Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 Diamond Kings Challenge 1/1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I haven't heard of this. My DK Challenge cards are embossed but there is no numbering. I dug around and found the summary on baseballcardpedia included a reference to randomly inserting 2 1/1's into the Challenge sets.

"DK Challenge Factory Set
The first 450 collectors to send into Donruss-Playoff a complete 450 base set (not including the 50 Black & White variations) would receive a special DK Challenge factory set. Each card is embossed with a special "DK Challenge" logo and packaged in a custom, serial-numbered, box. Each set would also come with a matched set of four printing plates and two random one-of-one inserts."

http://baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/2005_Diamond_Kings

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I guess I could have looked at the ebay listing. If you click on "See Full Description" the seller has included pictures of the backs and the original box. The box contains full detail from DLP regarding the Challenge sets in general and a statement that this is the first set and that the cards are machine stamped "1/1".

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I saw those and wondered the same thing myself. I have the vaguest recollection of hearing that the very first set would be stamped 1/1 or something, but I might also be imagining it. I took a quick look yesterday for the announcement or documentation from the time, but didn't find anything, and no reference to a special 1/1 set. But yeah, need to see what makes them 1/1. I didn't recall seeing the full description thing in the original listing, but I guess it's right there.

Last edited:

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I saw those and wondered the same thing myself. I have the vaguest recollection of hearing that the very first set would be stamped 1/1 or something, but I might also be imagining it. I took a quick look yesterday for the announcement or documentation from the time, but didn't find anything, and no reference to a special 1/1 set. But yeah, need to see what makes them 1/1. I didn't recall seeing the full description thing in the original listing, but I guess it's right there.

I missed it the first time I read the listing as well. Click on the "See full item description" to see the rest.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Pay no attention to the description behind the button.

Just kidding. Neat set. Hopefully I can snag one or two. Kind of disappointed there isn't an Ozzie.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Now I see it. Looks legit.

This has been troubling me for a full day now.

Something hinky about it. But to be fair, I can't fully recall the details of the Challenge Exchange program.

It certainly could be legit.

But...

Here, I picked this up this afternoon (Mike Sweeney version) because of this very question:

DK_Challenge_2b.jpg

Notice the MLB Hologram?

Additionally, and I mentioned this to Bull last night, the font doesn't seem correct for DP during that period.

I dunno. <shrug> :confused:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

Something hinky about it. But to be fair, I can't fully recall the details of the Challenge Exchange program.

But...

Here, I picked this up this afternoon (Mike Sweeney version) because of this very question:

DK_Challenge_2b.jpg

Notice the MLB Hologram?

Additionally, and I mentioned this to Bull last night, the font doesn't seem correct for DP during that period.

The wording and the font type are the same as well as the box that it came in..
It is what it is.. you either take a chance and go for your PC guy, or you don't..

I have the Original painting from this set for Edgar and I have the base parallel 1/1 and an auto parallel (maybe more).. I think it will be nice to get this Challenge 1/1 or another one if I see one. .

edgar-oil.jpg

05-dk3.jpg

Last edited:

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
The wording and the font type are the same as well as the box that it came in..
It is what it is.. you either take a chance and go for your PC guy, or you don't..

<shrug>

Fairly easy to do this - Tanner can easily testify. Would take me about 10 minutes - mostly with the logo - to print one out. Glue is cheap.

Stamp Kits can be had for about thirty bucks.

Just sayin'.

But, as you say, one has to take your chance. We're all adults here.

I have the Original painting from this set for Edgar

Me too. But with Big Frank. <nod>

:)

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
<shrug>

Fairly easy to do this - Tanner can easily testify. Would take me about 10 minutes - mostly with the logo - to print one out. Glue is cheap.

Just sayin'.

OMG!!!!! HIYA!!!

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Collect all 28!

I think there are 26 Manny 1/1s in this set, and this might bump it to 28... Too bad too as the design of the set was pretty decent but the number and repetition of the parallels kind of killed it.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
<shrug>

Just sayin'.

I remember winning about 4 of the paintings.. 3 at minimum bid and the Edgar I only paid about $450..

I sold the other 3 and made enough profit to make my Edgar free!!

coqxxx4

Aug 7, 2008

But...

DK_Challenge_2b.jpg

Notice the MLB Hologram?

The hologram was not placed on the on the letter on the inside of the box like shown in the picture. It was actually placed on the outside of the box to seal it, you can see where it was removed from the front of the box in the ebay auction. I have set 120 of 450.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
<shrug>

Just sayin'.

Well, well. Look who washed in with the tide!

<waves>

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
The seller has 447 of these cards listed with "Challange" in the title and not one individualized picture of a back... oh, boy.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
I guess I could have looked at the ebay listing. If you click on "See Full Description" the seller has included pictures of the backs and the original box. The box contains full detail from DLP regarding the Challenge sets in general and a statement that this is the first set and that the cards are machine stamped "1/1".

The seller has 447 of these cards listed with "Challange" in the title and not one individualized picture of a back... oh, boy.
The seller could be a bit more ambitious and take pictures of the backs, but the photo does show the 1/1 stamp on 9 cards.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
To me the numbers just do not add up. On the set it states 2 1/1's in each box. That's 900 1/1's out of 450 sets?????
Also how does one person get almost a complete set of the 1/1's. I do not think John Wick could complete such an impossible task!