Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where were these pictures taken?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
First card is a 2003 Topps Bazooka of Joey Gomes, second card is a 2002 Bowman of his brother, Jonny Gomes. Some sort of developmental league? Neither player had made it to the majors at that point, but they're both in Tampa Bay Devil Rays uniforms. I don't think they're from a fall league, either, since I think 2003 was the first time Jonny Gomes did that.

Anyone have an idea? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Jonny_Gomes.jpg

f-6587.jpg
b-6587.jpg

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
My bet is Rookie Ball with the Princeton Rays. Topps may have done some photoshop with the logo since Princeton had a little different from the ML club.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
That's a good thought, though I don't think they're photoshopped Princeton jerseys. For one thing, you can make out the hint of Jonny Gomes's name and number on the back of his card; Princeton jerseys didn't have names on the back, and the one on the card looks similar to the below Tampa jersey. (I've also seen another same style Gomes jersey that is number #60 ). I'm also not sure that Princeton had green jerseys; they had a white home and black alt, not sure what the road color was in 2001.

http://www.gamewornuniforms.com/catalog/jonnygomes-pi-5276.php

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I can't answer the question definitely, but I when I see pics like that, I think that it could be a backfield at spring training where minor leaguers might get a lot of their work/scrimmaging done. Look at the no-frills chain-link fence instead of netting and the simplicity of player benches out in the weather and not in a covered concrete structure.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I worked at Topps in 2002 and can tell you definitively that those are spring training photos. All players in the organization wear the big league logo at ST.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Looks like typical Gulf Coast League action. If not, probably extended spring training.

I don't even think they are from extended ST, but just ST. Most teams divide their ST into at least two camps: AA-majors (people who have a shot at making the club) and rooks-A (no realistic shot yet). These photos likely come from game action duing the latter.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
[MENTION=1954]Mighty Bombjack[/MENTION] that's great information, thanks! Exactly whati wanted to know. Do you know where or who Topps would get the photographs from?

Also, anyone know how to figure out what a player's spring training number was?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
@Mighty Bombjack that's great information, thanks! Exactly whati wanted to know. Do you know where or who Topps would get the photographs from?

Also, anyone know how to figure out what a player's spring training number was?

We had photographers that worked for us, and they would go around to each team and try to get every player in both game action and a staged shot (like the back of the Bowman card in the OP). Topps actually sent me down to Florida for spring training in 2002 so I could see how Topps had their photographers cover teams. It was fun.

Members online