Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's your "baseball card mystery"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
OK - believe this to be the other player on the the Frank Thomas card.

Vince Campbell of the University of North Carolina-Wilmington.

The colors of his uniform are consistent with UNCW's school colors (green, yellow, teal).

UNCW played Auburn in baseball on March 8 and 9, 1989.

The other player on the card appears to be black which helps narrow the candidates, as most college teams of that era (and today) are predominantly white.

The player in question is of a slighter build and height especially compared to Frank Thomas.

From the Topps card we can see what appears to be a moustache sported by the player in question.

The only black player pictured in the 1989 UNCW baseball media guide fits all the parameters.

Vince Campbell was a 5'9 165 lbs freshman OF with a distinct moustache.

Believe we have our man.

uncw_zpskffkscr1.jpg

uncw2_zpsf3u4wsa4.jpg

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
How many 1997 Pinnacle Mirror Black cards made their way into packs?
Print run of 1997 Finest Gold Die-Cut Embossed Refractors--thought to be around 35 but who knows?
1998 Totally Certified Platinum blues, I have seen cards 1-10 in gold but only one example of a blue.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
One of my 2002 Topps Own the Game Jim Thome cards, #6 , has a snowflake in the top lefthand corner on the front of the card. My other copies of this card don't, and some other cards in this insert set don't either. Anybody know why? Thanks.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
How many 1997 Pinnacle Mirror Black cards made their way into packs?
Print run of 1997 Finest Gold Die-Cut Embossed Refractors--thought to be around 35 but who knows?
1998 Totally Certified Platinum blues, I have seen cards 1-10 in gold but only one example of a blue.

Those are mine to the T

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
One of my 2002 Topps Own the Game Jim Thome cards, #6 , has a snowflake in the top lefthand corner on the front of the card. My other copies of this card don't, and some other cards in this insert set don't either. Anybody know why? Thanks.

Could that just be foil degradation? On some of my hologram/holofoil type cards they've developed spots that look like snowflakes. I'd consider it severe damage. 2009 UD Spectrum is especially bad...here's an example from COMC:

John-Lackey.jpg

Not sure what causes it or how to stop it.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
With all of the Jim Rice jersey cards produced since 2001, why does he not have a single button card?
Where are all of the buttons? Thrown away? In a container somewhere?

EricTownsend88

Jun 13, 2014
Ok here's mine. I believe the year is 2005. I go into a my local card shop & see an older gentlemen busting open a case of the new baseball product that just came out. I am from Delaware where card shops are very few and far between & this shop is really the only shop the serious "big time" collectors go to. Everyone there knew each other on a first name basis & on Wednesday's when the owner got a new shipment in all the big time guys would be there opening their cases in the store. At 18 years old I was lucky if I bought a box a week so I was nowhere near these guys but never the less they all liked me & I think thoroughly enjoyed interacting with a youngster who had a serious passion about cards and knew just as much about the hobby as they did. Fresh out of high school I would go into the shop two times a week to watch the guys rip open boxes & I never missed a Wednesday. I would usually buy all their Cleveland Indians base (or they'd just give them to me) and if they pulled a game used card that wasn't out of my price range I'd buy it off them too. Anyways I am rambling on here. One Wednesday I go in and see the familiar faces plus this older gentlemen I've never seen before. He asked if I would assist him in opening some packs, saying perhaps I would bring him good luck on finding the card he was looking for. He had been busting boxes all day with no luck.

So the card he was looking for? I was wondering who was in this product. Babe Ruth? Ty Cobb? Ted Williams? Lou Gehrig? Nope...the autograph he was in search for - Spook Jacobs. Who is Spook Jacobs? I'll forgive you for not knowing. He spent three years in the big leagues, playing for three different teams. He played in exactly 188 career games, totaling 757 plate appearances with a career triple slash line of .247/.329/.274 with exactly zero home runs and was not known for being a defensive whiz by any means.

So here is my "baseball card mystery" A.) What product was this? I can't find it anywhere online. I'm 99.9% sure this was in 2005. And B.) If I remember correctly there were only a few autographs in this set and every other player other then Spook Jacobs was a house hold name Hall of Fame player. So why in the world was Spook Jacobs included in this set? It's just about the most random thing in the world to me. I've always been curious as hell about this but could never find any information about it. I just can not wrap my mind around it. :?:

Also - I would find out later that day - the older gentlemen who asked if I wanted to rip some packs with him - Spook Jacobs. He is from Delaware and I didn't even know who the heck he was. This opens up a whole new can of worms in my brain - why did Mr. Jacobs spent $1,500 on a case of cards to try and get his own autograph?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Ok here's mine. I believe the year is 2005. I go into a my local card shop & see an older gentlemen busting open a case of the new baseball product that just came out. I am from Delaware where card shops are very few and far between & this shop is really the only shop the serious "big time" collectors go to. Everyone there knew each other on a first name basis & on Wednesday's when the owner got a new shipment in all the big time guys would be there opening their cases in the store. At 18 years old I was lucky if I bought a box a week so I was nowhere near these guys but never the less they all liked me & I think thoroughly enjoyed interacting with a youngster who had a serious passion about cards and knew just as much about the hobby as they did. Fresh out of high school I would go into the shop two times a week to watch the guys rip open boxes & I never missed a Wednesday. I would usually buy all their Cleveland Indians base (or they'd just give them to me) and if they pulled a game used card that wasn't out of my price range I'd buy it off them too. Anyways I am rambling on here. One Wednesday I go in and see the familiar faces plus this older gentlemen I've never seen before. He asked if I would assist him in opening some packs, saying perhaps I would bring him good luck on finding the card he was looking for. He had been busting boxes all day with no luck.

So the card he was looking for? I was wondering who was in this product. Babe Ruth? Ty Cobb? Ted Williams? Lou Gehrig? Nope...the autograph he was in search for - Spook Jacobs. Who is Spook Jacobs? I'll forgive you for not knowing. He spent three years in the big leagues, playing for three different teams. He played in exactly 188 career games, totaling 757 plate appearances with a career triple slash line of .247/.329/.274 with exactly zero home runs and was not known for being a defensive whiz by any means.

So here is my "baseball card mystery" A.) What product was this? I can't find it anywhere online. I'm 99.9% sure this was in 2005. And B.) If I remember correctly there were only a few autographs in this set and every other player other then Spook Jacobs was a house hold name Hall of Fame player. So why in the world was Spook Jacobs included in this set? It's just about the most random thing in the world to me. I've always been curious as hell about this but could never find any information about it. I just can not wrap my mind around it. :?:

Also - I would find out later that day - the older gentlemen who asked if I wanted to rip some packs with him - Spook Jacobs. He is from Delaware and I didn't even know who the heck he was. This opens up a whole new can of worms in my brain - why did Mr. Jacobs spent $1,500 on a case of cards to try and get his own autograph?

The only autographs he has around that time frame were his 2005 Topps Heritage Real One Autograph - which has mostly duds and some great players like Aaron and Banks in the set - and 2006 Diamond Signatures, which I had never heard of. The Beckett description for the set:

Some cards were also issued with signatures in case replacements were needed. We are showing one of the cards without a signature. The set was issued from the Philadelphia A's society at a price point of $299 for the complete signed set.

Pretty terrible description...was it issued in packs as well or just the complete $300 set? If it was just the set he'd obviously get a card of himself right away. There's 45 autographed cards and the checklist is pretty woeful...the only HOFers are Bobby Doerr, George Kell, and Whitey Herzog.

If it was Heritage you helped him rip, he would have been a lot better off finding somebody to buy the card for him online, current "book value" is $25.

Spook Jacobs' only other Beckett-listed autograph is out of 2009 Tristar Obak so it doesn't fit your timeline.

EricTownsend88

Jun 13, 2014
The only autographs he has around that time frame were his 2005 Topps Heritage Real One Autograph - which has mostly duds and some great players like Aaron and Banks in the set - and 2006 Diamond Signatures, which I had never heard of. The Beckett description for the set:

Some cards were also issued with signatures in case replacements were needed. We are showing one of the cards without a signature. The set was issued from the Philadelphia A's society at a price point of $299 for the complete signed set.

Pretty terrible description...was it issued in packs as well or just the complete $300 set? If it was just the set he'd obviously get a card of himself right away. There's 45 autographed cards and the checklist is pretty woeful...the only HOFers are Bobby Doerr, George Kell, and Whitey Herzog.

If it was Heritage you helped him rip, he would have been a lot better off finding somebody to buy the card for him online, current "book value" is $25.

Spook Jacobs' only other Beckett-listed autograph is out of 2009 Tristar Obak so it doesn't fit your timeline.

Dude you are amazing! After doing a google search on what 2005 Topps Heritage looks like that is defiantly the product I helped him open. Thanks for the info I've been curious about it for some time! Now I just need to figure out why he was included & why he spent $1,500 trying to get his own autograph lol.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Dude you are amazing! After doing a google search on what 2005 Topps Heritage looks like that is defiantly the product I helped him open. Thanks for the info I've been curious about it for some time! Now I just need to figure out why he was included & why he spent $1,500 trying to get his own autograph lol.

Not amazing, I just searched the Beckett website for 5 seconds, ha.

There were only 200 of the autographed card made so he would have been unlikely to find it going from shop to shop, and being 79 years old at the time he was probably not very internet-savvy. I guess he just figured the only way to obtain one would be to pull it from a box. You'd like to think if that's what the shop owner knew he was doing, he would have offered to find him one online and sell it to him rather than selling $1,000+ in unopened product he was extremely unlikely to pull that one card from to an old man. But I don't know the whole situation.

Regarding why he would have an autographed card in 2005 Heritage, generally Heritage autographs of retired players have been a mix of top names with some lesser-known guys who had cards in the original set that year's Heritage cards are designed after...there are dozens of Spook Jacobs-type guys who had had autographs in Heritage over the years.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Could that just be foil degradation? On some of my hologram/holofoil type cards they've developed spots that look like snowflakes. I'd consider it severe damage. 2009 UD Spectrum is especially bad...here's an example from COMC:

John-Lackey.jpg

Not sure what causes it or how to stop it.

I've never heard of foil degradation but thats got to be it. The Thome card has been like that for quite a while. The snowflake in the bottom left hand corner of the Lackey card looks a lot like the one on the Thome card. Glad I have 2 extra's of that card with no snowflake's, but I guess it's just a matter of time. I checked my 2009 Spectrum /99 Thome card and it's not snowing on there, yet. Thanks for the info.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
How exactly were the 86 donruss highlights white letters error cards packed?

In other words, when someone found one, was it one card in the set? Five? 10? The entire set?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
How exactly were the 86 donruss highlights white letters error cards packed?

In other words, when someone found one, was it one card in the set? Five? 10? The entire set?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I have heard entire set, but have been unable to confirm.

Members online

Latest posts