Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So why did bowman chrome prospect cards die?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
What's your opinion on this?

Not too long ago, the better base bc prospect cards always sold and it was pretty common seeing several of these in the $5-$10 mark upon release.

If these cards still sold as well, Bryant would be $15 and Abreu would easily be $25...FOR BASE CARDS!

So what made the hobby decide to turn their backs on these cards?

I've had this convo before and have heard things like over production and collectors being gun shy about these cards because once/ if an auto comes out, the value dramatically drops.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Production is up a ton since we last saw this. Last was what, Strasburg in 2010? And he didn't have a chrome auto at that point, outside of a paper one in 2010 Bowman.

If production on base cards is up 100%, it's no surprise nothing is more than $5

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
To me they are still the card to have. But I'm weird. I am a collector but a collector that is hobby knowledgable so I don't consider the MLB rookie logo a true rookie. I do collect RC logo cards but I always prefer the BC card as it's the first.

The issue is I think a lot of folks buying these types of cards are your casual collector and they end up wanting the RC logo either because they don't understand the whole thing or they think it's the better card to have. And a good portion of hobby savvy collectors are after the first autos and whatnot. So that kinda leaves these cards out in the cold a bit.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Is Mr. MEM still active with his 25 card player lots?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
this is a very easy answer. The base chrome has lost value because there are now 40+ autos in each release. If they werent as many autos the base chromes would be relevant. Even if the guy has a chrome and no auto buyers are figuring they will in the next issue so why bother.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
But they were duplicating prospects since the start. Dunn has a 99 and 00 and so does Hamilton, furcal, etc.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.