Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Right!? Have you see the A Cut Above's listed for 5 - 6k as well? Has to be an alt of the same seller.

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
I just saw those. My jaw about dropped! There is no way those will sell for that much. Maybe after they sit for a year, the seller will realize what the actual market value really is.

His perogative to ask what he wants, but my perogative to pass those overpriced cards by. ;)

I didn't see the Cut Above's listed for 6K. I'll go look now.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
For 1:2280 these sure do come up a lot - at least one a week. Starting to think the aren't as rare as we think.

LOL'd at these prices

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Ultra-Hitting-Machine-GM-Ken-Griffey-Jr-BGS-9-PSA-Pop-0-1-2880-3-20-/322042379182?hash=item4afb38bbae:g:FWEAAOSwu1VW6aFs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Ultra-Hitting-Machine-GM-Ken-Griffey-Jr-PSA-10-Pop-2-1-2880-1-20-/322042549994?hash=item4afb3b56ea:g:Vu8AAOSwoudW6Z5v

Actual market value
[advanced Ebay item search]

300 - 500

How does everyone feel about how many of these are listed weekly? Were they so mass produced being Fleer Ultra that even though the odds are high there could be thousands of them out there?

Those prices for the Hitting Machines and A Cut Aboves are exorbitant, I agree. However, seeing many of these being listed as of late doesn't surprise me at all; I imagine many sellers out there have been hoarding/collecting these in anticipation for when they believe the Griffey market will be higher-than-usual demand (e.g., right now) and are trying to cash in.

Also, seeing many being listed on eBay the past few months doesn't lead me to believe there are thousands out there. I enjoy seeing these come back into the market for sale as it gives collectors more opportunities to obtain one; yes, the asking prices are high and they may not sell - thus frustrating the potential buyers - but this is nothing new on eBay. If this influx continues steadily at this rate over time, prices could go down.

Lastly, call me naive, but I'll believe Ultra's stated odds until something/someone proves/shows otherwise.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
I believe the odds of the pull are correct, no question there - just wondering if we know how many cases fleer pumped out that year. 1:2888 packs is insane, but im wondering if these were numbered roughly how many do you think would be out there? 100, 500, 1000?
Ive come across 3 in my collecting days and just recently sold my last one (for the reason you mentioned the market is high right now)

Rare card yes, but how many were printed?

Also for the stated odds this card is IMO not an eye catcher design wise. Just a personal opinion that for the price there are much cooler cards with a more 90's insert feel; that year of the hitting machine was just so bland.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Those are great questions; wish I knew how many cases/hitting machine GMs were printed as it would provide valuable benchmarking and pricing information. Maybe someone on this forum has some case production information for Ultra that year.

Regarding the design, I thoroughly enjoy the look of the 1996 Hitting Machines

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Back in the 1990s, there was a huge difference between "tough" and "rare." The 1996 Hitting Machine Gold Medallions were incredibly tough (1:2300 packs or 1 per 100 hobby boxes). Those are astronomical odds to pull one. Imagine having to open 100 boxes today for a hit. But in 1996, there were also much more boxes produced. So I wouldn't be surprised if there were several hundred of each Hitting Machine GM card. On the flipside, you have the 1996 Ultra Thunderclap Gold Medallions, which were tough (1:720) but were retail only. There were much less retail boxes produced (20% of the hobby boxes). So if we did the math, the Hitting Machines GM would be much tougher to pull than the Thunderclaps, but the Thunderclaps would be about twice as rare as the Hitting Machines. It makes sense looking at sales history. Not a lot of Thunderclap GMs compared to Hitting Machine.

Now this could be completely biased, because my Hitting Machine GM has sold and my Thunderclap hasn't. So take it all with a grain of salt.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Earlier tonight I was looking at my Griffey box (800 count) and was putting the auto's on one side and the base cards and game used on the other..

Here's the box..

griffey-box.jpg

and came across these two.. I didn't even know I had them.. :benson:

1998 Pinnacle Select Bonus #7 /50
98-pinnacle-5star.jpg

and this one..

96-ultra-gold.jpg

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Some recent pick ups :)

96 Ultra Big Three.jpg

The Big Three 1996 Ultra Gold Medallions. The GM HR King I picked up from eBay, [MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION] will recognize his GM Thunderclap and the GM Hitting Machine is from another forum member.

98 Griffey Cooperstown Bound.jpg

1998 Pacific Paramount Cooperstown Bound Proof # 6 / 20. A HUGE "THANK YOU" to [MENTION=12890]ThunderFan25[/MENTION] for a great deal.

Griffey Fleer Traditions.JPG

1999 Fleer Traditions Date With Destiny # 75/100. (Sorry for the picture being sideways. Was unable to post it right side up.) Bought off of eBay.

Attachments

• Griffey Fleer Traditions.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 36
  • Griffey Fleer Traditions.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 38

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Some recent pick ups :)

View attachment 60685

The Big Three 1996 Ultra Gold Medallions. The GM HR King I picked up from eBay, @Hawk8 will recognize his GM Thunderclap and the GM Hitting Machine is from another forum member.

View attachment 60686

1998 Pacific Paramount Cooperstown Bound Proof # 6 / 20. A HUGE "THANK YOU" to @ThunderFan25 for a great deal.

View attachment 60689

1999 Fleer Traditions Date With Destiny # 75/100. (Sorry for the picture being sideways. Was unable to post it right side up.) Bought off of eBay.

Awesome pick ups!

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I am going fishing with a few Griffeys while his stuff is hot..

The Gold Medallion Hitting Machine, the Pinnacle 5 Star Bonus, and a Dual Auto of Mantle/Griffey..

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
I am going fishing with a few Griffeys while his stuff is hot..

The Gold Medallion Hitting Machine, the Pinnacle 5 Star Bonus, and a Dual Auto of Mantle/Griffey..

Best of luck with the sales - hopefully you'll get some good offers.

I got it - been a tough "hole" to fill.

Also glad it went to a Griffey guy, especially one who's been around since the beginning of this thread!

viper

Dec 12, 2015
Ohio
Best of luck with the sales - hopefully you'll get some good offers.

Also glad it went to a Griffey guy, especially one who's been around since the beginning of this thread!

Agreed. Good Luck with those cards @ Pinbreaker

Thanks [MENTION=5764]MadHandle11[/MENTION]. I had to do some serious butt kissing and a promise of a shopping trip on Tiffany's for the wife. ;)

[MENTION=10405]Hawk8[/MENTION] The GM is settling in nicely and I love the look of the big 3 Ultra GM all together.

Thanks again [MENTION=11259]tidel144[/MENTION] for pointing out the eBay sales on my wanted list. Much appreciated.

Members online

Latest posts