Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Found out a card I bought off eBay was trimmed six months after purchase, any recourse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Bought a card, sat on it, had it graded, came back trimmed. Contacted the seller about it and he basically said that that sucks for me and I know the time limits have passed on eBay/Paypal, but was wondering if there was anything else that could be done about it. Thanks.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
I don't believe that there is as there is no way to prove that the trimming didn't occur while the card was in your possession. That being said, as a seller, as long as I don't have any reason to suspect that the person actually did try to doctor the card, I would give a full refund.

I've only had this problem occur once and I immediately made arrangements with the buyer to issue a full refund even though my Ebay fees wouldn't be refunded since it was outside of the allotted time period.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
There's no guarantee it was, in fact, trimmed. An "expert" has given their opinion, but that expert is frequently wrong. I've had cards I've pulled that came back as "trimmed".

If I were the seller, I wouldn't offer a dime.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
You have no recourse if the dealer doesn't want to work with you.

As stated above, you really shouldn't have recourse after that long. If you did, than lots of unscrupulous buyers would grab eBay deals, slice 'em and send them in to TPGs to see if they could sneak by graders, and then return to seller whenever it didn't work.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
There's no guarantee it was, in fact, trimmed. An "expert" has given their opinion, but that expert is frequently wrong. I've had cards I've pulled that came back as "trimmed".

If I were the seller, I wouldn't offer a dime.

+1

Last week, a grading company returned a card opened that day as "evidence of coloring" .. I watched the card go straight from pack to grading company submission... BG

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Sorry for the results :cry:

So, suppose similar situation, sell an unauthenticated auto off EBAY and buyer sends it in for authentication 6 +/- months after getting item. Item comes back "questionable authenticity." Do you give refund if asked?

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, good points guys. I did put the card up against others and it is noticeably smaller. Guess it just ticked me off because I paid about 5x actual sale value because I had been looking for the card for a long time and he has another of the same card and is unwilling to even give a break on it.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry for the results :cry:

So, suppose similar situation, sell an unauthenticated auto off EBAY and buyer sends it in for authentication 6 +/- months after getting item. Item comes back "questionable authenticity." Do you give refund if asked?
If I am selling the auto, and I'm sure it's the same auto, then yes. The card is different for reasons stated above.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts