Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Babe Ruth "E" Bat Knob - Why??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
In the defense of someone at Topps, the three was written more like an E. Probably they didn't even know what it was.

I find it laughable that the person is asking 18 grand for it and still is charging for shipping. Didn't want to give up the ten bucks I guess.

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
In the defense of someone at Topps,
NO, there is simply NO defense for this!!! Topps is a Baseball card company and they probably shelled out a few bucks on that to put it into a card. The fact that they let that go through like that is a perfect reflection of what a piss poor product they make and how little they care about their customers or the hobby in general. Oh my God, I was so pissed off when I saw that!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I just think someone should have made sure a card like that ends up looking correctly. Some mess ups are forgivable , this to me is not. But that just my opinion

Ryan

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Really funny. Topps is a joke. It's actually a really awesome knob but the way it's displayed does take away from it IMO. It's sad.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The real trajedy is they took a piece of history and cut it up and put it in a card.

I'm not as concerned about that. As many have said before, it's hard to believe I'd ever own a Ruth bat but owning a small piece of one is pretty cool...... If it's authentic lol

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
How do you know it's a 3? It could be an E, which is what it looks like. Maybe he had codes for different bats. Could also be an M or W.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Just doing a google image search, it doesnt appear any other Ruth bat knobs have his number on them. It looks as if a capitol letter E was stamped into the bat knob. One image at another bat knob looks like it has a Z put into the knob from a knife or something like that. I think it might be a stamp from the bat company. Ive been to the Louisville Slugger factory a couple times now and they stamp each bat with a number or letter. Other images that show up that arnt Ruth bats show these stampings as well.

I didnt think Topps actually produced the cards anymore? I thought they farmed it all out and the people who do the work, chances are they have no idea what or who any of the players are, let alone would know how to properly place the memorabilia.

"You mean that wimp E deer?"

"Oh yeah, the Great Bambino. Of course! I thought you said the Great Bambi."...

Nice Sandlot quote.

Fordman

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Just doing a google image search, it doesnt appear any other Ruth bat knobs have his number on them. It looks as if a capitol letter E was stamped into the bat knob. One image at another bat knob looks like it has a Z put into the knob from a knife or something like that. I think it might be a stamp from the bat company. Ive been to the Louisville Slugger factory a couple times now and they stamp each bat with a number or letter. Other images that show up that arnt Ruth bats show these stampings as well.

I didnt think Topps actually produced the cards anymore? I thought they farmed it all out and the people who do the work, chances are they have no idea what or who any of the players are, let alone would know how to properly place the memorabilia.

"Oh yeah, the Great Bambino. Of course! I thought you said the Great Bambi."...

Nice Sandlot quote.

Fordman

I stated I could be off , if I am , all apologies to Topps in not turning the E into a 3. It didn't originally come to mind it could be a letter , esp w Ruth being #3

Ryan

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I stated I could be off , if I am , all apologies to Topps in not turning the E into a 3. It didn't originally come to mind it could be a letter , esp w Ruth being #3

Ryan

Not capping on ya or anything! It just looks like an 'E' was stamped into the wood. Whether a 3 or an E, whoever assembled the card probably doesnt know Ruth's number nor do they care, just another card, send it down the line!

Fordman

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It might be just me but I don't think that's a stamp with how ridged it is. It looks like someone carved it themselves.

Members online

Latest posts