Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jacoby Ellsbury said no, Nelson Cruz said no, David Price says no...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
being most of my friends are yankee fans, it tickles me to se the reaction of losing a home grown talent due to money. they dont know how to handle it...

Go back and look at my post history on Cano.

Nelson Cruz turned down a 5/$75m offer from Seattle. The Mariners were willing to offer Ellsbury 9 years. David Price says he won't sign an extension with the Mariners.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Yankees have bought "talent" for at least the last 13 years. Clemens, Johnson, sabathia, giambi, a-rod, Damon, texiera, now Beltran and more. Long gone are the days of home grown talent for any team really. for spending, the yanks are above and beyond anyone else

As for the M's signing people. I'm a huge fan. They overpaid cano in money and years so bitter about that. And I can't blame other high profile guys saying no. Until a team shows they can win or have won the high profile guys want nothing to do with them. Once they do it's always "I've liked or respected so and so for a long time " it's all a bunch of bs

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Yankees have bought "talent" for at least the last 13 years. Clemens, Johnson, sabathia, giambi, a-rod, Damon, texiera, now Beltran and more. Long gone are the days of home grown talent for any team really. for spending, the yanks are above and beyond anyone else

As for the M's signing people. I'm a huge fan. They overpaid cano in money and years so bitter about that. And I can't blame other high profile guys saying no. Until a team shows they can win or have won the high profile guys want nothing to do with them. Once they do it's always "I've lined or respected so and so for a long time " it's all a bunch of bs

Sent from my iPhone

I'm sure that only the Yanks ever buy players. The Rangers, Sox, M's, Angels, Tigers don't buy their players at all :rolleyes: I think its hilarious when people say that. Every team essentially "buys" players. Thats the way all sports are! The Yankees have a ton of revenue coming in and if they are able to make the postseason their revenues skyrocket. They lost a ton of money not making the playoffs last year. That is why they spend. They have the money and use it on the team instead of pocketing it like the majority of other owners.

10 years 240 million is a huge overpayment from Cano. I wish him the best but prepare for 300 20 hrs 90-100 rbis. I wouldn't pay 24 million per for that. I think the Mariners needed to sign him though because every other semi big name free agent or trade target all said they WILL NOT go there even for more money.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I'm sure that only the Yanks ever buy players. The Rangers, Sox, M's, Angels, Tigers don't buy their players at all :rolleyes: I think its hilarious when people say that. Every team essentially "buys" players. Thats the way all sports are! The Yankees have a ton of revenue coming in and if they are able to make the postseason their revenues skyrocket. They lost a ton of money not making the playoffs last year. That is why they spend. They have the money and use it on the team instead of pocketing it like the majority of other owners.

10 years 240 million is a huge overpayment from Cano. I wish him the best but prepare for 300 20 hrs 90-100 rbis. I wouldn't pay 24 million per for that. I think the Mariners needed to sign him though because every other semi big name free agent or trade target all said they WILL NOT go there even for more money.

I wasn't saying other teams don't spend because they certainly do. Look at the angels, rangers, dodgers (who are giving the Yankees a run for their money) it's business. I get that. But as a whole the Yankees are loved or hated I think on this one dynamic alone. How many World Series has this spending brought them? 1 in 13 years.

Sent from my iPhone

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I wasn't saying other teams don't spend because they certainly do. Look at the angels, rangers, dodgers (who are giving the Yankees a run for their money) it's business. I get that. But as a whole the Yankees are loved or hated I think on this one dynamic alone. How many World Series has this spending brought them? 1 in 13 years.

Sent from my iPhone

Its been proven over and over again that money doesn't guarantee Championships. However, it increases your chances of making the postseason dramatically. It just makes zero sense to bash the Yanks for spending when the M's just spent 240 million dollars on a 2B who will hit 300 20 100 and will be paying him until he's 41 or 42.

Who would you rather have. Jacoby, McCann, and Beltran for a few more dollars and many less years or Cano for more years but slightly less money.

I'll take 3 all star caliber players over one for similar costs every day of the week and twice on sunday.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
And I would too! I groaned at the deal. It shouldn't of been more than 7 years 180 mil. M's are trying to keep up (and I'm glad it's happening finally)but going about it wrong I think

Sent from my iPhone

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
And I would too! I groaned at the deal. It shouldn't of been more than 7 years 180 mil. M's are trying to keep up (and I'm glad it's happening finally)but going about it wrong I think

Sent from my iPhone
Yeah. 7 years at 25 per would've been something I would've been happy with the Yanks paying. 10 years, we've seen again and again that these deals DO NOT work out. I tip my cap to the M's for doing it but it speaks volumes that even after getting Cano many FA's are still not wanting to be in Seattle.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And how many World Series has the spending brought the teams you mentioned in the same time span?
Angels - 1
Rangers - 0
Dodgers - 0

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I'm loving it..

I think he will do just fine in Seattle..especially with the shorter fences.. Also the marine air from off the water will help him since he is a lefty.. maybe they will resign Morales and .. and... and..

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Unfortunately for Seattle no one big probably will unless they play up to or beyond their ability.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think Seattle is in a bad position. But they are a few years from contending because they can't get any Marquee guys in there. Especially in that division. No way can they finish above the A's or Rangers next year and the Angels will more than likely finish ahead as well.

In a couple years once Hultzen, Walker, Paxton etc. are up that Rotation could be absolutely insane which would entice more FA's IMO.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Well, to be fair, this could be a ploy by Price and his agent, and even if it's not, it's how Price feels now, not two seasons from now. First, why would price necessarily outright say he'd sign an extension with ANYBODY? He doesn't know where he'll be, and why show his hand? Assuming he's traded, he's coming from a team where he's known nothing but winning, so of course faced with a trade, he's going to try to steer himself away from teams that aren't currently in contention, no matter how great of a pitching environment it is. Even if he, right now legitimately thinks he won't resign with the M's if traded there, what if he gets traded there, and they contend next year, and look like they'll be even better in 2015, and he's been embraced by the fans and is won over by the area? So, good chance it's a ploy, but even if not, he doesn't know how he'll feel 2 years from now, and we REALLY don't.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Well, to be fair, this could be a ploy by Price and his agent, and even if it's not, it's how Price feels now, not two seasons from now. First, why would price necessarily outright say he'd sign an extension with ANYBODY? He doesn't know where he'll be, and why show his hand? Assuming he's traded, he's coming from a team where he's known nothing but winning, so of course faced with a trade, he's going to try to steer himself away from teams that aren't currently in contention, no matter how great of a pitching environment it is. Even if he, right now legitimately thinks he won't resign with the M's if traded there, what if he gets traded there, and they contend next year, and look like they'll be even better in 2015, and he's been embraced by the fans and is won over by the area? So, good chance it's a ploy, but even if not, he doesn't know how he'll feel 2 years from now, and we REALLY don't.
Very doubtful its a ploy. Why would anyone want to go from TB and their winning ways to the M's who are almost ALWAYS at the bottom at least recently. Yes if they improve in the next few years then he may change his mind. But He will likely be traded next offseason or at the trade deadline this year to a contender who washes its farm away to get him. He's not going to be traded for unless he will sign an extension.

It has nothing to do with 2 years from now either. He won't ever be on the FA market and it would be ludicrous to trade for him without the guarantee of a extension.

How would it feel as an M's fan to trade Zunino, Paxton, etc. and gut the farm besides a few guys for Price only for him to leave a year later?

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Exactly, how many players have the Yankees swiped by "showing them the money"?

Skrip, do you really expect anything less from a big portion of the teams fan base???

The yanks have been doing this to teams and laughing about it for years. Even when they didn't get the player, they would drive the price up so high,
it hurt the team that did. This was all done on purpose. Now guys are saying no to the yanks and teams are taking some of their guys and the fans
can't stand it and go on the attack of the player.

Yes, the mariners had to over pay to get him, but they got him. They needed to make a big splash to get their fans back and attract other players.
They have a new tv deal coming soon and will be able to spend a lot more money the next few years. But this gave them a top 10 hitter in the world,
to go with some good pitching. I'm guessing, they turn the team around. They have a ton of young talent and bringing in a big bat/star will take some
pressure off the young guys. Today, they brought in 2 vets to help as well. And they still have a few young players, many teams are asking about,
including the yanks.

They used the yanks strat to do what they needed to do. They overpaid, but got the guy they wanted/needed.
Why attack them for it.

The act has grown tired. It's past being petty. It's like an angry toddler, that didn't more cheerios.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts