Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why all the MLB and rookie baseball card rules?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There's no reason to think you or anyone else would be happier in the hobby with more releases or more vendors; you haven't indicated - even in a general sense, never mind a specific one - more of what you want to see with regard to innovation because you probably don't even know (IDK, glitter?). There's only so much one can do with cards...
When did I mention a need for innovation?
I'm a set collector. I like things simple.

I just want a better selection of simple base sets, from different companies, all with licenses and no airbrushed hats.
Large 400 to 800 card base sets by more companies.

Cheap packs of base cards from many companies so collectors can bust affordable boxes and trade to build sets.
Give Upper Deck, Leaf and Panini licenses to use team logos so the cards don't look cheap.

MLB can still limit the amount of sets each company makes so there's not a glut on the market.
All I'm asking for is more variety in the number of companies that can make licensed cards.
Topps should not have a monopoly.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
When did I mention a need for innovation?
I'm a set collector. I like things simple.

I just want a better selection of simple base sets, from different companies, all with licenses and no airbrushed hats.
Large 400 to 800 card base sets by more companies.

Cheap packs of base cards from many companies so collectors can bust affordable boxes and trade to build sets.
Give Upper Deck, Leaf and Panini licenses to use team logos so the cards don't look cheap.

MLB can still limit the amount of sets each company makes so there's not a glut on the market.
All I'm asking for is more variety in the number of companies that can make licensed cards.
Topps should not have a monopoly.

A simpler & straight-forward hobby almost as it was in the late '80s certainly works for me, especially if more players are included.

I personally don't see the difference between one manufacturer producing 4 sets and four manufacturers producing 1 set each though - but we've witnessed that its much more difficult for four manufacturers to stay in business than one.

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
A simpler & straight-forward hobby almost as it was in the late '80s certainly works for me, especially if more players are included.

I personally don't see the difference between one manufacturer producing 4 sets and four manufacturers producing 1 set each though - but we've witnessed that its much more difficult for four manufacturers to stay in business than one.

That's really false logic, since it was MLB, not the free market, that put Upper Deck, DLP and to some extent, Fleer, out of the market place. MLB monopolized the industry as a response to a problem that didn't exist.

And while YOU may not see a difference in 4 from 1 versus 1 from 4 companies per releases, MANY people do, and would like to see a variety. The market supported it all thru the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Sure, some went away, but they put out inferior product. NOW, since we have it your way, Topps is free to put out as many inferior products as they see fit, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
That's really false logic, since it was MLB, not the free market, that put Upper Deck, DLP and to some extent, Fleer, out of the market place. MLB monopolized the industry as a response to a problem that didn't exist.

And while YOU may not see a difference in 4 from 1 versus 1 from 4 companies per releases, MANY people do, and would like to see a variety. The market supported it all thru the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. Sure, some went away, but they put out inferior product. NOW, since we have it your way, Topps is free to put out as many inferior products as they see fit, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

No, not true. Check out: Pinnacle (incl. Donruss and Score), (basically) Fleer (incl. SkyBox) purchased by UD, Pacific (I believe). We know the shape UD is in and that certainly wasn't entirely caused by MLB.

MLB did the right thing in making sure manufacturers maintained the best interests of the league; we've witnessed manufacturers do shady things when on the brink.

Is there reason to think the hobby could support four manufacturers of a meaningful size today? If it couldn't between the mid-90s and the mid-00s there's no reason to think it would be able to do so today. While important to you and people here, the hobby isn't important to enough people to support much.

This has NOTHING to do with wanting variety, it has everything to do with a hobby being able to support viable manufacturers.

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
I also miss having multiple card companies producing baseball cards picturing players with their team's logos. I loved having a variety of brands to choose from, and Donruss, Fleer, Pacific, and Upper Deck pushed the creative envelope. Those were the good old days. I'm just happy the player I collect had cards in the early 2000s and doesn't have anything from 2009 on.

Members online

No members online now.