Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sad times at the loss of baseball heritage. [Local team leaving - again]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

acesoldtimers.jpg

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013307150016

From my post on FB:

[h=5]I am amazed at how so many people in this area drive by Bringhurst every day with no idea the history that has been there. That field has seen everything from local high school heroes to Hall of Fame Major Leaguers (Duke Snider, etc). There is more heritage in that stadium and its predecessor than a lot of the other heavily-regarded destinations in the area.

It'll be a shame if that history is completely forgotten.

Signed,
A fan of this country's REAL National Pastime.[/h]

Some recent history: Alexandria Aces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some older history: 1907 Alexandria White Sox Statistics -- Minor Leagues - Baseball-Reference.com

Take note! : The Aces weren’t called the Aces until 1934, when Bringhurst Field was built. We had pro baseball teams that went by various nicknames before then, dating back to the Alexandria White Sox of the Gulf Coast League in 1907-08. They were noted for beating the World Series champion Chicago White Sox, 1-0, in an exhibition game in ’07 at the local ball field then, which was called Sportsman’s Park

More: 1920 Alexandria Tigers Statistics -- Minor Leagues - Baseball-Reference.com

And my favorite: 1929 Alexandria Reds Statistics -- Minor Leagues - Baseball-Reference.com (They were the Reds from 1925 - 1930 with 1929 featuring a guy I actively search for.. Odell Hale)

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Makes me think of a field where [MENTION=8688]U L Washington Rookie[/MENTION] and I grew up. Ty Cobb and other greats played games here. Later in time we played little league and then softball games in the same place.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Carl Hubbell played on this field for the Commodores in 1927. Tons of history in these parks across the US.

I have honestly thought about trying to do some excavations at our park.

Members online