Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

News Outlets confirming that Jose Fernandez has died.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
An updated article on the events leading up to that evening. The texts between the friends is absolutely gut wrenching. And how would you feel if you were Ozuna...invited but said no because your kids were there and was going to spend time with them...my god.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ed-concerns-late-night-boating-jose-fernandez

Mike Bielecki told me a similar story about how he was invited to go on the boat with Steve Olin, Tim Crews and Bobby Ojeda, but declined to spend time with his then wife...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Yeah that's terrible. Such a sad story. My gut is telling me this is a drinking and boating situation as the one friend seemed quite concerned- maybe he knew they had been drinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Yeah that's terrible. Such a sad story. My gut is telling me this is a drinking and boating situation as the one friend seemed quite concerned- maybe he knew they had been drinking?

TMZ is reporting he left the bar with his friends about a hour before the accident.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Yeah, I agree Lancemountain. I don't want it to be a DUI type accident, just makes it look so bad and puts a sour taste on the situation. But signs are starting to point that way, just hope it's not. The one friend was awfully concerned before hand and leaving a dockside bar at that time of night sure makes you wonder.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
My gut is telling me this is a drinking and boating situation as the one friend seemed quite concerned- maybe he knew they had been drinking?

I read the marcell ozuna thing in the AP story in the morning newspaper. I wish the AP reporter was more enterprising and asked Ozuna what the concern was about - whether it might be that Jose and friends were drinking or if it was the night boating which seems very difficult and have to pay attention even if one was sober let alone drunk.

I take it the jetty didn't have safety light buoys or whatever to mark its location so I have to assume maybe the boaters should have known about it from marine maps.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Breaking news: Jose Fernandez had cocaine in his system and his BAC was double the legal limit when he crashed his boat killing himself and his two friends.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Tragedies are even worse when they are avoidable. Damn shame. When will people learn not to drink and drive/boat?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
It taints his legacy but doesn't make the situation any less sad. I tell my students that we all make bad decisions, it is just that some of our bad decisions lead to a bad night and others affect us forever. Make the best bad decisions you can.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Breaking news: Jose Fernandez had cocaine in his system and his BAC was double the legal limit when he crashed his boat killing himself and his two friends.
Ugh. I'm sorry he died and I liked him, but come on. What a ****ing idiot.

The guy had everything in the world, including a baby on the way and he uses cocaine? No respect anymore for this guy, no matter how likeable he was on the mound. Totally selfish to be so stupid with a pregnant girlfriend.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Ugh. I'm sorry he died and I liked him, but come on. What a ****ing idiot.

The guy had everything in the world, including a baby on the way and he uses cocaine? No respect anymore for this guy, no matter how likeable he was on the mound. Totally selfish to be so stupid with a pregnant girlfriend.

There’s no doubt in my mind he made a terrible, terrible mistake and it’s such a shame that his actions impacted so many other people negatively. You see so many athletes in their early-mid 20’s partying like crazy and making bad decisions. In these situations I hope someone learns their lesson by going to jail or in some other way besides this. It’s just a very sad situation but there’s no excuse for getting in and driving a boat/car in that state. It’s also a shame his friends didn’t stop him – clearly from the texts they knew what the deal was.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It's hard not to feel anger (may not be right word) towards him. If he was the one driving the boat, if he would have killed just himself, that's one terrible thing. But to cause the loss of life of others, leave a child wo a dad etc because of selfish actions that didn't need to occur is disappointing.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I remember multiple scenes from the movie "A Bronx Tale" when C gets the lecture from his father. "There's nothing worse than wasted talent." Fernandez had a Hall of Fame career and now it's gone. Before the news broke, I feared the worst. The same question kept popping into my head "How can someone hit a jetty going that fast?" Now, it's clear and I don't know how I'm feeling. I met Fernandez in 2012 with the Greensboro Grasshoppers. That kid had a heart of gold and he loved freedom like no other. It's sad to see him depart us so soon. His life can be used as another example that drugs are never a good idea. :(((

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It's a shame the Cy Young votes are already sent in.
I bet most of those voters would now abstain from voting for someone who violated MLB rules by being high on cocaine during the baseball season and who probably killed his friends by driving the boat while on drugs and alcohol.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Is there any indication he was driving the boat? Everything I've seen seemed to indicate that he was not.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
There is probably no real way to know if he was driving, unless one of them had the kill switch cord attached. Considering they were drunk and doing cocaine, I doubt they were terribly concerned by insuring the kill switch on the boat was active.