Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should Topps replace damaged cards?

Should Topps Replace Cards

• Yes - should replace cards

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • No - should not replace cards

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Simple poll question.

I recently read on another site about someone sending in inserts (not autos, #, etc.) just base retail insert to get replaced by topps because there was SLIGHT damage to the card.

Maybe it is just a product of me opening packs in the 80s, but I don't really think that Topps should replace any cards that are damaged.

Extreme circumstances exist like the 2014 Bowman Chrome Autos where every single card is damaged, yes Topps should probably do something.

But in general, if you HAD to vote with a yes or no, should Topps replace cards that are damaged from packs?

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
If it is a true error in production I think they should. What's the harm? If it isn't something like a relic, they can simply just print another one and shread the damaged one that was sent to them. An auto card might be slightly more complicated as they may have to send an on-card auto to the player - in this case the person who got the damaged card should receive a new card of the same player similar serial numbers, etc. But if we're talking about inserts what's the harm to topps? Though I don't break much nowadays I can feel the pain of those who used to bust $1000+ exquisite Upper Deck basketball stuff and get a ding on every card...

Simple poll question.

I recently read on another site about someone sending in inserts (not autos, #, etc.) just base retail insert to get replaced by topps because there was SLIGHT damage to the card.

Maybe it is just a product of me opening packs in the 80s, but I don't really think that Topps should replace any cards that are damaged.

Extreme circumstances exist like the 2014 Bowman Chrome Autos where every single card is damaged, yes Topps should probably do something.

But in general, if you HAD to vote with a yes or no, should Topps replace cards that are damaged from packs?

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
I opened a case of 2010 BDPP and about 80% of the base prospect cards had print lines on them that were very visible. I sent them all back and Topps replaced them. When it's completely obvious that production problems caused damage then Topps definitely should be on the hook to replace damaged cards. The problems that many folks have had with 2014 Bowman Chrome are another example of that.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I've always thought it was kinda lame to ask for "base" cards to be replaced.

Anything /99 or auto'd, I'd say Yes, but otherwise, just chalk it up to bad luck...

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
if flawed product is packed out , it should be replaced , either with relatively similar items or the equivalent in unopened packs....

i recall as far back as the mid-80's buying a few boxes of cards that had most of them come from the pack damaged ....first there were crimp marks on almost all of 2 boxes of 1985 donruss ...got a free replacement box for those and was told to just keep the damaged ones....next up in 1987 , a local mom and pop store had about 3/4 of a case of topps baseball...i bought it all...sat on the hood of my car with my neighbors to open it....half the cards in every pack (all those above the gum) were severely diamond cut.....sent those along with all the wax-backs and gum-stained cards back and was rewarded with a couple nice sealed vending boxes....

i've talked to a few reps over the years since (donruss , pacific , and topps) and in every case they were very receptive of making good on damaged items (and in several cases even honoring expired redemption cards).....i haven't sent any back recently , but i know as of 2012 (when i had some issues with heritage) the topps reps i talked to confirmed they would still issue replacements for missing or damaged items as long as it was current-year material ....personally , with all the overlap in production and distribution times/methods i wish they'd extend that time frame an extra year....

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Anything /99 or auto'd, I'd say Yes, but otherwise, just chalk it up to bad luck...

a few years back i picked up half a case of a product (2007 bowman draft)....literally EVERY regular chrome card had a pair of vertical roller marks....not to mention , every chrome parallel other than the base refractors had either crimp marks or separation of the coating on the back of the card just below the serial number....with the base (non-chrome) material being almost worthless , essentially i got nothing....

so you feel i should have just settled for having "bad luck" cause me to lose 80% of my material to poor quality control ? sorry , but that's 100% unacceptable...

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
to me its no different than buying new dishes and there are a few busted when you open the box. you return it and get new ones. any store out there that i know if, if you buy something and you open it and its damaged you can return it and get a new one or a refund.

sports cards shouldnt be any other way. unfortunately there will always be those out there that would take advantage of the system.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
yes, topps should replace them, even dinged corners. It seems every pack has a dinged corner card and it likely is because the wrappers are very tight on the cards or the packout machines are too rough on the cards when straightening them out for the wrapper process.

You would hope replacing factory damaged cards -- inventory fetch and mailing expenses and inventory costs for cards held back for replacements -- will get Topps to be proactive in working with their vendors to try to improve quality control in the printing/packout processes.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Agreed. Whether Topps does right by the customer or not is a separate issue but whether they should or not is a no brainer to me. Also who are they to draw a line and say that 10 cent base cards are not worthy of being replaced? We all collect different things and have different financial situations, so if a customer is unhappy getting 100 base cards that have been damaged that would be considered "worthless" by eBay/resale standards - Topps should make right on that nonetheless.

The one example that a member brought up above that I would side with Topps on is if let's say you buy a sealed hobby box that is 10 years old on eBay, rip it, and find some dinged corners - in that case I'm not sure that Topps should get involved because who knows how the box was stored for that time. But on fresh products that come out with printing errors directly from the hobby box card companies should put in some effort to make it right.

a few years back i picked up half a case of a product (2007 bowman draft)....literally EVERY regular chrome card had a pair of vertical roller marks....not to mention , every chrome parallel other than the base refractors had either crimp marks or separation of the coating on the back of the card just below the serial number....with the base (non-chrome) material being almost worthless , essentially i got nothing....

so you feel i should have just settled for having "bad luck" cause me to lose 80% of my material to poor quality control ? sorry , but that's 100% unacceptable...

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
I've always thought it was kinda lame to ask for "base" cards to be replaced.

Why is it lame to ask for a replacement for damaged cards, regardless of what they are? I paid for a product - that product better be in excellent condition.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Why is it lame to ask for a replacement for damaged cards, regardless of what they are? I paid for a product - that product better be in excellent condition.

I view it the same as a pack of chips, cookies or crackers. I'm sure they were fine when the left the factory, something happened on the way.

Especially with "base" cards, which I love more than most and even get teased on for it, there is Nothing wrong with just taking the hit and moving on IMO.

As far as defective Products, like the "lined" BC or the overly bent TC, I hope Topps learns from it, and they did change vendors, but nothing to get worked up about to me...

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Agreed - plus we're in different financial positions. Some people RIP $2000 NT cases others rip $2 Retail store packs, I don't think it's good customer service for Topps to say that the latter group is lame.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Agree with most that has been said and that cards should be replaced. Not necessarily "exact" replacements however, as that isn't necessarily feeseable in a prodcut that is "random". Thats where things get crappy unfortunately

Latest posts