Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps issues (non) Statement on Tribute - Updated with Recall Statement!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Here it is, folks.

From their Facebook page:

Dear Valued Topps Collectors and Customers,
Topps has been investigating complaints regarding the quality of the autographed cards in the just-released 2015 Topps Tribute Baseball and has confirmed that many autographed cards are damaged due to a UV contamination on the card.
As a result of our investigation and to rectify the situation, Topps is initiating a complete recall of the product.
Those in possession of unopened boxes should return them no later than Friday, March 27, 2015 to the authorized distributor or store from which the box was purchased for a full refund.
In addition, between now and June 30, 2015, anyone in possession of a damaged autographed card (not in pack) can exchange the card by contacting Topps Customer Service. Exchanges will be made for another card of equal or greater value, plus a bonus autographed or relic card (valued at the company’s discretion).
Topps appreciates your understanding in this matter. We stand firmly behind all our products and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Last edited:

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
now will anyone hold onto Tribute and hope price increases on the recalled product? Will be a fun market to watch

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
now will anyone hold onto Tribute and hope price increases on the recalled product? Will be a fun market to watch

Literally my first thought as well. And, if you are a player collector, no way you send it back in for a replacement of "equal value". I expect the returned cards will be used in some sort of new/replacement pack out of some sort.

The crying shame here is that the cards actually looked really nice!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Anyone know if there is a process they can wipe off the autos w/o ruining the card , get resigned w a different marker that may set better , and reissue ? Def going to be interesting on the 2ndary market with singles. I think opening came to a halt quickly so things /99 or so prob really have a small % of that existing. Any autos that didn't smudge will prob command a premium now. But if they're redone/repackaged by Topps then those buying anything now should wait. Weird situation for sure and curious what the end result is.

Ryan

Last edited:

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
This is very interesting. What are the chances that Topps just destroys all returned product?

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Anyone know if there is a process they can wipe off the autos w/o ruining the card , get resigned w a different marker that may set better , and reissue ? Def going to be interesting on the 2ndary market with singles. I think opening came to a halt quickly so things /99 or so prob really have a small % of that existing. Any autos that didn't smudge will prob command a premium now. But if their redone/repackaged by Topps then those buying anything now should wait. Weird situation for sure and curious what the end result is.

Ryan

Was thinking this as well. If you pulled an auto that was in good shape you might wanna stash it away for a few years

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
There will be some shenanigans of lesser player autos

People can alter the sig and look to have it replaced with a "better" player auto.

The player collector market will explode in about 9-12 months from now on the secondary market when originals and replacements will be available of the same player

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
But I would think they will use the relics / base / anything not damaged somehow.

Not sure , but maybe they even go direct sales or eBay style and move individual cards so everything is sold.

It's something nobody really has had to do (recall) so maybe they try a route like that to move the singles.

*** if they destroy anything and don't remake it, I wonder if they would ever announce the qtys destroyed to show what is out in the market. Probably not , but curious if they'd show what exists still after the recall is done

Ryan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
But I would think they will use the relics / base / anything not damaged somehow.

Not sure , but maybe they even go direct sales or eBay style and move individual cards so everything is sold.

It's something nobody really has had to do (recall) so maybe they try a route like that to move the singles.

*** if they destroy anything and don't remake it, I wonder if they would ever announce the qtys destroyed to show what is out in the market. Probably not , but curious if they'd show what exists still after the recall is done

Ryan

I would doubt it, if they destroy it then I would guess it all goes in furnace without knowing what's in it

Members online

Latest posts