Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay buyers rarely leave feedback anymore it seems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've noticed that when I sell cards, video games or anything on eBay, the percentage of buyers who leave feedback has dropped dramatically over the years.

I've changed nothing and always ship the next day, and usually offer free shipping.
I also still have 100% feedback in the 18 years I've been on eBay.

But buyers just don't leave feedback much anymore. I don't need positive feedback from everyone, and I've never asked for it, but it just makes me wonder if customers are satisfied when they don't do it.

Anyone else notice fewer feedback from buyers, or am I just crazy?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I always leave feedback, whether I'm the buyer or the seller. Sometimes it takes me a while, and I end up having leave 20 at a time, but I always leave it. Barely half of my recent sales have given me feedback.

Juanlasttime

Apr 9, 2016
North east Pa
I've noticed that when I sell cards, video games or anything on eBay, the percentage of buyers who leave feedback has dropped dramatically over the years.

I've changed nothing and always ship the next day, and usually offer free shipping.
I also still have 100% feedback in the 18 years I've been on eBay.

But buyers just don't leave feedback much anymore. I don't need positive feedback from everyone, and I've never asked for it, but it just makes me wonder if customers are satisfied when they don't do it.

Anyone else notice fewer feedback from buyers, or am I just crazy?

Funny someone should bring this up... I do not sell on eBay at all... I just buy Juan Gonzalez items for my PC... I always leave feedback AFTER the seller leaves feedback for me...

Here's my reasoning... Most sellers only leave feedback after it's been left for them... I feel once the item has been paid for feedback should be left for the buyer since after payment is made the buyers job is done... I can't tell you how many times I've left feedback for sellers to never get feedback left for me...

Kevin

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As a seller, I always leave positive feedback as soon as the buyer pays, which they usually do immediately after hitting the Buy it Now. None of this holding positive feedback for ransom crap.

As a buyer, I leave feedback as soon as I get the card and I'm satisfied.

I don't understand why people wait to leave feedback, or don't give it at all. It just seems like common courtesy, like saying thank you to the cashier or salesperson at a store.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I always leave feedback, whether I'm the buyer or the seller. Sometimes it takes me a while, and I end up having leave 20 at a time, but I always leave it. Barely half of my recent sales have given me feedback.
This is what I do. About once a month I get around to it when I inventory and tag items coming in, leaving feedback in the process when I'm checking the item # and final cost to me. (I use this come tax time for sales and P/L)

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I have noticed buyers seldom leave feedback anymore as well. As for when I sell something I do leave positive feedback for the buyer but i wait now. I used to leave it immediately after I sold and it was paid for but in the past year I have had multiple BS buyers who were shady and worthless POS. I left them positive feedback right away and then they proceeded to extort money/items from me. At that point I was left with no recourse. IMO eBay really screws the seller by forcing them to either leave no feedback or positive.

Now, I am happy to leave positive feedback but not until I receive it from the buyer. I feel like it is my only way to CYA.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is exactly how I buy/feedback. If a seller doesn't leave it in a timely manner, then I move on. Sometimes a seller will leave feedback weeks after I have purchased an item. If I happen to notice, I will reciprocate, but I don't go back to old purchases checking to see if I finally got feedback.

If a seller doesn't leave it once I paid, then they need to rethink how they deal with feedbacj
Funny someone should bring this up... I do not sell on eBay at all... I just buy Juan Gonzalez items for my PC... I always leave feedback AFTER the seller leaves feedback for me...

Here's my reasoning... Most sellers only leave feedback after it's been left for them... I feel once the item has been paid for feedback should be left for the buyer since after payment is made the buyers job is done... I can't tell you how many times I've left feedback for sellers to never get feedback left for me...

Kevin

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
as a buyer , i try to leave feedback on all items as i receive them , though i admitedly fell behind after my fire left me without my own fully inhabitable home last spring.....

as for my policy as a seller , i have this stated in each of my listings :

I do NOT require a buyer to leave feedback for me , but I do ask that buyers let me know they have received their package and are satisfied by EITHER posting accurate feedback or E-mailing me using the Contact Seller link on E-Bay . Once I know everything is OK , I will post feedback . My simple reason for this policy : If a buyer is not satisfied then my job is not yet done . Only when my buyer is satisfied is my responsibility fulfilled ; therefore , my feedback is the final seal on the deal . If there is any problem , please contact me so we can devise a solution to ensure mutual satisfaction .

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You have and nobody ever changes their ways, so nothing ever changes as a result.

The thing a seller needs to understand, regardless of how they feel is that they need feedback more than a buyer does. If it is important, then they will do what it takes to get the highest percentage of feedback return. Sellers who simply expect buyers to leave it first will miss out on a great deal of them, period.

See you again in 10 years on the same thread?

I feel like I've been reading this same post since 2003.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The thing a seller needs to understand, regardless of how they feel is that they need feedback more than a buyer does. If it is important, then they will do what it takes to get the highest percentage of feedback return. Sellers who simply expect buyers to leave it first will miss out on a great deal of them, period.
But as seller, I do leave positive feedback first. As soon as their Paypal goes through, before I even ship the item.
And I have still noticed a gradual drop in buyers' feedback over the years, despite doing the same thing since 1998.

Up until a couple of years ago, the vast majority of buyers used to leave feedback. Now it's less than 50%, so it's not the same complaint from years ago.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal. I still have 100% feedback from the 800+ people who have left it.
As my original post shows, it was just a curious observation, not an angry complaint.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
just a quick fwiw ....

not sure if they scrapped the plan completely or simply delayed it , but some time late last spring or early last summer ebay announced they were going to be phasing out feedback and simply (if any change ebay has done for the sake of simplification in the past decade has actually simplified anything) having seller ratings based soley on the automatic criteria they use for the DSR's now ......since seeing the initial announcement about this last year i haven't heard anything else about it so maybe it WAS scrapped completely or maybe - just maybe - it's another "slow rollout" as they like to call it when they use a hefty percentage of users as their guinea pigs....

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I will add that some time back, the feedback tool for buyers seems to have broken, at least for me. I used to leave 25 at a time, but it became painfully slow to do that and the pages would take forever to load! Now I just go in and leave one for each package that arrives. If I bought 40 cards from one seller, they only get one feedback, BUT that is all that ****s towards their grand total of unique feedback anyway. If ebay made it easier to leave feedback for buyers, then I bet more would again.

Also, not a seller, but they must have some sort of tool to make it easy to bulk feedback, because I am pretty sure the guys I buy a ton of singles from don't individually or even "small batch" leave me 100s of feedback at a time.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I leave feedback for the seller when I get the item and I leave feedback for the buyer when I see that the item has been delivered..
Me as well. If the buyer screws me over, and it wasn't my fault, I can leave a comment telling other buyer/sellers what he did.

Latest posts