Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is in the HOF but shouldn't be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Gossage should be in IMO. Dominant closer of his time.

I have no real problem with Ozzie being in, but I still can't fathom how he made it in so much earlier than Andre Dawson did, they were both eligible at the same time...

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Gossage should be in IMO. Dominant closer of his time.

I have no real problem with Ozzie being in, but I still can't fathom how he made it in so much earlier than Andre Dawson did, they were both eligible at the same time...

Very good question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I said the voting is flawed.

Everyone knows that Joe DiMaggio is a first ballot hall of famer.

Everyone. It's not his fault the voters are jackasses. That's why I said the voting system needs an overhaul. There are people you mention who at first ballot people, and it's clear when you see their name you know they're a first ballot guy. The system has always been flawed, and it's BS.

Overhaul the system and make it a one or done.

You're either a first ballot hall of famer, or you're not a hall of famer at all. That's my view on the matter.

These guys that take several years to get in don't deserve to be in. Not Whitey, not Santo, and many others.

The whole system is a bunch of bull**** and we all know it. The steroid era is creating a ton of problems, and there'sa ton of ignorant voters out there who do **** out of spite.

Make up a system that has set in stone statistics for each position. You reach a set number in the majority of these categories, and you're in, no question. A vote won't be necessary. The human element will be removed. No bias, no ignorant voters holding grudges, no nonsense. You don't, you're out. End of story.
There was a backlog of players back in the day which is why a lot of those guys didn't get in on the first ballot, totally different than today.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Anyone else here think it's suspicious that 2 years after Ron Santo's death, which was 36 years after his last game, he gets elected into the HOF?

Stats:
9x AS
5x GG
2254 Career Hits
342 Career HR
.277 Career AVG

Hit stats are comparable to guys like: Scott Rolen, Ruben Sierra, and Bobby Bonilla. None of which are, or will ever be in the HOF.

You are comparing players from 2 completely different eras. In fact, the 60's and the 90/2000's are totally opposing eras.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
You are comparing players from 2 completely different eras. In fact, the 60's and the 90/2000's are totally opposing eras.

Let's take a look at some more guys whose stats are similar, but aren't and likely will never be in the HOF: Ken Boyer, Dale Murphy, and Aramis Ramirez. I still don't quite understand why a pass was made for Ron Santo.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Brooks Robinson - 23 seasons
.267/.322/.401
.723 OPS
2,848 hits
268 HR
1,357 RBI
78.4 WAR
4,270 total bases
.971 Field %
162 game avg – 159 hits/15 HR/76 RBI

Ron Santo - 15 seasons
.277/.362/.464
.826 OPS
2,254 hits
342 HR
1,331 RBI
70.4 WAR
3,779 total bases
.954 Field %
162 game avg – 163 hits/25 HR/96 RBI

For some reason, unknown to me, you left out the stats where you compare the post season records; please share?

Also, Brooks changed the game defensively at third. They may be similar with their regular season batting, Brooks was also a clutch hitter, but no one I know was comparing the best 3rd baseman of the day to Santo. Now I do think Santo was a very good 3rd baseman for sure.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Let's take a look at some more guys whose stats are similar, but aren't and likely will never be in the HOF: Ken Boyer, Dale Murphy, and Aramis Ramirez. I still don't quite understand why a pass was made for Ron Santo.

I think Ken Boyer was a very good player and 3rd baseman. Like you, I don't think he'll ever be in the Hall, but I liked the way he played the game; his brother wasn't to shabby either.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
For some reason, unknown to me, you left out the stats where you compare the post season records; please share?

Also, Brooks changed the game defensively at third. They may be similar with their regular season batting, Brooks was also a clutch hitter, but no one I know was comparing the best 3rd baseman of the day to Santo. Now I do think Santo was a very good 3rd baseman for sure.

So you're penalizing Santo for being on a bad team for his career?

I also don't know too many "clutch" hitters with a career .723 ops

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom

I also don't know too many "clutch" hitters with a career .723 ops

I don't know if there's any truth to this, but I've always heard as a collective whole, the baseball writers hated Santo's guts and only put him in after death as a punishment.

I think the same will be done with Pete Rose.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
I don't know if there's any truth to this, but I've always heard as a collective whole, the baseball writers hated Santo's guts and only put him in after death as a punishment.

I think the same will be done with Pete Rose.

Hulk Hogan will become President before Pete Rose gets into the HOF.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011

Bad team? From what I remember the Cubs had some great players on their team in Santo's era. You had HOFers Banks, Williams, Jenkins, and Lou Brock for a bit. From what I recall off the top of my head they had some really good players as well, like Hundley, Kessinger and Beckert; I'm sure there were more.

It's just my view, but one of the problems with Santo being elected was that the Cubs already had Jenkins, Williams, and Banks in the Hall from his era, and they never really hit the mark as a team and then you had Santo as well. You're going to put another guy in and the Cubs couldn't even win their division?

Last edited:

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Bad team? From what I remember the Cubs had some great players on their team in Santo's era. You had HOFers Banks, Williams, Jenkins, and Lou Brock for a bit. From what I recall off the top of my head they had some really good players as well, like Hundley, Kessinger and Beckert; I'm sure there were more.

It's just my view, but one of the problems with Santo being elected was that the Cubs already had Jenkins, Williams, and Banks in the Hall from his era, and they never really hit the mark as a team and then you had Santo as well. You're going to put another guy in and the Cubs couldn't even win their division?
You just made my point.

Bad team = they never won anything

And some are trying to penalize him for that, while telling me that Robinson is the nuts with a career .700 OPS

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Can I make the assumption that you didn't have the opportunity to see either of these players, B. Robby and Santo, on a regular basis during their playing days?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Can I make the assumption that you didn't have the opportunity to see either of these players, B. Robby and Santo, on a regular basis during their playing days?
I am 37, but have watched baseball all my life, seen plenty of highlights of both, and am a student of the history of the game.

I don't want to hear all of the "clutch" BS either. He had a great 1970 World Series, in which he won the MVP.

Aside from that, he was a mediocre hitter in the postseason as well.

Members online

Latest posts