Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I always think about this....What happens to our collections if we pass away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I always think of the board members who we have conversed with through the years on here and the old Beckett boards. What did they do? Anyone know of someone die tragically on any of the boards? Just a scary thought. I have brought this whole thread up because my neighbor on my street got a real scare and is in bad shape and he has three kids. It puts things in my head like "what if" and "when could it" because my wife and kids should not be taken advantage of on my poor judgement of not preparing.....

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Hmm, maybe some of the business savvy types on the board can create a company to do this..

When my previous wife passed away, she did crafts and I know we spent some $$ on things like beads, paints, rubber stamps, fabric, supplies, etc, and I contacted people I knew who did these types of crafts.. Instead of giving everything to goodwill, I gave the various items to people that would use them.. They all appreciated the items..

Have something similar to our collections, where certain cards would go to other members of this board.. for example, my EDGAR stuff would go to "the Edgar Collector" and my Griffey stuff to Magicpapa :cool:, and so on..

Over the Christmas break I start on organizing my cards as my family wouldn't know a $2 card from a $2000 card..

belle-museum.jpg
or
mantle-jr-dual-auto.jpg

Pinocchio_Who_Me-T-link.jpg

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Let's just say that the day I'm buried, there will be one less of many Gwynn cards out in the open world for others to collect. Mirror Gold lowered to /29; Red Crusade officially gets lowered to /24...my casket will not be hermetically sealed!

*edit to add Beckett info from June 26, 2065
"current up arrows connected to Tony Gwynn cards reflect the passing of Gwynn545; except 1998 Tek...he never got all those!"

Last edited:

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Good question. I have a really bad fear of getting old and dieing so I haven't done any preparation even though I know I should. I enjoy collecting cards so much I might not slow down before I die. Luckily, my son is a sports nut like I am so he would be a good choice for my cards and I need to tell him that. My daughter is a big Eagles fan so that's where those cards are going. Thanks to the OP for making me think about it.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I always think of the board members who we have conversed with through the years on here and the old Beckett boards. What did they do? Anyone know of someone die tragically on any of the boards? Just a scary thought. I have brought this whole thread up because my neighbor on my street got a real scare and is in bad shape and he has three kids. It puts things in my head like "what if" and "when could it" because my wife and kids should not be taken advantage of on my poor judgement of not preparing.....

Let me just throw a name out there.......Rich!

Most former Beckett board members know who I am speaking of and he did indeed pass tragically and left an incredible collection. If memory serves me right some collectors who knew him stepped in to help liquidate what he had.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
This is one of the reason why I have shrunk my collection. I had a close call last year and it go me to think how huge of a burden it would have been for my family to have to deal with my collection at the time. It would not have been fair to them at all. They know nothing at all. I then decided to shrink my collection to a manageable size in both enjoyment and cataloguing/record keeping. At first I dint know if i could do it but as it stands I am completely happy with were my collection is now with the few exceptions of missing a certain card here and there.

This is exactly what I have done. I used to have a huge collection but realized none of my children and my wife had zero interest in anything I have collected. It was at this time I felt, like you, that leaving a pile of cards for them to deal with would actually be a huge burden on them. Over the years I decided what I truly wanted to keep and sold off the rest to pay bills and enjoy life a bit. I am down to just a few small sets I am working on and because of the sentimental value of these sets my son has said he would probably keep them. By the end of 2016 I should have everything gone except for the few remaining sets I want to continue to work on.

We all need to think about the grief that our families will be in when we pass and how unfair it will be if we leave them no direction as to what to do with the collection. We all know what our stuff is worth but most of our families do not and I know I would hate to see my wife sell my stuff for pennies on the dollar when she could have sold it for so much more. My suggestion is come up with a solid plan and put it into place. Don't put your families in the position of having to go through your stuff.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Let's just say that the day I'm buried, there will be one less of many Gwynn cards out in the open world for others to collect. Mirror Gold lowered to /29; Red Crusade officially gets lowered to /24...my casket will not be hermetically sealed!

*edit to add Beckett info from June 26, 2065
"current up arrows connected to Tony Gwynn cards reflect the passing of Gwynn545; except 1998 Tek...he never got all those!"

;) ... A note from eBay on June 27th, 2065. "Sorry our servers have crashed because of people listing an absurd amount of Tony Gwynn 1998 Topps Tek cards. Hopefully those looking for certain patterns can now complete their runs."

Ryan

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
This is one of the reason why I have shrunk my collection. I had a close call last year and it go me to think how huge of a burden it would have been for my family to have to deal with my collection at the time. It would not have been fair to them at all. They know nothing at all. I then decided to shrink my collection to a manageable size in both enjoyment and cataloguing/record keeping. At first I dint know if i could do it but as it stands I am completely happy with were my collection is now with the few exceptions of missing a certain card here and there.
This has been my mantra for 2015. I have sold a bunch of cards to clear a 5-digit hospital debt and am working to trim the collection to just a few keepers

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
This has been my mantra for 2015. I have sold a bunch of cards to clear a 5-digit hospital debt and am working to trim the collection to just a few keepers

I'm still Waitin' fer my 96 Mirror Gold Mailday.................... :wink:

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I don't even collect anymore and this thread just made my spine tingle. I have no kids and a wife who is less than enthusiastic about my card and comic collection. I just texted my brother to see if he would like his 2 young boys to have them when I pass. If not I think it might be time to liquidate everything so it's one less burden on anybody.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I actually had to list all my cards and approximate value when we went to do our living/death wills. Every 90 days, I have to submit a change to the will as the collection grows/decreases. If something should happen during the middle of a change, the last change takes legal precedence.

My wife has been instructed to:

1) Ask my first born son if he wants all of my cards. He can not cherry pick, he has to take them all. He must own them for 10 years then do with them as he wishes.
2) If my first born son doesn't want them, then on to my second born son and same stipulations as above apply.
3 & 4 are same as 1-2.

5) If none of my sons want them, then my wife is to auction them through a means of her choice as a lot. The selling price minus auction fees will be donated to a local American Legion Children's Christmas fund.

We made our living/death wills five years ago now and have made several changes because my collection has grown/decreased plus we've added new grand children to our trust fund lists.

Fordman

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
1) Naomi will get the collection, same stipulations as most w/children above. If she gets it, she must take all and (hopefully) continue on (at least) the JJ, Northcutt, Kerry Collins, McCown, Dumba & Amaro collections. It'd be nice to continue them all, but I understand not wanting to, especially since most are out of the leagues they are in.

2) If she doesn't want them, my bro will get them.

3) If bro doesn't want them, someone will get them. I'm not breaking up the JJ collection, just because of time, effort & dollar amount spent scouring sites and from folks on the boards / Youtube sending things. I have one person in mind that I'm sure will value them the way I did, because I know the wife would rather burn my cards / wrestling stuff / MST3K collection than have it around.

Members online

Latest posts