Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay DSR's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
How do you score a seller's DSR's?

For example, what constitutes 5/5 communication versus 3/5? If the seller completes ebay's checkout, marks the item as shipped, then leaves feedback is that enough to get 5/5? It's all they're required to do after all. What about if the seller sends additional "Thank you for your business" messages, postal tracking messages, etc?

In terms of speed of shipping, I go by the postmark and not how long the item actually takes to arrive. If it's postmarked within a couple of business days of my payment, I give the seller a 5/5.

What got me thinking of the DSR question is a card I received today. The auction ended at night and I sent payment the next morning, January 20. Two weeks go by and I get no communication other than the usual "you've sent a payment" messages from PayPal and ebay. The card was never marked as "shipped".

What guidelines do others have regarding how they score seller DSR's?

- Rodrick

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
If I get the card intact and in a decent timeframe, I give all fives. If I dont get the card, but have good communication with the seller, and even if I get refunded, I'll still give five stars. The only time I ding anyone is if I dont get the card and the seller doesnt communicate at all. This just happened last year.

Otherwise, I'm generous with my stars :)

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
How much was the card? How much was the cost of shipping?

If a card is delivered to me within a reasonable time, then I have no problems giving 5 stars..

Did you take into account that there was a holiday so the post office was closed?
Did you take into consideration that the weather was crappy, so the post office was shut down in some areas?
Did the card come from the US or did it come from Canada?

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I dont have the time to over analyze the star system therefore its 5 across the board every time unless the seller is a POS
You packaged my item and mailed it and it got to me in one piece, 5 5 5 5

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
The only time I ding is if it takes like a week to ship or the seller is making like $2+ via overcharging on shipping. I never really even think about communication and have never really had an issue with item not as described.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Shipping DSRs. Knowing that one can easily ship a card or two in a bubble mailer for less than $2.75, if you charge $2.75 or less for a card or small lot, I'll give you 5 stars. 4 stars if $3.00, 3 stars if $3.25-3.50, etc.

Shipping speed - 1-3 USPS days 5 stars, 4-7 or so days 4 stars, two-three weeks 3 stars, a month 1-2 stars because I shouldn't have to send you an shipping inquiry mail to get you off your lazy bum to mail my auction winnings.

communication - 5 stars unless I have to email you at least twice about shipping inquiry after 3 wks of waiting for item to be marked shipped or item not received with no tracking info and seller gives absolutely no response to the emails. Respond back and it's 5 stars because that means you don't have me on ignore.

Item description - 5 stars unless it's the wrong item sent or there is a flaw a seller didn't disclose in the item description or provide a good enough scan to find the flaw if it is able to show up in a
scan.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Shipping DSRs. Knowing that one can easily ship a card or two in a bubble mailer for less than $2.75, if you charge $2.75 or less for a card or small lot, I'll give you 5 stars. 4 stars if $3.00, 3 stars if $3.25-3.50, etc. .

I always leave 5-star shipping. If I bid on the auction I agreed to the shipping rate described in the listing. I have ran across high shipping prices and I will often message the seller to ask clarification about shipping methods and what I should expect for the higher than normal price.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I always leave 5-star shipping. If I bid on the auction I agreed to the shipping rate described in the listing. I have ran across high shipping prices and I will often message the seller to ask clarification about shipping methods and what I should expect for the higher than normal price.

....agreed.....

It costs $1.93 now just for shipping one card in a padded mailer with DC (up to 3 oz). I have no issues paying $3 +/- when factoring in a seller's cost of materials as well. I just factor the added cost of the shipping into my bid.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
....agreed.....

It costs $1.93 now just for shipping one card in a padded mailer with DC (up to 3 oz). I have no issues paying $3 +/- when factoring in a seller's cost of materials as well. I just factor the added cost of the shipping into my bid.

I just can't see dinging someone for something that I agreed too.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Shipping DSRs. Knowing that one can easily ship a card or two in a bubble mailer for less than $2.75, if you charge $2.75 or less for a card or small lot, I'll give you 5 stars. 4 stars if $3.00, 3 stars if $3.25-3.50, etc.

Are you factoring in the latest postal increases? My shipping went from $2.97 to $3.23 due to them. So I changed my shipping price from $3 to $3.50. As long as the shipping on the package is close to what is being charged, that warrants a 5 star for me.

Lowry

Jan 15, 2013
McAllen, TX
Are you factoring in the latest postal increases? My shipping went from $2.97 to $3.23 due to them. So I changed my shipping price from $3 to $3.50. As long as the shipping on the package is close to what is being charged, that warrants a 5 star for me.
$3.23 seems a little high; can you show your breakdown?

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
As a seller with the recent postage changes all my shipping costs went from $2.25 to $2.75 per package. I ship all cards in bubble mailers and toploaders. This price is for 1-2 regular cards or 1 thick card.

I agree with what another poster said, you agree to the shipping when you place your bid. If it seems outrageous, like some sellers charge $4-6 bucks for standard shipping, don't bid, or factor it into the highest you are willing to bid.

As a buyer, anything over $3.00 for shipping, imo, is to high and will factor in how much I am willing to spend.

I will leave 5 stars for all transactions I have unless there is an issue. As a seller I would expect the same. The only reason I would drop to 4 stars would have to be because the shipping time took to long. Anything over 7 business days is too long.

Sent from my BOOMSTICK!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Are you factoring in the latest postal increases? My shipping went from $2.97 to $3.23 due to them..

yes, I factored it in. I've run the costs on some types of shipments (and seen lots of reports from people who have mentioned what the new shipping rate through paypal shipping is).

If you are paying $3.23, you are not using paypal shipping to ship 1 oz bubble mailers for under $2 and instead are having your postage cost inflated because you are paying full price for tracking (instead of reduced or free price of tracking with paypal shipping) and you are in the 1980's by going to the postal counter to mail your bubble mailer instead of the 2014's use of paypal shipping where you get a discount for printing your own label and printing postage online and all you have to do is put the mailer in your neighborhood collection box or hand it to your carrier.

Last edited:

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
I've been charging $3 for shipping no matter how many auctions won. It used to cost me $2.97 for 1 card with tracking (not counting the cost of the mailer). Now it's costing me $3.37 for the same......AND I still get dinged on shipping since everyone thinks S/H should be free.

Lowry

Jan 15, 2013
McAllen, TX
I've been charging $3 for shipping no matter how many auctions won. It used to cost me $2.97 for 1 card with tracking (not counting the cost of the mailer). Now it's costing me $3.37 for the same......AND I still get dinged on shipping since everyone thinks S/H should be free.
I would venture to guess you're still getting dinged because you can ship for much cheaper than the costs you are stating.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
$3.23 seems a little high; can you show your breakdown?

Everything gets sent in a penny sleeve, top loader, and inbetween 2 index cards in a bubble mailer. For stuff that is too thick to get into a regular sized top loader, I'll put it in a team bag inbetween 2 filler cards and then that inbetween 2 index cards and in the bubble mailer.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
yes, I factored it in. I've run the costs on some types of shipments (and seen lots of reports from people who have mentioned what the new shipping rate through paypal shipping is).

If you are paying $3.23, you are not using paypal shipping to ship 1 oz bubble mailers for under $2 and instead are having your postage cost inflated because you are paying full price for tracking (instead of reduced or free price of tracking with paypal shipping) and you are in the 1980's by going to the postal counter to mail your bubble mailer instead of the 2014's use of paypal shipping where you get a discount for printing your own label and printing postage online and all you have to do is put the mailer in your neighborhood collection box or hand it to your carrier.

Wow that's one long sentence. Obviously you didn't grow up in the 1980's so you don't know how cool of times it was with big hair, Trans Am cars, and orange parachute pants.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

That sentence is as accurate as it is long. I have no idea why some people insist on wasting $1+ to ship at the post office. If you don't have a printer, buy one...they're cheap and they'll pay for themselves after enough auctions. It's cheaper AND you don't have to make a trip to the oh so pleasant post office. You save on both cost and convenience. I'd pay MORE to use paypal shipping than I would to go to the post office (just don't tell them that).

Plus you're costing yourself money on auction income...if I'm willing to pay $20 for a card, I'm willing to pay $20. That's $17.50 plus $2.50 shipping, or $16.50 plus $3.50 shipping. It makes no difference to me. But using the higher cost shipping, you're getting $1 less of my money.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Wow that's one long sentence. Obviously you didn't grow up in the 1980's so you don't know how cool of times it was with big hair, Trans Am cars, and orange parachute pants.

in the 1980's, I aged from 9 at the beginning of the decade to 18 as the decade closed. There was no widely available internet and thus not a lot of things technological that made life quick and cheaper to ship USPS. I figure if one mails their item at a postal service counter on a routine basis in 2014, one is a grandma or grandpa because one isn't using today's USPS-approved technology to mail smarter and cheaper. That person might as well also grocery shop and pay for it with a personal check just like all the old people do in front of you at the cashier line.

The only reason I see to visit a USPS retail counter is because the postal regulations require it to mail some things. I know there are some things because I've read part of the DMM but I haven't personally been effected by those few items yet. It's best to avoid the gas, time at a retail counter and extra costs of interacting with a USPS clerk by printing my own shipping with tracking labels, print my own postage through the Paypal/USPS site, and mail it in my neighborhood box or hand it to my carrier. Obviously a lot of people on FCB are doing that because they are mailing their 1 oz bubble mailers for under $2, whereas I gave a breakdown supported by a "calculate prices" simulation I've done on the USPS website this morning of how a 1 oz bubble mailer can cost $3.23 to ship.

Members online