Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card Shop Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I'm considering going into business with a memorabilia and sports card shop with a friend. It will feed off the foot traffic of the successful indoor sports complex he already runs, so there is virtually no overhead other than inventory. We will also use eBay, Craig's List, etc.

We already have a very solid business plan and enough memorabilia to fuel a store for a year or more, but I wanted to reach out to you all to see if you have any ideas for such a shop. What do you buy from the shops (trying to determine the type of items that will be most popular), what do you think are the hot items, any special outside the box ideas, etc.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Honestly, when I go to an LCS I always buy supplies, but I'm sure thats a given. Its just cheaper to buy the supplies from an LCS rather than order them online. I know I'm not much help considering I make it to a shop 3-5 times a year

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
If "with a Friend" means a half & half partnership, forget it. If it's a deal where you do all the work & get 80%, maybe. There's no such store than can support a man's family at 50% of the profits. Partnerships suck anyway, most are doomed to failure from day 1.

Good Advice^

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
If you can get into a place with little overhead and you have stock there's no real risk involved. Too many cocky fools jump into these ventures and there gone Ina year or two or loose a ton of cash bad credit etc. if there's no risk do it

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I'd say watch out for the little kids and their parents - have something that can grab their attention and pick up for $1-$5.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

That being said, I'm not really in need of "do it/don't do it" advice, I have another business that allows me to live a comfortable life so this would be mostly for fun and extra money on top. The way it's set up, there is essentially no risk because our overhead is covered by his other thriving business. Our only real expense is inventory.

We have plenty of "bling" especially with big memorabilia pieces, but I like the point [MENTION=2451]Lars[/MENTION] made, I think it will be vitally important to set up the $0.01-$5 items in a way that allows us to move as much product as possible, since that price range includes virtually everyone that walks in the door.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
The best advice I can give you is to not get into non wax inventory. Best shop ever was a shop where the owner sold wax/supplies/novelties and then consigned cases for singles. You can never replicate the variety and prices on your own that 15-20 dealers can provide. They were always cycling new inventory in the store.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

That being said, I'm not really in need of "do it/don't do it" advice, I have another business that allows me to live a comfortable life so this would be mostly for fun and extra money on top. The way it's set up, there is essentially no risk because our overhead is covered by his other thriving business. Our only real expense is inventory.

We have plenty of "bling" especially with big memorabilia pieces, but I like the point @Lars made, I think it will be vitally important to set up the $0.01-$5 items in a way that allows us to move as much product as possible, since that price range includes virtually everyone that walks in the door.

danboone2006

May 22, 2010
Cleveland OH
Depending on the layout of the location, having a separate entrance instead of having to walk through the facility would be key. There was a similar shop around here that failed, I liked the shop but I think people got lazy/confused because they didn't realize where the shop was.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
having a revolving door of inventory will be a must..you don't want stale cards you see in the same case every time you walk in the shop. Having a good overall knowledge of what cards/players will sell is a must. Ebay will still be the shops main source of inventory movement (whether you want it that way or not). Pack nights are a must.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Something my lcs does is a monthly case break. It's a great time and they usually do a few older products with a good amount of hits or a product with case hits like legendary cuts. The cost is usually in the 100-125 range and aside from everyone having a good time he sells a ton of other wax and cards those nights. It's an easy way to get 20 or so people in your store at one time.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
For the kids and low end collectors I always do well at flea markets with my own hot packs. Guarantee an autograph or jersey card in every pack. I sold mine for $3 each, mixture of about 20 commons semistars and stars and 1 auto or game used. I put in team bags then wrapped them in brown lunch bags so nobody could mess with them. I would mix in $20-$30 cards too. Also made regular packs of 20 or so cards for $1

FromKoufaxtoEdwin

Aug 15, 2008
If "with a Friend" means a half & half partnership, forget it. If it's a deal where you do all the work & get 80%, maybe. There's no such store than can support a man's family at 50% of the profits. Partnerships suck anyway, most are doomed to failure from day 1.

Good Advice^

That's just not true at all.