Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shorted 15 autos in a Topps Chrome case - now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
You never buy a Topps product again. If everybody who was burned by them did this they would be forced to change their ways if they did not out of business first.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
^That does bite. You knew it was a lose lose. Sorry man, it really does suck. I would tell you to try and move on and keep moving - only because you probably won't get anywhere with Topps and it'll eat your alive reliving this nightmare.

Although I think it's all hearsay whether you'd of got anything better in your case or color or refractors, etc. - I do agree with you around timing hurting you and working against you when it comes to value, etc. For that, I wish Topps would of sent you SOMETHING to make you smile.

#THANKSTOPPS

Are the odds of getting a Refractor Autograph 15x harder than pulling a base autograph? If not...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Are the odds of getting a Refractor Autograph 15x harder than pulling a base autograph? If not...
No idea... at the end of the day odds are stated odds and we've all "missed the odds"

Sure you should always hit the odds if you buy a case but we're beating a dead horse here... he was shorted base autos, Topps did what Topps does and shafted him on the replacements and we kick and scream down the road.

[MENTION=3164]jbhofmann[/MENTION] said it perfectly - the ONLY play here was to pack up all the cards, wrappers, boxes, tape, etc. and send it ALL back to Topps with a letter saying you got a defected product and it didn't have what was stated as far as odds, etc.

I'm guessing he didn't do this because the case wasn't a zero but wasn't a homerun either... a nice replacement would of put this topic and thread to bed but they didn't, so we're still here discussing :lol:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
a nice replacement would of put this topic and thread to bed but they didn't, so we're still here discussing :lol:

No, a nice replacement would have given some dishonest people more reason to attempt to run a replacement scam on Topps, that's why he got crap bare minimum replacements. It sucks but that's what happens. Topps has absolutely no way of knowing that Johnny Jackrod and Billy Bob Buttlick pulled all of the autos they should have and are trying to rip them off, but Greg Goodguy really was totally ripped off in his case and should get some decent replacements. If we lived in a world where nobody lied like that one Ricky Gervais movie, then when a factory screwup occurred you could get a "fair" replacement. But we don't, and Topps isn't interested in losing tons of money by giving awesome free autographs to every liar on the planet, so if you have bad luck and are on the wrong end of a mistake you need to suck it up, take the crap replacements, and move on. If you're not okay with that risk, buy singles.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
No, a nice replacement would have given some dishonest people more reason to attempt to run a replacement scam on Topps, that's why he got crap bare minimum replacements. It sucks but that's what happens. Topps has absolutely no way of knowing that Johnny Jackrod and Billy Bob Buttlick pulled all of the autos they should have and are trying to rip them off, but Greg Goodguy really was totally ripped off in his case and should get some decent replacements. If we lived in a world where nobody lied like that one Ricky Gervais movie, then when a factory screwup occurred you could get a "fair" replacement. But we don't, and Topps isn't interested in losing tons of money by giving awesome free autographs to every liar on the planet, so if you have bad luck and are on the wrong end of a mistake you need to suck it up, take the crap replacements, and move on. If you're not okay with that risk, buy singles.
Ding* Ding* Ding* Ding* Ding*

Straight knockout blow... someone lock the thread. Now we're done.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
The only thing that makes this even an issue is that they guarantee x hits per box.

What other consumer product is treated like this?

If I bought a box of ice cream sandwiches and 6 of 12 were missing it would be asinine for Blue Bunny two express ship me 6 ice cream sandwiches. They'd send me a voucher for a free box.

Dear Old Spice,

I love your body wash. It's awesome but last week the bottle I bought was defective and only contained half the amount. Could you please send half a bottle to me in a ziplock baggy?

Thanks!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The only thing that makes this even an issue is that they guarantee x hits per box.

What other consumer product is treated like this?

If I bought a box of ice cream sandwiches and 6 of 12 were missing it would be asinine for Blue Bunny two express ship me 6 ice cream sandwiches. They'd send me a voucher for a free box.

Dear Old Spice,

I love your body wash. It's awesome but last week the bottle I bought was defective and only contained half the amount. Could you please send half a bottle to me in a ziplock baggy?

Thanks!
So basically it's like Cracker Jack guaranteeing 1 "Prize Inside" - so if you bought a case of Cracker Jack's and found that they shorted you 15 prizes, is it not OK if they send you 15 prizes of their choosing?! Or should they send you unopened product? No, they should just send you the prizes... unless you send them back the 15 boxes with the insides and then maybe they'll send you 15 unopened boxes of Cracker Jacks. What if the prizes they send you suck... like pictures of balloons or unicorns? I mean we all want the fold-out Wagner, right?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The only thing is, damn near every other product, not card related, that's out there would have been able to be sent back. If he sent everything back topps still would have gave him bad replacements of whatever. Even though I could lie and say old spice or cracker jack didn't give me what was promised and they'd send me free product without the return. Topps won't due to the cost. Which in my mind means fair enough, but don't mess up like this. Or I won't dare buy another of your products and I'll let everyone on earth know why too.

That's about all you can do at this point. And I think this stuff will scare some people off from buying a case of this product. You spend that much...you can't afford for topps to screw up.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

The answer of "life's not always fair so deal with it ", is a poor excuse to let something fly that should not.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Honestly, how many cases of this stuff did Topps produce? It'll help put into prospective how bad they messed up... let's face it, no one is perfect and if they shorted 15 autos in one case out of 10,000 then I think that's pretty good because I would bet most businesses have a certain % of error in whatever product they produce... at least that's my honest opinion.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
The average 'duped' customer should not be punished for Topps assuming that everyone is a scumbag liar. If Topps is bold enough to state odds & post guarantees (that they obviously deflower time and time again) then they should be held responsible to ensure these odds and guarantees are being met. Simply saying "he could be lying so send him all junk" (as some have alluded to) is inexcusable. If they have zero way to know if someone is being had or not, then they have zero way of knowing if their stated odds and guarantees are being met or not. Either way, Topps needs to be held responsible. If it were me, I would package up the whole damn lot, replacement cards and all, and send them back to Topps as a parting gift. Fortunately this will never happen to me as I vowed to never buy a Topps card again months back, not new or old, so if I am going to be screwed at least it will not be by Topps.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Honestly, how many cases of this stuff did Topps produce? It'll help put into prospective how bad they messed up... let's face it, no one is perfect and if they shorted 15 autos in one case out of 10,000 then I think that's pretty good because I would bet most businesses have a certain % of error in whatever product they produce... at least that's my honest opinion.

Your right, the difference is how the company handles that 1/10,000 mistake.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
pgaHLEe.gif

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
This is what [MENTION=3164]jbhofmann[/MENTION] and I are pounding the table on as well... should of done that from square one.

For those of you that keep hammering this home as the absolute solution - I was told by Topps on the phone that this was NOT an option. They would not accept nor replace bulk opened product, all they would take were scans of each barcode on the box and the outer case. I absolutely did explore this as an option and even had all the wrappers and cards set aside, but was shot down by their customer service dept.

I was never looking for the moon and stars, and I resent being painted as a greedy scam artist by a few posters. I feel my rationale of the size of the mistake and the loss in value due to the time lapse was legit - Topps clearly neither agreed nor cared. All I got was 15 crap autographs, each sent with no protection inside a tiny manilla envelope and bulk shipped in a bubble mailer.

I think I have every right to be disappointed, and I think the vast majority of you here would feel the same in my shoes....

Greg

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
For those of you that keep hammering this home as the absolute solution - I was told by Topps on the phone that this was NOT an option. They would not accept nor replace bulk opened product, all they would take were scans of each barcode on the box and the outer case. I absolutely did explore this as an option and even had all the wrappers and cards set aside, but was shot down by their customer service dept.

I was never looking for the moon and stars, and I resent being painted as a greedy scam artist by a few posters. I feel my rationale of the size of the mistake and the loss in value due to the time lapse was legit - Topps clearly neither agreed nor cared. All I got was 15 crap autographs, each sent with no protection inside a tiny manilla envelope and bulk shipped in a bubble mailer.

I think I have every right to be disappointed, and I think the vast majority of you here would feel the same in my shoes....

Greg

Years back Topps told me that if they take alot of cards back they only take around 20-25 cards at a time per package.
Also who called you a scammer? I could not find that anywhere in this thread...
Also that Ruf to me isnt crap and if you dont like it and feel it is crap i will take it off your hands..

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008

Greg

First off you would have more than likely got 15 crap autographs from your case, its not like they made these cards after you opened it. They where in the product already and odds are you would have pulled them anyway.

As for them giving you anything more we will say it again, thank the scammers who say they didn't get something when in fact they did. Since their case didnt have 3 1/1 autos they deserve more! So they open a fake claim saying they didnt get all their autographs.

I just went back and I cant even find one poster painting you a scammer care to show us one?

Members online

Latest posts