Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
Has anyone mentioned the 1989 upper deck versions with no hologram on the back?

While interesting, these are generally considered print flaws due to foil application misstep. Very common in cards today and since the regular use of foil beginning in the early/mid 90's. As for 1989 UD, specifically, I have seen many, many examples of them.

1989 UD is probably the single most backdoored set of the junk era. There is so much printer's scrap circulating in the hobby today due it's tremendous popularity at release.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Regarding the 1989 Upper Deck, I'm going to definitely look for the other blank hologram versions for my collection - I searched COMC and found only 1 in the 500+ I looked at that had no hologram. I'd say that while they may be plentiful, the # compared to the regular 1989 Upper Decks seem very, very small.

Spike

Oct 22, 2013
Ragtop12, do you still have the 87 Toys R Us non-glossy Will Clark? If so, is it something you would part with?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country

i'm not sold on the 1989 being a legitmiate variation....i see the seller notes three different sources recognizing it , but one beckett does NOT have it listed (though he uses beckett as a reference)...i think that one is nothing more than a faded or low-ink-level card...it sure does look to me like on the "dark green variation" that ALL the green (in fact ALL colors) are darker by the same degree compared to the "light green" version on which all the colors merely look faded or washed out....

i also have never seen that 1988 card cataloged as a variation , but i'm inclined to believe that it may be considered as such by some of the hard core guys (was surprised it isnt detailed on the junk wax gems blog post covering 88 topps)

the 1991 is definitely a known variation discussed on the junk wax gems blog (scroll down and read about card number 720 - cecil fielder ....that's the gray vs red or pink number variation he talks about which is much easier to see on the canseco scan than the fielder pictured on the blog)

https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/2...91-topps-baseball-the-40th-anniversary-issue/

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
What do you think we have here: a true variation, or just bad scans on COMC's part? These are all from different sellers, so it isn't just one person with all the shiny ones:

Mike-Piazza.jpg
Mike-Piazza.jpg

Derek-Jeter.jpg
Derek-Jeter.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Hey , I have 40 or so ZAxis /20 and as I looked at them , I found 4 w/o card numbers. Anyone know/remember if that was common to certain cards ?

Thx
Ryan

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1427224061.884539.jpg

Vs

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1427224093.475141.jpg

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
A number of the cards from that set, as well as all the base fractal materials are missing numbers. Makes putting a set together really annoying

Sent from my XT1080 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
A number of the cards from that set, as well as all the base fractal materials are missing numbers. Makes putting a set together really annoying

Sent from my XT1080 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Thx , it's been a long time and I didn't recall anything

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Bought some cheap boxes to rip today and pulled this. i was lucky to even notice it, but the grey box caught my eye when i opened the pack. Sure enough, it was not right and the correct version has the black box. The rest of the back has a washed out look too, as there is a lack of black ink all around. No other cards in the box looked like this. For those of you with organized cards, see if you have this or others like it.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Was anyone aware of these Lee Smith variations in the 1988 Topps Sticker Backs set?

http://borosny.blogspot.com/2015/03/great-cards-from-junior-junkie.html

Apparently there are three different versions of the stats. One includes G, W-L, SV and ERA columns, and the other two have W-L, SO, SHO and ERA colums with the numbers for W-L and SO swapped.

I'm going to start browsing through COMC to see if there are any other similar variations.

-----------------

Well, the main things that stand out at COMC are that the Topps and OPC cards are mixed together, and the COMC watermark is right on top of the stats, making them difficult to read.

Last edited:

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Just confirm this one 1988 Donruss, INC vs. INC. I thought it was originally only on the MVPs, but I just went through over 400 Barry Bonds, and found 3 INC no period. So they seem to be much "rarer" than INC.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts