Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cal Ripken, Jr. collector's thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Surprised meaning you thought that end price was high or low?

Seems high to me, but then again I don't have any 1 of 1s so I'm not the intended market. Also surprised at the end price because the Ripken collectors have dried up around here, Griffey prices have left Ripkens looking dirt cheap. But a nice $1200 sale makes me feel a lot better about being a Ripken guy, there's definitely some hidden demand out there!

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
Seems high to me, but then again I don't have any 1 of 1s so I'm not the intended market. Also surprised at the end price because the Ripken collectors have dried up around here, Griffey prices have left Ripkens looking dirt cheap. But a nice $1200 sale makes me feel a lot better about being a Ripken guy, there's definitely some hidden demand out there!

I can shed a little light on this, as I had the second highest bid. I've been working on the 1998 SPx Finite off and on since it was issued in 1998. I've already got one of the Mike Piazza 1/1 cards from the set and thought it would be nice to add this one. The bid had less to do with the card being Cal Ripken Jr., but more because it was from my set. I do think that winner was a Cal collector though.

Candidly, I was surprised that it went so high as well. I expected to win it in the $500-$800 range. If I had to guess, the winner was probably a little shocked as well.

I'm down to needing just a handful of cards, all of which are numbered to either 100 or 50. If I had to guess, the final card will be someone like Charles Johnson or Travis Lee vs. one of the big name guys.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
That's so badass. I'm not specifically a Ripken collector, but I'd love to upgrade my PSA 10 Brilliants Gold #/99 to a 24K like yours

Hey, I'd also pay some nice coin for that ;) Not that he would be selling of course.

I can shed a little light on this, as I had the second highest bid. I've been working on the 1998 SPx Finite off and on since it was issued in 1998. I've already got one of the Mike Piazza 1/1 cards from the set and thought it would be nice to add this one. The bid had less to do with the card being Cal Ripken Jr., but more because it was from my set. I do think that winner was a Cal collector though.

Candidly, I was surprised that it went so high as well. I expected to win it in the $500-$800 range. If I had to guess, the winner was probably a little shocked as well.

I'm down to needing just a handful of cards, all of which are numbered to either 100 or 50. If I had to guess, the final card will be someone like Charles Johnson or Travis Lee vs. one of the big name guys.

Ah, makes sense then. So basically a bid war between you as a set collector and a Ripken guy wanting a 1 of 1. Sorry you didn't win it but I also think the winner paid more than they would have hoped!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
That went for more , like 50%+, if I remember correctly than some of the Flair Masterpiece 1/1s of Cals in the last few months

Ryan

1998 SPx

Jun 11, 2014
Yeah, I've got mixed feelings about not winning that auction. I would've loved to add the card to the collection, but $1,200 is a big number.

I originally mentioned that the bid had nothing to do with it being Cal Ripken Jr, but that isn't entirely true. As I consider it, I certainly wouldn't have bid that much on a Griffey Jr. Throughout his career, I thought that Griffey was a punk who didn't appreciate the fans. He hardly ever signed autographs. He would get voted into All-Star Games, then make the fans and media beg him to attend. I felt his power was overrated. He played in that little bandbox up in Seattle, padding his numbers, then left town as soon as they built a sizeable stadium, fleeing to Cincinnati. Another homer friendly ballpark. I always thought he was pretty much a clown.

Cal, on the other hand, was always a class act and a guy that other major leaguers should strive to be like. He is worth a higher bid to me!

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
Nice card bud!

Couple new Ripkens for me recently:

20150420_191349_zpsvpc9exc7.jpeg

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
I have never seen one before so I don't know how the number was done. The other 2002 Ultra with serial numbers was stamped in but for some reason this Ultra Hitting Machine Bat Platinum is hand numbered. Anyone have one to compare? This is numbered to 25.

attachment.php

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I have never seen one before so I don't know how the number was done. The other 2002 Ultra with serial numbers was stamped in but for some reason this Ultra Hitting Machine Bat Platinum is hand numbered. Anyone have one to compare? This is numbered to 25.

attachment.php

might be a replacement, or possibly from National Pastime, check for a crimp stamp
fleerstamp.jpg

Phils747

Jun 18, 2014
Does anyone know if any trading card sets for the Cal Ripken Collegiate League are produced? There's a player from my area (Nick Dunn on the Silver Spring-Takoma T-Bolts) in the league this year so I'm trying to pick up a card if one is made. I searched around online and didn't see anything.

Also, if anyone goes to any of the games and would be willing to get an auto of Dunn, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I've been trying to help move COMC's error corrections along, and baseball is now down to 30 cards with no set ID. Can someone identify this card?

2015 [???] [???] #8 - Cal Ripken Jr.
Courtesy of COMC.com

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I've been trying to help move COMC's error corrections along, and baseball is now down to 30 cards with no set ID. Can someone identify this card?

2015 [???] [???] #8 - Cal Ripken Jr.
Courtesy of COMC.com

Looks like something from the 2001 Fleer Ripken Box set (the logo) but not sure if they had GU inserts ?

Ryan

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
Looks like something from the 2001 Fleer Ripken Box set (the logo) but not sure if they had GU inserts ?

Ryan

Correct. It comes from the 2001 Fleer Cal Ripken Career Highlights Glossy set (the black box #'d /2632 not the orange one #'d /50,000). Inside the boxes you would get two random memorabilia cards from a set of four (bat, white jsy, orange jsy variation, or auto). Here are examples of all four cards...

https://pristineauction.com/a95883-...ts-Box-Sex-with-1-Autograph-3-Game-Used-Cards

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Correct. It comes from the 2001 Fleer Cal Ripken Career Highlights Glossy set (the black box #'d /2632 not the orange one #'d /50,000). Inside the boxes you would get two random memorabilia cards from a set of four (bat, white jsy, orange jsy variation, or auto). Here are examples of all four cards...

https://pristineauction.com/a95883-...ts-Box-Sex-with-1-Autograph-3-Game-Used-Cards

That's sort of what I was thinking, but in all the copies of the set I found for sale, I couldn't find any reference to what was actually in the set. Thanks to you both!

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
I'm wanting to buy a 1996 Topps Mystery Finest Cal Ripken Jr #M7 regular issue and refractor with the unpeeled black film on the front. Anyone have them available for sale? I'm also looking for a 1996 unpeeled Gwynn refractor #M9 as well. Thanks, Jeremy

Members online