Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

anyone know if the poor mans patent really works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
Team up with a sponsor and the Angels and/or Dodgers...I would think it's a fit out here.

Posted by witchcraft, voodoo and technological kung fu.
Not a bad idea. Find a local minor league team, find a sponsor to put on the hat and give out a 500 at a game and have a table set up at the game selling them and with more info.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
can always get intouch with director of marketing at any of the big league clubs.

a camp brother of mine just took over the Mets dir of marketing. I can ask him.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
not sure if anyone has heard of Breathe Carolina but they are a band and my wifes sisters boyfriend is the drummer, and ive gone to their shows and hung out with them on their tour bus and was thinking of asking them to wear them in thier next video or on stage at their next big show. theyre from denver and theyre all pretty big sports fans, ive hooked them up with some of my starter jackets in the past.

Breathe Carolina - Blackout - YouTube

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Exactally. I'm 1 1/2 N of LA (Bakersfield) and we have alot of farming communities out here. Dodgers and Raiders is their fave. Alot of field workers wear those straw type hats. In every convenience store. But I thought I saw a Raiders one before.

Team up with a sponsor and the Angels and/or Dodgers...I would think it's a fit out here.

Posted by witchcraft, voodoo and technological kung fu.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
All it takes is to get a cult following like any fashion statement. I could see wearing one for fishing as I currently wear a cheap ass cowboy hat when out in the boat. I would actually wear one of those hats to the game as well. I think some people will think it is cool and others not. Some people are very afraid of change.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Just curious how you could possibly sell these to more then friends or family your basically using a hat made by whoever (new era, majestic, nike) and reselling them with a straw brim covering them. Also I'm pretty sure the nfl, mlb and nba would frown on you using their logos without paying them. Not trying to be a downer and I hope the idea is a huge success for you but the things I have mentioned above have been issues for other people starting out as well. to avoid issues I think you would have to make your own hats and pay for the rights to the team logos.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
Isn't the point of a straw hat to provide shade while allowing airflow to the head to keep cool? So, your model provides shade (plus) while still having the wool of a standard fitted hat in the middle (negative). I sweat my hair off in the summer wearing my O's hat because there is no circulation and it just turns into a head swamp. It is certainly an interesting idea, but it loses the main utility of a straw hat (which the Raiders full straw hat embedded above maintains) and that is to provide maximum shade/sun protection while allowing maximum sweat evaporation and heat relief.

Maybe think about it the opposite way (make a full head-brimmed hat with a thick wool brim for winter wear--to provide maximum heat insulation while still keeping the sun/snow/rain out of your eyes/hair). That it is currently 3 degrees outside where I am has no input on this suggestion, or anything. Thus, you would keep both the utility of a full head brim hat AND the utility of a wool hat.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
not sure if anyone has heard of Breathe Carolina but they are a band and my wifes sisters boyfriend is the drummer, and ive gone to their shows and hung out with them on their tour bus and was thinking of asking them to wear them in thier next video or on stage at their next big show. theyre from denver and theyre all pretty big sports fans, ive hooked them up with some of my starter jackets in the past.

Breathe Carolina - Blackout - YouTube
My girlfriend absolutely LOVES that band, she was super excited when they were on Warped Roadies on MTV the other day. I plan on taking her to see them when they come to STL next time! I personally would not wear these hats BUT I could see them catching on with an older crowd and for sure during spring training!

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Just curious how you could possibly sell these to more then friends or family your basically using a hat made by whoever (new era, majestic, nike) and reselling them with a straw brim covering them. Also I'm pretty sure the nfl, mlb and nba would frown on you using their logos without paying them. Not trying to be a downer and I hope the idea is a huge success for you but the things I have mentioned above have been issues for other people starting out as well. to avoid issues I think you would have to make your own hats and pay for the rights to the team logos.

This is why I was trying to sell the patent/ hat to a large company who already has the licenses, or parter up with them. I know there is no way I could buy the licensing for all the team logos. & the hats I gave to my friends are just prototypes haven't sold any just made some for friends.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
My girlfriend absolutely LOVES that band, she was super excited when they were on Warped Roadies on MTV the other day. I plan on taking her to see them when they come to STL next time! I personally would not wear these hats BUT I could see them catching on with an older crowd and for sure during spring training!

yeah we went to warped tour San Francisco and hung out before & after the show with all of them on their tour bus, & got to be on stage with them during the show too. It was pretty cool it was actually the first concert I have aver been to. I like their music but all the heavy metal type music isnt my thing so the whole warped tour experiance with all the other bands was kinda strange to me.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Rum, you should probably call the police and make sure that hat idea isn't stolen before you go out trying to sell those. Just to be safe...

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Rum, you should probably call the police and make sure that hat idea isn't stolen before you go out trying to sell those. Just to be safe...

ive already gone door to door to make sure nobody has seen them before, but ill check with local PD, border patrol, and nasa to make sure its safe to sell

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts