Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tales from old beckett/ tuff stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I remember this selling for way above cover price....

bo_jackson_beckett.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I remember this selling for way above cover price....

bo_jackson_beckett.jpg

I had a subscription when that issue was released and I never received mine. I was ticked. Wrote a letter and I think they sent me an extra copy of the issue before that one (Griffey cover). Wouldn't be the last time Beckett showed incompetence

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
From a june 1985 "baseball card" magazine:

84 fleer puckett $1, clemens .09
84 donruss mattingly $1.50
52 topps set $7800 (mantle 1,100)

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Could've been Collector's Sportslook. They were done by the same people who did Wizard for comics. It was pretty amusing, actually. I miss the olden days when Becketts, et al, were worth picking up for something besides the price guide. They'd have actual articles on various things related to collecting or the sports they followed. Now they just print the sell sheets and press releases practically verbatim.

I made the same complaint to Chris Olds a dozen times. Falls on deaf ears, content is online now in the news section. My favorite was the features on individual players that where normally a couple pages long.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Who's the dealer who keeps mailing me 15 page advertisers for old sets/lots etc. with all sports and comics? Lonestar? Either way, as much as I enjoy reading that on the toilet I can't believe Beckett is as bad as it is with their 2 pages of content. Haven't touched one in 4 years now

Cardsone? I know I get one of these things every now and then probably because at some point I bought something from them on Ebay

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
In more "info lost to time"

From a 1985 baseball cards magazine keith olbermann reported that the '67 topps maris proof crd was discovered in big quantity by bruce yeko from wholesale cards in ct during late sixties. He had enough of them to list them for sale in his catalog for a few yrs at a buck per.

Also from 1997 april beckett:

The 97 topps willie mays auto reprints were limited to about 65 ea (18 different reprint autos).

Don't remember hearing about how many of ea were signed

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts