Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Phillies Trade Freddy Galvis and Sign Carlos Santana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Two big deals for them today.

* Freddy Galvis dealt to SD for RHP Enyel de los Santos. (Clears the way for Crawford to be their SS.)

* Carlos Santana signed to a 3 year/$60M deal. (Wonder what this means for Hoskins.)

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
LOVE the Santana signing for most teams, but where does he fit in with a bunch of (hopefully) rising hitters?

No buzz about around here yet, but I guess the Tommy Joseph experience is officially over. Hoskins to LF is the thinking.

And man, I know it's a pop hit, but "Smooth" with the guy from MB20 was a GREAT song!

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
LOVE the Santana signing for most teams, but where does he fit in with a bunch of (hopefully) rising hitters?

No buzz about around here yet, but I guess the Tommy Joseph experience is officially over. Hoskins to LF is the thinking.

And man, I know it's a pop hit, but "Smooth" with the guy from MB20 was a GREAT song!

It's a move that requires another move...an outfielder and Cesar Hernandez seem like the start of a decent package for pitching.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Do not sleep on the Phillies in the next few years. Looking forward to seeing their squad in the coming years.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Carlos Santana has been a highly underrated player these last couple years. He's never hit for a great AVG but he always puts up a high OBP and has been good for a .800+ OPS with 20-35 HR power. His strikeout and walk counts have been nearly identical too. He's put up 3+ WAR in all but one of his full seasons in the majors so he's been worth the $20 mil a year he'll receive from this contract.

I'm assuming they'll be moving Hoskins to the outfield.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I don't see Indians games much, but people are having about his defense. Is that accurate?

I assumed he was a hit, no glove, should be a DH guy...

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Santana was a gold glove finalist this year for whatever it's worth. I'm no a Philly Phan but I think it's a good move for them, veteran player in a young clubhouse, got some thump, not a long deal etc...if they get some more.pitchibg and the arms they have stay healthy and progress could be a real dangerous team some time soon.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I don't see Indians games much, but people are having about his defense. Is that accurate?

I assumed he was a hit, no glove, should be a DH guy...

He actually displayed well above average (borderline gold glove) defense at 1st this year & his defense at 1st has shown marked improvement these last couple seasons. In previous years his defense was pretty shabby & he was never a great defensive catcher. Defensively he should do just fine as the everyday 1st baseman for the Phillies, although I don't really expect him to finish as a gold glove finalist again.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Nice move by the Phillies. He will fit in nicely at 1B and will be a plus in the clubhouse, which is good, since Galvis is gone. Outfield looks pretty strong for next year. Hernandez likely will be traded for pitching. Go Phillies!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts