Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which cards from 2000 to 2015 will be the next...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
In your opinion, which cards from 2000 to 2015 will be the next "1993 Finest Refractors," "1996 Select Certified Mirror Golds," "1998 Donruss Crusades" or "1999 Fleer Tradition Staring Nines" as far as demand, limited supply and increasing value are concerned?

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
I would add in fulfilled redemptions with low print runs. So many redemptions added into the hobby in the 2000+ and especially for anything /25 or lower chances are not all have seen the light of day (unless Topps just hands them out via redemption replacements).

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think Heritage Black Refractors eventually could catch fire. They look nice no matter what the design, they are in a nice print run range where they are obtainable but not easy by any means, especially building a set, and most especially as years go by and they get locked into permanent collections. While they've been around for 11 years now with some reasonable popularity, you could wake up one morning and find that they've all been bought up and any auction has fierce competition. And the gold refractors #/5 they made starting in 2013 could blow up even higher.

And I second the 2011 Museums. Slice of fried gold.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
th

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Some of those Upper Deck jumbo patches could be really desirable and hard-to-get

The repeat for 90's Topps Tek would obviously be either Donruss Portraits or Absolute ToTT

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
These could be a super premium, considering they only did one year

Image25_zpse1ec7e35.jpg

And Donruss Recollections Autos could be a high mark for collectors, right [MENTION=1794]A_Pharis[/MENTION] ?

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
These could be a super premium, considering they only did one year

Image25_zpse1ec7e35.jpg

I don't think these will ever catch fire. The sets that do become iconic need people willing to build the set, or at least a team/player run. A subset of all 1/1 cards doesn't fit the bill. Add to that, Ginter has endless 1/1 concepts, subsets, ripcard sets ect ect ect.

These 1/1's hidden in the boxtops are too few. There will be no

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
2003 Topps Black - the first year of a popular parallel that's been issued for a dozen+ years now.

Also, jersey/patch cards of pre-war HOFers, since the jerseys have either dried up on the market or now sell for too much for it to make any economic sense cutting them up for cards. Bats are far more common and we see a lot of pants now in place of jerseys.

Jan 14, 2009
2003 Topps Black - the first year of a popular parallel that's been issued for a dozen+ years now.

Agreed.

Also, a sleeper set regardless of the /500 print run: 2001 Stadium Club Beam Team are always difficult to find. Great design/eye appeal from a product that wasn't heavily broken and they hardly ever show up for sale. I can't think any 2000's non-auto, non-GU insert/parallels with that kind of print run that still sell for as much as they do.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I like a lot of these suggestions. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, however, I'm not convinced there's enough modern collectors that would create any sort of nostalgic buying population a decade from now. And while the 90s cards mentioned above are "hot" and desirable, the fact is they are far easier and cheaper to obtain now than they were 20 years ago. Or is my thinking way off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
2001 Topps Heritage Chrome immediately comes to mind.

What does every set you mentioned have in common, other than they were all released in the 1990's? They were all released before Ebay became popular and have all had a chance to be snatched up into permanent collections. Nowadays, even when a rare set is released, they're immediately flooded onto Ebay and COMC. I can't think of any products that have dried up to the point of being difficult to locate. 2011 Marquee Museum Collection is a rare exception, as are 2005 Sweet Spot Classics jumbo patches (along with 2009 Ultimate)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I gotta think that if heritage was gonna be a long term item, 2001 is probably going to be the one. They do it every year and look to be stopping no time soon.

If I had to guess, I'd say absolute memorabilia tott stuff and random gu sets with deceased HOF'ers. Since topps basically indicates on most of their newer stuff that items are not necessarily anything other than player worn, I'd say even retired or current players with real gu'd items in these cards(per wording anyway...) might see an uptick in value.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I was thinking the '14 rarer Tek stuff but if they keep printing this stuff year after year then that ruined my theory.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I think it will end up being one of the Topps Toys R Us sets. The first couple of years have already dried up, but it isn't unattainable.