Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps being shady, keeping/grading cards, undermining value of previous releases, again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/mysterious-2013-bowman-chrome-draft-kris-bryant-autos-surface/

Integrity? Who needs it. Just do whatever you want for profit. As I have stated in the past, and always get crap for, this hobby needs more regulation. There are pretty much no checks and balances in this industry and it leads to **** like this.

Regulation is a laughable, weak sauce answer. The best 'regulation' is your money. Stop sending it to them, otherwise they won't have much incentive to change.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/mysterious-2013-bowman-chrome-draft-kris-bryant-autos-surface/

Integrity? Who needs it. Just do whatever you want for profit. As I have stated in the past, and always get crap for, this hobby needs more regulation. There are pretty much no checks and balances in this industry and it leads to **** like this.

I don't see the US Congress taking this up anytime in the near 100 years so regulation isn't going to happen. If there was the slightest chance the Congress would bring up legislation for regulation, you better belive the US Chamber of Commerce would be there to shut the legislation down!

YOU, the sports card collector/seller/breaker/gotta have my fix guy, needs to regulate with you're wallet. Don't buy anything from them or distributors. Let BO, Dave & Adam's, Southern Hobby and the likes sit on them in their warehouses. Buy singles from those that do buy/break/sell. The almighty $$$ speaks loud.

Fordman

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I don't see the US Congress taking this up anytime in the near 100 years so regulation isn't going to happen. If there was the slightest chance the Congress would bring up legislation for regulation, you better belive the US Chamber of Commerce would be there to shut the legislation down!

YOU, the sports card collector/seller/breaker/gotta have my fix guy, needs to regulate with you're wallet. Don't buy anything from them or distributors. Let BO, Dave & Adam's, Southern Hobby and the likes sit on them in their warehouses. Buy singles from those that do buy/break/sell. The almighty $$$ speaks loud.

Fordman

Again, Topps, Panini and Upper Deck never receive a penny from me. And this stuff never stops. Nothing changes. Blah blah blah. Same ****, different decade. Thieves and swindlers run the hobby. Now with exclusive licensing in all 4 major sport, it will only get worse. PSA is shady and frighteningly oblivious to people faking and/or altering their slabs. BGS is shady and hap-hazard with their grading. Topps is shady as all hell. Panini is shady. It's a scary times for the hobby when Upper Deck is one of the cleaner companies right now, and all they have, really, is hockey. Sad times to be a collector, IMO. And seriously, I think mostly it's due to exclusive licensing, other than the TPG stuff.

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Again, Topps, Panini and Upper Deck never receive a penny from me. And this stuff never stops. Nothing changes. Blah blah blah. Same ****, different decade. Thieves and swindlers run the hobby. Now with exclusive licensing in all 4 major sport, it will only get worse. PSA is shady and frighteningly oblivious to people faking and/or altering their slabs. BGS is shady and hap-hazard with their grading. Topps is shady as all hell. Panini is shady. It's a scary times for the hobby when Upper Deck is one of the cleaner companies right now, and all they have, really, is hockey. Sad times to be a collector, IMO. And seriously, I think mostly it's due to exclusive licensing, other than the TPG stuff.

If you give none of them anything, who or what do you collect? Really just curious. Because even if you buy cards on the secondary market, you feed that beast, like it or not...

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
If you give none of them anything, who or what do you collect? Really just curious. Because even if you buy cards on the secondary market, you feed that beast, like it or not...

I don't agree with that at all. That's bogus. If the product wasn't purchased and opened, I would have nothing to buy and wouldn't. I'm not forcing anyone to open product by buying on the secondary market. They do that of their own free will.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I don't agree with that at all. That's bogus. If the product wasn't purchased and opened, I would have nothing to buy and wouldn't. I'm not forcing anyone to open product by buying on the secondary market. They do that of their own free will.
but most wouldn't do it if there weren't a market for the cards they open. You buy secondary market singles, you are providing incentive for people to buy direct from Topps, aka "feeding the beast."

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
but most wouldn't do it if there weren't a market for the cards they open. You buy secondary market singles, you are providing incentive for people to buy direct from Topps, aka "feeding the beast."

That's like blaming people who buy heroin for a heroin epidemic instead of those selling it. Come on. You can't believe this. It's illogical. You can make the connection in a literal sense, but it is still highly illogical to act like they are the same thing.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town

If one were to buy only secondary market stuff that's old enough to not be very similar to current products (maybe that's pre-2000 or even older), that's not really feeding the beast.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Great start, then. But...

Supporting regulation that shouldn't impact you; how noble.

Maybe I would buy from them if I didn't think that their products were all rigged. Why would I buy unopened products when a lot of what is supposed to be inserted isn't even inserted. It's the reason I don't take that risk. Redemptions, holding out cards, releasing stuff from that very product in future, different products. It's a big farce.

And is there really a need to be rude about it. I never claimed to be "noble". It's called discussion. You have a better idea, let's hear it. Sitting on your hands and being snarky to people throwing around ideas seems to be working great.

Last edited:

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
That's like blaming people who buy heroin for a heroin epidemic instead of those selling it. Come on. You can't believe this. It's illogical. You can make the connection in a literal sense, but it is still highly illogical to act like they are the same thing.
It isn't about blame, it's about supply and demand. In the same way you suggested we (demand) not buy from Dave and Adams (supply) because then they (demand) would stop ordering from topps (supply), MB suggested you (demand) stop buying from singles sellers (supply) because that would cause them (demand) not want to order more boxes from Dave and Adams (supply), causing Dave and Adams (demand) to not want to order more from Topps (supply).

My advice, however, is to focus on what you like about the hobby and pursue and enjoy it ;)

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
It isn't about blame, it's about supply and demand. In the same way you suggested we (demand) not buy from Dave and Adams (supply) because then they (demand) would stop ordering from topps (supply), MB suggested you (demand) stop buying from singles sellers (supply) because that would cause them (demand) not want to order more boxes from Dave and Adams (supply), causing Dave and Adams (demand) to not want to order more from Topps (supply).

My advice, however, is to focus on what you like about the hobby and pursue and enjoy it ;)

That is what I do. That doesn't preclude me from pointing out shady crap from shady companies.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
The breakers are the primary customers of Topps. The motive of the breakers is to resell the cards. Buying Topps cards in the secondary market most certainly drives Topp's business. It's a very straightforward concept.

Members online