Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A rant on eBay buyers with NO TACT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
You are speaking my language 100%. This is not about having a card for a particular price and the buyer wants it for lower. It is all about the buyer telling a seller what he should or should not sell his card for according to what the buyer wants and justifying it in any number of ways( the last one sold for, it's not worth anything, you need to make a profit, you're a collector not a reseller,you are the only collector of certain player, you know better than me what the card goes for, etc) The ultimate objective of the seller is to get as close to his asking price and the buyer wants to get the item for as little as possible as well. You don't care what I paid for a card, how much profit I deem worthy for me etc, and I don't care about your reasonings for getting the card for as little as possible. All I want is what I want for my item and I hope that things are a win/win for both of us. When you start TELLING ME then the loss of respect happens. I will also block you as well as when you make what I deem unreasonable offers. If I have something offered for 50.00, do you really think I will take 5.00 for it? And

mrdallas, you seem like my kind of buyer and seller who wants a positive experience from both sides and deal on fairness. If some people get upset, so be it. They will be blocked and never have to be dealt with again. Plus, I know if I block someone, it is for a good reason and if they contact me to buy something else I have then I will make an easy decision to not deal with them.

Well put Kennesaw!!!

Jun 30, 2010
In all honesty, I price my stuff that I really am not sure I want to move way high, I know it, and I do it intentionally. eBay gives me xxxx amount of free listings, it doesnt cost me to list and so I throw it out there. I figure why not let it roll and see if anyone offers a number that would make me want to move it. AND on that note, there are times when people have paid high prices because they really want a card. (Think Griffeyfan24 here. I have seen him get some INSANE prices on his stuff). Heck I have done it as a buyer and paid over market.

With that being said, I have a few buyers on eBay that have mentioned that they are player collectors and would I be willing to move on price? They even added that the last few cards have sold for signifigantly less. I have no problem with this approach, It is done in a "tactful" manner ;). I will give a response on the lines that I am in no rush to move at this time, but if it changes I will reach back out to you. Which I have done on more than one instance. I guess the whole point of this thread was me venting and wishing some people had a better "approach". It seems that lately I get more nasty buyers than good ones.

And it seems to be getting worse also. Runs hand in hand with the entitlement mentality in the world today. Anyway, I take the same approach to selling as you do. No matter what you price the item for, people will assume you are willing to take less for it, so why not price it higher and then sell it for what you really want instead of just pricing it for what you want. Then someone offers you less, you decline and then they get mad because you are inflexible.

Plus, I cannot tell you how many times I initially priced things well at auction and they did not sell. Then I priced it higher at Fixed price and the items have sometimes sold immediately. Wish I had the answers, but I don't, just do the best I can hope for positive outcome. Everyone else has their opinions about what will work or not and there are many different ways it works. What may work for you might not work for me and vice versa. Just don't tell me what I should sell my cards for just to meet your objective.

Obviously, most do not go the route of Griffey24 or VSM, but it works for them and they are taking it to the bank.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
I ran into this gem of an individual the other day:

"Why not just grow a pair and drop the price a little? You are clearly just a jew with no intention of keeping this piece, just intent on ripping someone off."

We had cordial discussions about the card for a couple of months and then this came out of nowhere. I didn't even respond to this crap -- just blocked him and moved on.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I ran into this gem of an individual the other day:

"Why not just grow a pair and drop the price a little? You are clearly just a jew with no intention of keeping this piece, just intent on ripping someone off."

We had cordial discussions about the card for a couple of months and then this came out of nowhere. I didn't even respond to this crap -- just blocked him and moved on.

Wow, what a winner. That sucks. Here was one of my recent doozies.. I have had much worse, but….

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Hello.I dont know if you know this,but Beckett values this at $25.....maybe thats why you're not selling it......some people do have half a brain to realize a non auto non serial numbered card isnt gonig to list for $250......just sayin...[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I sent him this… [/FONT]
"Just a little heads up for you item: 291328480856 JUST SAYIN'"

Probably could have left out the Just Sayin. And I should have just blocked and moved on instead of even replying but kind of sick of it. And before anyone says it IS way overpriced. I know, but with Beckham as hot as he is. who knows,
and here was the latest completed auction on this card
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Prizm-...1328480856?pt=US_Football&hash=item43d487d658

Last edited:

Members online