a hobby shop can thrive.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I wish there was a hobby shop somewhere closeby. I think the closest one in up in Tampa or St. Pete a good 40-45 minutes away

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
We had a line here as well

Midnight to 1:00 AM with 60 receipts

Can't beat 1 sale every minute at a niche store.
Very nice.Hobby shops can do well if done right.A good personality and a staying somewhat competitive with the internet is key though.If I wanted to deal with someone with a lack of personality I would just shop online.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I hope sportscard and hobby shops never go away. Some of my favorite memories as a kid are hanging out at the baseball card shop. Even now, nothing beats looking through the display case, or binders or digging through bargain boxes while shooting the breeze with the owner and fellow customers. We have a couple good shops left here on Oahu. I just wish eBay's low prices didn't make it so hard for shops to compete.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I was the only one an hour into it that got the Black Friday packs. No one around here knew about it or they didn't care. Ended up with 3 jersey cards and a Kyrie Irving Magenta Progression Card, similar to a printing plate.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I miss hobby shops too. There's one in downtown Toronto that I remember used to do a pretty good Boxing Day sale: 50% off every single in the display cases.

Black Friday is only now really catching on with retailers in Canada as they try to keep Canadians on this side of the border. Haven't checked what the LCS's are doing this year.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Very nice.Hobby shops can do well if done right.A good personality and a staying somewhat competitive with the internet is key though.If I wanted to deal with someone with a lack of personality I would just shop online.

How the Hell does gilmo stay in business if it takes a good personality?

Couldn't resist :)

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
So I got a chance to stop in there this afternoon.The place was still busy,I grabbed 4 regular hobby boxes of Topps Football.Best run of boxes I have had in a long time.The Luck is a variation.

img218.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
We're not exactly a LCS, but a small chain (6 local stores now, had been 50+ on East Coast) in a good Seasonal Mall but we had two nice Wax sales so far, mostly due to Black Friday packs.

Overall business was good, mostly $10-20 novelties...

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
So I got a chance to stop in there this afternoon.The place was still busy,I grabbed 4 regular hobby boxes of Topps Football.Best run of boxes I have had in a long time.The Luck is a variation.

img218.jpg

damn mike sweet stuff. Jeffs was slammed all day and there was some sweet pulls. I didn't get there till the afternoon but saw the line outside around 930when I drove by. We really are lucky to have a top notch lcs and they don't get much better then jeff.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
damn mike sweet stuff. Jeffs was slammed all day and there was some sweet pulls. I didn't get there till the afternoon but saw the line outside around 930when I drove by. We really are lucky to have a top notch lcs and they don't get much better then jeff.

I couldn't believe there was a line when I drove by. I shot him a text telling him he was big time now that he has a black Friday line. I am never disappointed in the wax I buy there because you never have to worry about searching. I do miss the days when it was quieter in there but it was only a matter of time before word got around about good shop. And it couldn't be happening to a better guy.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
We're not exactly a LCS, but a small chain (6 local stores now, had been 50+ on East Coast) in a good Seasonal Mall but we had two nice Wax sales so far, mostly due to Black Friday packs.

Overall business was good, mostly $10-20 novelties...

BC?

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008

img218.jpg

Sweet hits Mike! I will be stopping by to see Jeff tomorrow, he has my boxes and packs set aside for me because I was away for Thanksging. Can't wait to bust my stuff, all I was thinking about today!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
For all those that say the hobby shop is dead I beg to differ. In my way to Walmart this morning I drove past the LCS I frequent. There was a line forming a half hour before he opened. They were all waiting for his black Friday event. Nothing crazy or any real blowouts. Just good prices and black Friday packs from Panini,Historic Autographs and Leaf. His shop is always packed. He also has no gaming cards. It just goes to show if you are honest, competitive and do right by people a hobby shop can thrive.

At 1:30 AM on Black Friday I witnessed a pack searcher feeling up some Platinum football cards in Target... "Having any luck?" I asked. "Nope" said the pack searcher. "Pack searchers already found everything" I said before walking away.

Losers operate all times of day apparently.

Members online

Latest posts