Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A crazy situation that happened in my shop today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Im late to this party but.
What exactly was the dad going to sue you for? Him being a XXXX parent? His son being a thiefing *****? As a 17 year old, if I were in your area and frequented your shop I would for sure handle that kid for you. I hate thiefs, and this one sounds horrible. Glad you got it resolved though!

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Im late to this party but.
What exactly was the dad going to sue you for? Him being a XXXX parent? His son being a thiefing *****? As a 17 year old, if I were in your area and frequented your shop I would for sure handle that kid for you. I hate thiefs, and this one sounds horrible. Glad you got it resolved though!

Until you have kids you won't understand the natural instinct to believe that your child will do no wrong. You wouldn't believe the bullXXXX that is capable of coming out of your mouth when it involves your child.

Sent from my portable **** viewing device!

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Like I said...

So, here is the update... I talked to the police this morning and they suggested that I try to work if out with the father first and then go to them if nothing happens. The father came back this evening with a much cooler head and apologized for how he acted yesterday and he and I worked out a mix of cards and cash to pay for the boxes, plus I got back the two single cards that were stolen from me. Along with that, the kid is going to write me a written apology and he is not allowed to touch any cards or intereact with other collectors through youtube, ebay etc. Along with that, he will not be allowed to do any fantasy sports leagues because his father believes that it is all tied in together. ( I think was in like 4 different football leagues and at least 3 basketball leagues) He will not be allowed to do anything with cards for a long time until he has a job, and can show that he is mature enough to handle a hobby that costs money. His father is also signing him for addiction counseling through their church and he will probably do customer service through the church... I am satisfied with the resolution and i really hope the kid gets the help he needs now.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
So, here is the update... I talked to the police this morning and they suggested that I try to work if out with the father first and then go to them if nothing happens. The father came back this evening with a much cooler head and apologized for how he acted yesterday and he and I worked out a mix of cards and cash to pay for the boxes, plus I got back the two single cards that were stolen from me. Along with that, the kid is going to write me a written apology and he is not allowed to touch any cards or intereact with other collectors through youtube, ebay etc. Along with that, he will not be allowed to do any fantasy sports leagues because his father believes that it is all tied in together. ( I think was in like 4 different football leagues and at least 3 basketball leagues) He will not be allowed to do anything with cards for a long time until he has a job, and can show that he is mature enough to handle a hobby that costs money. His father is also signing him for addiction counseling through their church and he will probably do customer service through the church... I am satisfied with the resolution and i really hope the kid gets the help he needs now.

I'm glad this situation worked out and, while the father's reaction was completely inappropriate, I can offer some perspective.

When I was a sophomore in high school (1990) I was like this kid. I was socially awkward, other kids picked on me, and I had no friends except one guy I hung out with that was in the same boat I was. I had collected cards since '83, but the idea that baseball cards could be valuable really fascinated and thrilled me. I only got $10 a month in allowance, and once that ran dry I eventually gave in and shoplifted a few times. One time in particular I remember searching packs of 1990 Score for hot rookies of the day like Eric Anthony and, of course, the Ryne Sandberg error. The ones I wanted I slipped into my coat pocket. Like this kid, I was also way too into watching pro sports. Had Yahoo! fantasy leagues been around back then I would have owned 100 teams and not spent any time on homework. Also, just like this kid, I started hanging out in a card shop that opened just around the corner from me even though I couldn't buy anything and pretty much just bugged the owner.

My dad is actually pretty good and did a fine job parenting. I just really needed a mentor at that time in my life that I could relate to. Someone to challenge me to grow up, have better hygiene, participate in activities that built my confidence, etc.

Not long after that I got a job when I was 15 and started making money to pay for cards. In 1997 and 1998 it started becoming a problem for me again as I was spending way too much money on ripping (we called it shredding). It was a gambling addiction to me and hits fueled my fire. Fortunately, ebay came about and turned my world upside down. I realized TRUE market value (thanks, Beckett!) and it hit me like a ton of bricks that I was blowing a ton of money on boxes, selling the hits on ebay, and coming out wayyy upside down. Instead I could be buying the exact cards I wanted for less than I was blowing on boxes. Somehow that cured me :mrgreen: I've not bought a box of cards since 1998.

So I can see a lot of myself in this kid.

Edit: Oops - I have bought some old school boxes since 1998 on the cheap to piece out, work on a set, or group break. Nothing newer than 1998.

Last edited:

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
Until you have kids you won't understand the natural instinct to believe that your cold will do no wrong. You wouldn't believe the bullXXXX that is capable of coming out of your mouth when it involves your child.

Sent from my portable **** viewing device!
Agreed when your own flesh and blood is involved your thinking changes. Ask me this 10 years ago I would have gave a completely different answer. I'm glad it all worked out.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Bann the family. Get back all the items he stole from you. Call the police to give the kid a stern talking to and to deal with his father.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I still think that this would be a prime opportunity for the father and son to spend time together and bond. Why take something away from the kid that he likes to do? Participation and regulation would be much better than banning him from the activities all together.

I understand the fathers anger (don't condone the manner) but if he did talk to the shop owner he assumed the kids ban was in effect.

I also think the op did everything right.

The only one at fault here is the kid. (The dad is at fault for lacking coping skills) However he apologized and that's more than most people would do in society! Get what makes the situation whole and move on..

DieselTheCollected

May 24, 2013
Janesville, WI
Well one he has NO legal action he can take against you. So you are in the clear there. You cannot be sued for being "too nice" secondly the reason the kid is in their all the time is due to Negligent parenting (I wouldnt say this too the dad though) my parents always know where I am they might not ask where Im going every time it is impossible to keep track of your kids every move but if im spending the amount of time it seems the kid does in their my parents would know where I was. IF it were me I would not call the cops. Save the youtube video, survailence tapes of him walking, and anything else you can gather up against the kid. In about one week I would contact the father and say listen here is my two options you can either make him return all the cards he stole and apologize to me and realize he will not be allowed in my store again, OR I call the cops and give them all the evidence I have and your son will get in much more trouble. I see no reason why this kid should automatically have this on his record when some kids do just do some stupid thing. For example when I was little I emailed a company and asked them if I could ghost hunt in their building with three of my friends because we heard it was haunted obviously we didnt break any laws but the idea is ridiculous but we thought it seemed like a flawless plan. Im happy that you were so nice to this kid it is a shame that he took advantage of you

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
All these people wanting to beat the kid up are crazy! The Dad needs a ass whoppin,sounds like the Kid has a disabiltiy and needs help.Calling the police would be good and maybe the kid needs some family members to step up and show this kid a better example!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts