Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors- Desperate times call for desperate measures...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Being a Mike Matheny collector doesn't offer too much in the way of new cards. In fact, Topps Heritage is the only company producing new cards of him each year. This year Topps Heritage produced the normal card and two variants, the gum stained back and the blue back. Topps also auctioned off the blank back 1/1 card. I was able to get all four of these within the first month of release as well as the item below.
194b509f-cb6f-4249-bd90-c6e457978d5f_zpsxourlwe2.jpg
d7f60bc9-a890-4a2d-a49c-90dad9bfad54_zpsav9efepe.jpg
47b38da2-9371-4895-9e52-7e05d48f8861_zpsgx6ohzgh.jpg
5631ce20-8bbb-40f8-bf5e-077082f32ab4_zpsmqcjdcpc.jpg

When you collect a player that doesn't have many new cards issued sometimes you get desperate and need to expand your pc perameters. After a couple years of looking I was able to find and acquire his high school senior yearbook from 1988. Kind of a neat item. Looks like Mike was a two sport star as well as homecoming king.

2ec70fce-c211-4fec-90c7-7f5161a190d8_zpsslj9fp0t.jpg

mmmmmmm_zpsylqmktiw.jpg

98e925c6-1121-4348-9fd8-b3187113e309_zps6q9dnieq.jpg
mmmmyy_zpst66fpjff.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Nice! Dale Sveum has had some yearbooks and high school photos up for auction but I can't bring myself to purchase them. With the 80's cutoff football jersey crop top it just seems wrong!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I have 1-2 HS and 2-3 College Will Clark yearbooks. Yeah, it's def an expansion of normal collecting, but oddball stuff is as fun to collect as anything.

Congrats on your finds

Ryan

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
Somebody needs to track down Kelly Matthews. I'm putting a $20 on the table that she still has that hairdo.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Player Collector

Being a Mike Matheny collector doesn't offer too much in the way of new cards. In fact, Topps Heritage is the only company producing new cards of him each year. This year Topps Heritage produced the normal card and two variants, the gum stained back and the blue back. Topps also auctioned off the blank back 1/1 card. I was able to get all four of these within the first month of release as well as the item below.

When you collect a player that doesn't have many new cards issued sometimes you get desperate and need to expand your pc perameters. After a couple years of looking I was able to find and acquire his high school senior yearbook from 1988. Kind of a neat item. Looks like Mike was a two sport star as well as homecoming king.

I basically collect one player and collect his cards (pre 1979), but I also collect memorabilia type items (i.e. magazines, posters, ads, articles, buttons/pins, etc.). Also, if you want to get into higher dollar items you can go for GU items which make for a nice display. The longer a player is actively playing the game the more items will likely come out and the search is on...

By the way, I do have a Brooks Robinson yearbook. He didn't play baseball in HS, but played basketball. Makes for a great collectible.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I basically collect one player and collect his cards (pre 1979), but I also collect memorabilia type items (i.e. magazines, posters, ads, articles, buttons/pins, etc.). Also, if you want to get into higher dollar items you can go for GU items which make for a nice display. The longer a player is actively playing the game the more items will likely come out and the search is on...

By the way, I do have a Brooks Robinson yearbook. He didn't play baseball in HS, but played basketball. Makes for a great collectible.

Really , he didn't play baseball in HS ? Not a bad career considering ;)

SCP Auctions has some Gwynn Stuff going up on the 8th including his college Basketball Uni , kind of a neat item to have

Ryan

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Brooks Robinson

Really , he didn't play baseball in HS ? Not a bad career considering ;)

Ryan

His HS didn't field a baseball team; he played basketball, track and football. He was playing American Legion ball during this time and was picked up at by the O's at 18 years old. Your right; not a bad 23 years...

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I have all of Frank Thomas' yearbooks from high school through college, less his senior HS yearbook, so I approve of your purchase. They're a good look into the formative years of what made our favorite players greats.

Latest posts