Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

===== Pay-It-Forward Discussion ========

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The issue with a lot like this is it is a number of different players from different teams, which makes it a bit less likely to be claimed.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The issue with a lot like this is it is a number of different players from different teams, which makes it a bit less likely to be claimed.

I am at work but mightttttttttttttttttt take it if no one jumps on it... I would probably just put the three refractors up in the free-to-go-home thread, which I've been active on!

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I am at work but mightttttttttttttttttt take it if no one jumps on it... I would probably just put the three refractors up in the free-to-go-home thread, which I've been active on!
Either way, if they aren't gone by tomorrow i will switch it up.

Just added another card to the lot.

Last edited:

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I'll take the refractors if you are going to put them in the free to a good home thread. It's funny, I wanted them, but not the other stuff Krom listed, so I've left it alone.

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
I think the "themed" (teams, players, type of inserts, etc.) lots are better for keeping it moving. I had interest in the previous lot but had no interest or use for the Dodger cards.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I feel like an ass for being part of what was a fairly amazing gesture and concept from Joel. His idea, his Hank Aaron cut and I made the card. It's degenerated to what are basically card equivalents of Happy Meals.

I've considered multiple times to jump into the mix and throw in something to "prop" it back up again...but I'm assuming that it will be swapped for crap so why bother. I can give something away to a specific person and not deal with the mockery of logic.

And yes, I know I'm being negative and an *******...but it's honest and truthful too.

Posted by witchcraft, voodoo and technological kung fu.

I agree with Mike and sadly a thread like this does need set written rules (Even though its pay it forward). If its one thing i have learned in life, its that not everyone has COMMON SENSE! Infact less people than you think. I hate to say it like that but true. Its not about value but if you dont have something comparible wait it out and maybe the cards are not for you YET. People say they dont have highend card but the nice cards being posted are not million dollars cards! I think its more that people dont want to post there better stuff. You dont have to post a Highend card just something nice. Also there is a thread called "Free to a good home" check that one out. I love the concept of the thread but its just gone down hill. Hopefully with the new stuff being posted it will move in the right direction. Also instead of trying to pay it forward catering to "Player collectors" or "team Collectors" Try posting something everyone would want. Theres plenty of card to do that.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
I agree with Mike and sadly a thread like this does need set written rules (Even though its pay it forward). If its one thing i have learned in life, its that not everyone has COMMON SENSE! Infact less people than you think. I hate to say it like that but true. Its not about value but if you dont have something comparible wait it out and maybe the cards are not for you YET. People say they dont have highend card but the nice cards being posted are not million dollars cards! I think its more that people dont want to post there better stuff. You dont have to post a Highend card just something nice. Also there is a thread called "Free to a good home" check that one out. I love the concept of the thread but its just gone down hill. Hopefully with the new stuff being posted it will move in the right direction. Also instead of trying to pay it forward catering to "Player collectors" or "team Collectors" Try posting something everyone would want. Theres plenty of card to do that.

I couldn't agree with both of these comments more..........

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
I wasn't implying the thread should go on by catering to team/player collectors but in lots it makes more sense. If the thread was on the path it started on we'd see perhaps 1-3 quality cards per and then it's not even an issue.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
My original intention was to never create a rolling trade thread. It was hopefully going to start a process were people were trying to "one-up" each other and put stuff out there that was maybe even better than what they had gotten. That hasn't been the case.

I hold out hope though. Alex thew a very nice lot out just a few days ago. It's possible fellas, you just have to put the $$$ behind you and do something for your online brothers.

A_Pharis

I tried to have faith in it, but it's going to do what it has done. Value will cascade down until one person puts up something way more valuable. At the time, the cycle restarts. So many people willing to say "Gimme" but so few willing to say "I can live without a profit."

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I have put up a couple of times hoping this will jump start the thread and get people motivated. So far it doesn't seem like it's pushing hard in that direction, it is moving a little but this thread should be steam rolling already. I don't mind putting the cards up at all, I mind having to do it then watching it slow down again. Not a fan of the current lot for MY PC, but I have to say it is a great lot no doubt.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I tried to have faith in it, but it's going to do what it has done. Value will cascade down until one person puts up something way more valuable. At the time, the cycle restarts. So many people willing to say "Gimme" but so few willing to say "I can live without a profit."

Perfectly said!!!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I completely and totally agree with the posts on this page by several members. This has been a thread, except for a few posts, of people taking a nicer card/lot than they are replacing with and it has cycled downward everytime something nice has been offered.

Just a couple things I wanted to say in response:

1) The lots that are random items and don't gel together in any way are tough to claim (in my opinion) because they may not appeal to any one collector on here and many may not want to take an entire lot when there is just a piece of it they like. I think sticking to 2-3 card lots would help (quality over quantity) or larger lots that have a theme to them (all Redsox or all BC Autos, etc.) are more likely to move quickly.

2) If it's truly about pay it forward and not worrying about value or a rolling thread, then put it in the Free to A Good Home thread. I've posted a ton of stuff there. It's really Pay it Forward because no one is asking for anything in return and no one is expected to replace what they take with something else. If it's pay if forward and you just want to give something away, then just give it away, period. In addition, it doesn't have to be about value... I've gotten many thanks from people who are happy to get the stuff I've posted in the free thread. I can't think of what is more "help out your online brotha" than that. It doesn't have to be a jaw dropping gesture.

3) Too many people of the "gimmie" attitude and so few who can live without a profit = motto of this whole concept so far. Perfectly stated. Granted, there have been some who posted good stuff after taking not so good stuff, but the concept of "one uping the last post" has not taken effect... yet.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I completely and totally agree with the posts on this page by several members. This has been a thread, except for a few posts, of people taking a nicer card/lot than they are replacing with and it has cycled downward everytime something nice has been offered.

1) The lots that are random items and don't gel together in any way are tough to claim (in my opinion) because they may not appeal to any one collector on here and many may not want to take an entire lot when there is just a piece of it they like. I think sticking to 2-3 card lots would help (quality over quantity) or larger lots that have a theme to them (all Redsox or all BC Autos, etc.) are more likely to move quickly.
t.

I like the idea of a 2-3 card max as well. Not that the bigger lots aren't cool, (because they are).

Last edited:

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island

2) If it's truly about pay it forward and not worrying about value or a rolling thread, then put it in the Free to A Good Home thread. I've posted a ton of stuff there. It's really Pay it Forward because no one is asking for anything in return and no one is expected to replace what they take with something else. If it's pay if forward and you just want to give something away, then just give it away, period. In addition, it doesn't have to be about value... I've gotten many thanks from people who are happy to get the stuff I've posted in the free thread. I can't think of what is more "help out your online brotha" than that. It doesn't have to be a jaw dropping gesture.

3) Too many people of the "gimmie" attitude and so few who can live without a profit = motto of this whole concept so far. Perfectly stated. Granted, there have been some who posted good stuff after taking not so good stuff, but the concept of "one uping the last post" has not taken effect... yet.

Posted another lot. Tried to include as much value as i could. Bill if you would still like the 3 refractors i had up before i will send them out to you instead of putting them in the free to a good home thread. I know they would go to a good home.

Members online

Latest posts