Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 4 living players

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Seaver vs. Gibson - Seaver was better as a pitcher.

Wins: 311 to 251
Win %: .601 to .591
Games: 656 to 528
ERA: .286 to .291
Strikeouts: 3640 to 3117
WHIP: 1.121 to 1.188
WAR: 106.3 to 81.9

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Yeah Seaver is way up on the time WAR list. If we went by just that I think it would be fair, of course Bonds and Arod are like 3 and 4, we can't have that right?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
No way to really measure it, but I'm pretty sure Koufax was overall better than either Gibson, Seaver or Randy Johnson though obviously alot less IP...

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Yet we have people screaming from rooftops to get Peter Rose in the HOF.

Nothing Rose did calls into question his performance on the field while what Bonds did does. I'm not saying Rose was a better player than Bonds but when considering top players I think it's reasonable to have the opinion that anyone whose numbers are known to have been enhanced should not be considered.

My 4 are:
Mays
Aaron
And 2 of:
Pedro/Maddux/Johnson (3 guys who warrant comparisons with the best in any era)

I'd rather go position by position though since it's hard to compare.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Guess what this really means is that you can't limit this to just four. So what should it be? Five ? Six? Top ten?

For me it's at least one at each position. Or minimally a few hitters and a few pitchers. It is hard to compare guys like Rickey with some of the names mentioned, and catchers IMO should be judged a bit differently. Either way you slice it though it makes for fun discussion.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Nothing Rose did calls into question his performance on the field while what Bonds did does. I'm not saying Rose was a better player than Bonds but when considering top players I think it's reasonable to have the opinion that anyone whose numbers are known to have been enhanced should not be considered.

My 4 are:
Mays
Aaron
And 2 of:
Pedro/Maddux/Johnson (3 guys who warrant comparisons with the best in any era)

I'd rather go position by position though since it's hard to compare.

You can't 100% know his betting didn't affect his on-field play or managing.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
You can't 100% know his betting didn't affect his on-field play or managing.

No but the concern there is he would have played better (if he had bet against his own team). With Bonds the concern is he would have played worse without steroids.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
Sandy was like a comet, wasn't around that long, He destroyed the Yankees in the 63 WS. I hated him as 14 year old yankee fan.
SANDY KOUFAX 1963 All-Time greastest single season MVP Triple Crown CY
And MVP World Series too. That 1963 Topps is beloved by card collector.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts