Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Pick Up Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Love that!!!

Same here, Brian. Love how it's personalized and the fountain pen is too cool, looks great on the 40 PB's. Straight steal too, $51+s&h....I was willing to pay more than double that!

And no mail today :( Looks like it will be here tomorrow...

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
$51 for signed vintage? I'll take that all day

Amen to that....especially if you consider I didn't pay less than $75 for any of my other 3.

Nice addition Chucky!!!!! Looking forward to the mail day!
DANNY
Many thanks Danny :) Mailday is a couple days late but here it is:

20170323_171804_zpsrjcjoaqx.jpg

Some nice higher grade OC raw vintage, couldn't turn these down for like $6 (combined shipping) to go along with this beauty:

20170323_171140_zps3gydgrjf.jpg

:D

Was kind of surprised that this is my first Lefty Grove. Great eye appeal, and it's a real sharp '4'. This was kid of a spur of the moment purchase as I wasn't really looking to get a Lefty Grove card of any sort but I saw it up for auction and I had to have it.

Thanks for looking,

-Scott (Chuck)

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
39 Play Ball Arndt Jargons
51 Bowman Tom Ferrick (purchased) autograph
56 Topps Joe Collins PSA/DNA (purchased) autograph

DANNY

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Thanks Zan! One day this month I'm going to scan the whole Phillies type set and start a thread- post by the decade starting with the 1880's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA

Nice!! Too cool....fantastic looking 3's. I know in my team set Harry Lord has a blue background and a pastel background, but I've yet to see a pastel version for sale.

Thanks Zan! One day this month I'm going to scan the whole Phillies type set and start a thread- post by the decade starting with the 1880's
Can't wait!

[MENTION=1995]dano7[/MENTION] - Nice! 3 to go :D

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Been exploring the idea of getting into vintage a bit. My first toe in the vintage waters...

Hornsby 1921 Exhibits SGC 40 VG 3.jpg

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Been exploring the idea of getting into vintage a bit. My first toe in the vintage waters...

View attachment 68821

Be wary of those waters, as that toe does not make a descent onto ocean floor but instead a steep dropoff several thousand fathoms under the sea. Don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

VERY nice first pickup. Beautiful card of one of the greatest of all time. The older Exhibits probably have the nicest photography out of any prewar set, and they are affordable which is a bonus. Is that the set you decided on? If so great choice, as those will look great on display as you start accumulating more of them. If you're still undecided I would throw out a few suggestions like any of the American Caramel sets: E92, E95, E120, E121, etc.; M101-4/5 is a great set but a few cards would be unobtainable due to cost; maybe 1934 Goudey due to set size, players, and ease of availability (see my Lefty Grove above ;) ); or even 1936 Goudey [R322] would be a great starter set, only 25 cards and very cheap to put together and nice photography (see my Ferrell below)...or 1936 Goudey Wide Pens [R314] if you want a bigger player checklist (120 cards), those are oversized like your 1921 Exhibit, very inexpensive with some great names. I would steer you away from tobacco sets like: T204, T205, T206, T207, etc...due to set size and cost on those [$$$], even though they are great looking cards. I would only recommend those if you were player/team collecting, not set collecting.

Anyways if you ever have any questions feel free to ask me (or any of the other guys on the Vintage Thread) we'll be glad to help you out as best we can. Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay! :)

-Scott

36goudeyrffront.jpg
36goudeyrfback.jpg

[Example of 36' Goudey (R322). HOFers: Greenberg, Cochrane, Ferrell, Cuyler, Gomez, Klein, Waner]

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts